AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if I want to buy an HS-20... how does one go about it at this point? No one seems to have it for sale yet, yet I read about "pre-orders". I am new at this and any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
899 Posts
I also would like to know.....

Any supporters/sponsors of the forum, going to be selling them?

Robert Willis

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R_Willis
I also would like to know.....

Any supporters/sponsors of the forum, going to be selling them?

Robert Willis
I bought my HS10 from Projector People, an AVS sponsor. Good to work with. I imagine they will also sell the HS20.

Gary

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have "preordered" an HS-20 from my local Sony dealer. All the term means to me is that I am being promised the first one delivered to the dealer at a price to be negotiated later. The store claims that "dealer pricing" has yet to be established. Typically, there is little discounting on new Sony products; I usually get 5-10% off retail. Shipping is supposed to be in October/November time frame. I would also like to know if any special pricing deals are being arranged.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It looks like some of the usual Japanese sites have them for around $2500. Since they're about $1K off retail and will probably have supplies earliest, it might be a good way to go. Forums rules don't allow me to be more specific.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How are warranty issues handled with Japanese vendors? Also, are the manuals and connections the same?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think there would be no warranty. The menus are most likely defaulted to japanese too. You would need to know where the language selection is in the menus or have a japanese friend to change it to english. :) The power supplies would most likely be desinged to be a world model and work here. Not sure if english manuals would be included, but we will likely be able to download an english version in .pdf format at some point. These are the hassels and the savings is probably only going to be about $500. I'm going to buy in the states to get the warranty, but out of my state to avoid sales tax.

These are all my best guesses and I'm not sure if any of the statements are correct.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EHUFF
I think there would be no warranty.
The warranties are usually one year and follow the projector. However, they need to be sent back to Japan for these issues. My understanding is that means they are generally transferable, which is a positive for those few of us who don't keep things very long.

--Darin

·
Registered
523 Posts
It does not seem worth it to consider a purchase from a Japanese dealer; if something goes wrong the hassle of shipping the item back to Japan alone would be a time-consuming pain in the butt! Besides, if we all started doing this then we would lose many of our specialty dealers over here (something already occuring because of Best Buys, Circuit City, etc.) I for one will purchase locally from an established dealer who will support me if some problem develops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once the warranty has expired, will Sony-U.S. accept a Japanese model for out-of-warranty (customer-paid) repair, or do they reject them still?

HS10 type (in-warranty) problems aside, I'd be more concerned of getting repairs done outside the warranty period, if I had to send it back to Sony-Japan and figure out a way to pay for it too.

Luke

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Docray1
It does not seem worth it to consider a purchase from a Japanese dealer
It is up to each person, but for those impatient types like me, waiting until January to get an AE500 isn't a good option. Plus, you guys want reviews and measurements, don't you :) Might even help the US dealers sell some more if people get some reviews they can trust.

If they were available in the US at the same time for even close to the same price I would buy in the US. Sounds like that might end up being the case with the HS20.

--Darin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.