AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for a little buying advise for the home theater A/V system I'm trying to replace (Sony ES DA555, 20 yr old American Acoustics tower mains, Polk rears and center - real hodge-podge). I've decided on Rotel, and possibly B&W speakers all around. The room is a dedicated home theater that measures 14x19, with the first set of seats about 10 feet from the mains.

The questions:

1.) Do I go with a Rotel receiver for the Pre Amp, or do I go with the 1068 Pre/Pro. The 1068 is getting old (No HDMI's), and is rumored to be replaced by a new model within the year - I wish Rotel would confirm their plans on this. In actuality, I wouldn't even use the HDMI's until about 3 years down the road. If I went with the 1068 now, I would probably want to replace around then to take advantage of HDMI video switching. What is the real difference between the 1057 receiver and the 1068 Pro/Pro, besides the amp or course? What about the Pre/Pro functionality? Does the 1057 offer the same flexibility as the 1068?

2.) Given the room size, would I be better off with the 1095 Amp (200Wx5), or the 1075 (120Wx5)? I'm not locked into the B&W's and I know they are little power hungry. I know there are more efficient speakers out there, and plan on taking a closer look at Focal, Monitor, Polk LSI, and NHT (if I can find them). I have considerable low end, with an SVS PB12-Plus/2 (2 12's w/900 watts), and have listened to the B&W 704's and liked them. If I choose B&W, it will be the 700 series, as I can't afford anything above ~2K for the floorstanding mains alone. Still need to check out the other brands mentioned above.

The 1095 is exactly twice the price of the 1075. If I buy the 1075 and decide I need more power later, can I bridge in another 1075? Would this maybe be the better way to go anyways, given the price difference? $1800 for 1 1095 or 2 1075's. Is there a better amp configuration that would be more efficient/cost effective? Do I really need 200W to the rear surrounds? Side note - I also plan to add a distribution amp to run the rest of the house (1048 @ 40Wx8).

That's enough to chew on for now. What do you think?

Kevin

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had been looking at the Rotel 1057 for a new system in the last week myself, and had auditioned it next to the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi. I really found the pioneer to sound better. Additionally, the pioneer has some kickass features (video upconversion using the Faroudja DCDi chip, HDMI switching, and 7.1 analog input), and as such it made the case pretty cut and dry.

I havent' bought yet, but I'm pretty sure the rotel is out. Bummer too, as it's dead sexy. At the minimum, check out the Pioneer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.