AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have an ipad2,appletv 2 and my pcs at home. Will be getting iPhone 5s when they come out and if a new Appletv comes out ill be getting that also. But I used to have a ps3 then I sold it but now that my speak setup is complete (6.1). I miss having the ability for full bluray streams, and loseless movie soundtracks. Im wondering if I should buy the WD live plus to compliment the appletv? I've read that it is able to play bluray rips with the loseless formats such as dts hd ma and dolby hd. thanks!

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
The Live+ bitstreams DD True HD but not DTS-MA. It plays BD main title rips very well but doesn't do full disk BD menus. If either of those are important to you, you need to be looking at Dune or PCH. You will pay a lot more money for those features.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by note235 /forum/post/20772042

the menus do not matter to me, but can the live do PCM?

I've had two BluRay titles with LPCM sound tracks and the Live+ would not play them. I had to select the DD 5.1 tracks.

When I say " it would not play" them, I mean it would not bitstream LPCM to my AVR over HDMI. I have read posts by others confirming that the Live+ does not play LPCM on BluRay. I have no DVD.iso rips with LPCM so I cannot say whether or not it will do LPCM on a DVD. You might try asking in the main WD Live or Live+ threads.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
I would research the option of a PS3 vs. your wants/needs very carefully. It is a game console first and foremost with some very limited media streaming functionality. It is also fully compliant with Cinavia DRM.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr
The Live+ does not decode any HD audio. It will however allow HDMI passthru if your AVR can decode.
That is what I meant when I wrote the Live+ bitstreams DD True HD but not DTS-MA. It bitstreams out the HDMI. It will only do DTS Core not DTS-MA because they don't have a license for it. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson
That is what I meant when I wrote the Live+ bitstreams DD True HD but not DTS-MA. It bitstreams out the HDMI. It will only do DTS Core not DTS-MA because they don't have a license for it. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
So what happens if you have a bluray ripped to your hard drive in DTS-MA. Will it automatically play in core DTS, or do you have to also have a seperate DTS track ripped as well?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
i just rip both DTS tracks, to future proof my collection. First time out I watch the Blu Ray after that I rip it and am OK with a bit less sound quality from my WD. But truth be told it's not that much of a step down on most movies. I have an audyssey 7.1 setup with 10 speakers and 99% of the time I use the wide speakers rather than the rear and the quality is fine streaming through the WD unit.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/20777417

So what happens if you have a bluray ripped to your hard drive in DTS-MA. Will it automatically play in core DTS, or do you have to also have a seperate DTS track ripped as well?

This becomes a problem on HDDVD rips, many of which do not include a core DTS (or even a DD) track due to not being a requirement of the HDDVD specs (HDDVD players were required to do on-board decoding of HD tracks). I still haven't found a good solution. I've tried remuxing the audio, but it results in lip sync issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i see

my AVR does decode both loseless pcm

im thinking about picking one up then

but a local seller is selling the Patriot Box Office for $55

should i jump on that instead?

would that decode DTS HD MA as well Dolby HD?

thanks!

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/20777417

So what happens if you have a bluray ripped to your hard drive in DTS-MA. Will it automatically play in core DTS,

Yes. I rip all my BD main titles to BD.m2ts with only the DTS-HD audio track. The WD Live+ bitstreams the DTS core to my AVR through the HDMI connection. I've never ripped a title with multiple audio tracks.

95% of the disks I've ripped have DTS-MA audio. I've only had 2 titles with DD True HD (which the Live+ does bitstream) and a couple titles with LPCM (which the Live+ didn't know what to do with).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20778601

Yes. I rip all my BD main titles to BD.m2ts with only the DTS-HD audio track. The WD Live+ bitstreams the DTS core to my AVR through the HDMI connection. I've never ripped a title with multiple audio tracks.

95% of the disks I've ripped have DTS-MA audio. I've only had 2 titles with DD True HD (which the Live+ does bitstream) and a couple titles with LPCM (which the Live+ didn't know what to do with).

Thanks, so if I were to rip a BD with LPCM (some of the Harry Potter movies come to mind), I would not want to rip it in LPCM, but in one of the core audios, like DD. If it is DTS-MA or DD True HD, just rip away, and the WD Live+ will do well with it?

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/20779936

Thanks, so if I were to rip a BD with LPCM (some of the Harry Potter movies come to mind), I would not want to rip it in LPCM, but in one of the core audios, like DD. If it is DTS-MA or DD True HD, just rip away, and the WD Live+ will do well with it?

It was one of the Harry Potter movies with LPCM that first gave me trouble. It only comes with LPCM or DD/5.1, no DTS. The WD didn't pass the LPCM through HDMI so I had to rip the title with DD/5.1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.