AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I found a local person a "Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB" for $550 cdn ($600 usd) in my area, it has 1400 Hours on it. Should I buy it? I would assume the bulb is pretty near death. That being said $550 is stretching my budget but I do want a 1080p projector.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I would take a look at the thread here at AVS dedicated to that unit and see what problems have been cropping up as the units age. Polorizers tend to fail on LCDs just as color wheels fail on DLP units. You also have issues with dust blobs but that is something you can check before you buy.. Figure on $300 for a replacement OEM lamp. All said, if you can demo the unit, and the image is bright and you can not see any discoloration issues or convergence issues I would probably make an offer of $400 USD There are new units for $1000 so total output of $700 for unit and new lamp is a bit high in my mind.. The market and the needs of the seller drive the price of used.. if you got money and the seller needs said money, you are in the divers seat. You can always go up but never back down once you make an offer..

Good luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes
I would take a look at the thread here at AVS dedicated to that unit and see what problems have been cropping up as the units age. Polorizers tend to fail on LCDs just as color wheels fail on DLP units. You also have issues with dust blobs but that is something you can check before you buy.. Figure on $300 for a replacement OEM lamp. All said, if you can demo the unit, and the image is bright and you can not see any discoloration issues or convergence issues I would probably make an offer of $400 USD There are new units for $1000 so total output of $700 for unit and new lamp is a bit high in my mind.. The market and the needs of the seller drive the price of used.. if you got money and the seller needs said money, you are in the divers seat. You can always go up but never back down once you make an offer..

Good luck!
I just bought a refurb from epson for 899 with a two year warranty. I love it. The projector I had before was an acer h5360 and an mits hc4000. The 1080 has really nice black levels and brightness.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Okay - Benito who sells this stuff for AVS advises reluctance in buying something used without a warranty.

SORRY BENITO - We bought our Panny almost 4 yrs ago - a demo unit of a big box store - NO WARRANTY - still working great and we paid about 20% of current market value at the time. The projector is still performing perfectly while we continue to suffer the consequences of paying a TON less than new with a warranty. About the only thing we buy "new" is clothes - otherwise we buy two or three old "used" and pay a fraction of "new".

Just IMO - I don't think the venue of a forum should allow the intrusion of forum sales reps - their opinion has to be tainted

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Someone is selling same on AVS for $750 but include a new Epson lamp from Calif. The seller has no prior record.

Personally buying used is pot luck, esp. when someone has no prior record. I myself had bought and sold. You need to ask the right questions, such as in the case of Epson, any panel discoloration.

Since your seller is in Canada, I'll go with that one for $600, IMHO; price is right. If you want warranty, price goes up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The possible lack of warranty is my only concern when buying something used that's somewhat costly. It's a crapshoot with anything, especially electronics.

I've had 3 cameras, 2 laptops, tvs,etc that have never needed warranty work but without one, you could easily end up spending as much to fix something as it cost you to buy it used.

Of course, my first car had 252,000 miles on it-no warranty- when I BOUGHT it and I kept it for 5 years until it reached 400,000 and then gave it to my little brother so you never know lol

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/20825962

Just IMO - I don't think the venue of a forum should allow the intrusion of forum sales reps - their opinion has to be tainted

??????? you are saying the people that pay for this site should not be able to post on it.. WOW how does that work?

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/20825962

Okay - Benito who sells this stuff for AVS advises reluctance in buying something used without a warranty.

SORRY BENITO - We bought our Panny almost 4 yrs ago - a demo unit of a big box store - NO WARRANTY - still working great and we paid about 20% of current market value at the time. The projector is still performing perfectly while we continue to suffer the consequences of paying a TON less than new with a warranty. About the only thing we buy "new" is clothes - otherwise we buy two or three old "used" and pay a fraction of "new".

I disagree with you. I've called Benito about some deals I've found in my area, and he told me to grab the deal. Benito isn't all about making a sale. For that reason, I go to Benito with all my questions, and all non-deal sales (they are still deals!).

Sounds like you got lucky with your Panasonic, but not everyone will be as lucky. Your bulb could've exploded 3 months later, then what? I think Benito is probably the least pushy sales rep I've dealt with. I think AVS offer refurbs too. Maybe just call Benito and see what he can offer you. Perhaps the prices will be close enough that buying from a reputable dealer might be worth a few extra bucks. Never hurts to ask imho.

·
Banned
960 Posts
wow imjay.....not sure what to say to that?!?!? i would understand your post if i told him to absolutely not go through with it and buy new, but i simply told him that i would be worried buying without a warranty. Same as others posted.

I'm really glad that panny worked out for you. On the flip side, i've heard way too many horror stories of people bought used through craigslist / ebay only to get ripped off. One thing i hate is seeing anyone get screwed for their hard earned money!

benito

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin /forum/post/20828258

wow imjay.....not sure what to say to that?!?!? i would understand your post if i told him to absolutely not go through with it and buy new, but i simply told him that i would be worried buying without a warranty. Same as others posted.

I'm really glad that panny worked out for you. On the flip side, i've heard way too many horror stories of people bought used through craigslist / ebay only to get ripped off. One thing i hate is seeing anyone get screwed for their hard earned money!

benito

X2.

This stuff happens daily. Color wheels break, ballasts wear out, polarizers fail, this stuff happens. Not to mention, anytime you buy a used projector, you might as well order a bulb at the same time, as it could fail at any moment.

For a 1080ub i would offer him 500, and if he doesn't like it, keep on looking. If money is tight, i would shop for a 6-700 dollar 720p projector new with a warranty. It really sucks paying 800 bucks for something, and having it break after 2 weeks. Trust me, it sucks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My personal choice if buying used, buy it from a reputable dealer with at least a 30 day warranty. If you can get a SquareTrade warranty, even better.

With that said, I wouldn't trust a used PJ with that many hours off the street. Speaking from experience, I bought a "factory refurbished" Optoma GT720 and less than 6 months later, I started having all these little white dots appear on the screen (dead pixels). I don't even know why I didn't buy the SquareTrade warranty as I always had when buying used electronics, but now I'm kicking myself; But that's cool, I got tired of 3D anyhow.

Buying a 1080p PJ should be a investment not taken lightly, IMHO. Do research and select wisely and if something is out of your budget, wait a couple months longer to save up for it, or by this time, the newer models would have come out and the price of the PJ you wanted would have dropped in price. Before the GT720 incident, I bought a brand new Epson 8100 in August of 2010 and the very next month they came out with the 8350 for the same price! Thankfully this PJ has been great so far. Only issues I have is that after a couple weeks the picture starts to shift lower (the verticle adjustment wheel is loose or something).

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
To me it is like buying a used car. If you really know what you are buying and you can (VERY IMPORTANT) See it work and check it out first, you can get a nice piece of equipment for a fraction of the cost of a new one. You can also get a lemon.. I am not that lucky of a person but my used projectors have all done me well and my current (had over 4000 hours on it (DLP)) now has over 6000 and is going strong. Lamp has 1600 hours on it and I am thinking of investing in the tools to do a second calibration myself. Will probably never buy new projector, planing on a used Marantz when I do finally upgrade someday... Warranty has never worked for me.. things break well after they expire.. never fails for me.. Good luck and do your research before you buy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
I would like to ask a related question here.

I have found benq w1070 in our local store with full warranty of 2 years. Only issue is that it's a display piece and is the last available stock. Should I buy it?

Thanks a lot for all to reply quick :)

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Has it just been on display on a shelf and not run or has it been run and if so for how many hours? If it hasn't been run be sure to pull the lens cap and make sure someone hasn't scratched the lens while pawing it over. Also, what's the asking price? New, unused W1070s have been selling on closeout sale for $499.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has it just been on display on a shelf and not run or has it been run and if so for how many hours? If it hasn't been run be sure to pull the lens cap and make sure someone hasn't scratched the lens while pawing it over. Also, what's the asking price? New, unused W1070s have been selling on closeout sale for $499.
Hi Dave

Thanks for the input. I am from a KSA where normally online markets wont ship direct/free. This means we need to pay the extra $100-$200 for shipping. Also this applies in case of any warranty claim.

The local vendor is the Benq distributor here and they are good. I have seen this last piece at one of their show rooms.

The tips that you mentioned would be taken care. Should I worry about the color wheel. Will there be any problem if it is kept in display for a very long time. Normally they don't power on the projector.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
There should be no problem if the projector has just been displayed on a shelf for customers to see and has not actually been projecting an image for many hours. One possible issue is age. The W1070 was introduced in 2012. If your vendor has had this sitting for the last 5 years in a window display exposed to direct sunlight there could be minor degradation from exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays. Also if it's an older model it could have old firmware that needs updating. If there's a way to check the date of manufacture you could find out exactly how old this unit is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There should be no problem if the projector has just been displayed on a shelf for customers to see and has not actually been projecting an image for many hours. One possible issue is age. The W1070 was introduced in 2012. If your vendor has had this sitting for the last 5 years in a window display exposed to direct sunlight there could be minor degradation from exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays. Also if it's an older model it could have old firmware that needs updating. If there's a way to check the date of manufacture you could find out exactly how old this unit is.
Oh yes, I did not think of the age and quality degrade. Need to check the manufacturing date.

I have been searching for a 1080p projector with excellent picture quality and price range between $500 - $700. Finally I came down to w1070, w1070+ and w2000. All being with almost same picture quality (from the discussions and reviews), decided to go with the w1070 for its price. Here the w1070 is $700, w1070+ is around $850 and w2000 is $900.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Oh yes, I did not think of the age and quality degrade. Need to check the manufacturing date.

I have been searching for a 1080p projector with excellent picture quality and price range between $500 - $700. Finally I came down to w1070, w1070+ and w2000. All being with almost same picture quality (from the discussions and reviews), decided to go with the w1070 for its price. Here the w1070 is $700, w1070+ is around $850 and w2000 is $900.
Well, there's always some risk to buying a PJ off of ebay without manufacturer warranty. My Sony AW15 was bought new and worked great for 5 years until I sold it (on ebay) but my Panasonic AE8000U (also bought new) had a circuit board failure just shy of the 2 year warranty period expiring that would have sucked if we had to pay for repairs out of pocket. After that incident, I decided to only buy new and from an authorized dealer for a projector that costs more than $2000. For a cheaper one, used, it can be worth it if the price is sufficiently low enough to offset the risk of failure. I would still try to find a cheaper one new and from a dealer than a better PJ that is used. They have new 1080p DLP projectors for $700 so it's probably best to go that route.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.