AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, after weeks of lurking this board i'm ready for my first post...

Just as the subject says, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Sony 34XBR800. 99.95% of the posts i've read about this tv are amazingly positive, and i haven't found any other similar sized/price tv's that seem to do the trick.

ok, anyway, minor panic attacks (am i getting the right set) aside. does anyone have any stratgies on how i can get the absolute lowest price? i live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and i'd prefer to buy locally (seems to be consensus of board users), but obviously i want to pay as little as possible.

the cheapest price i've found online if $1848 but i'm not sure where the store is located, so there is probably shipping involved which is both dangerous and expensive. so, any ideas on how i can get that price out here, preferably from a store or a local e-tailer that i can pick up from?

btw, just to put my last reservations to rest, anyone have thoughts about the XBR800 vs. Toshiba 34HDX82?

thanks for reading this longer than expected post.

-j

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The cheapest way to purchase it would be to find a friend of a friend who works for Sony.... then you could get the employee discount and purchase at the Sony Store (direct from the factory) for $ 1654.10 with the stand and with free shipping. I have a friend who is doing just that.

I'm hoping to cash in on a few favors whenever I have $1654 to spend!

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
I know that some Circuit City's has the 34xbr800 on sale for like $1849 or $1900 or something like that. I don't know which ones had it on sale, but I have heard of other people getting one Circuit City to pricematch that price at a different one.

Usually, the best way to negotiate is to first let the salesman know you're serious about getting the TV and that you are interested in buying it THAT DAY. They'll be a little more flexible on the price if they think you'll walk out with it then and there. Plus, make sure you talk about how you've seen it cheaper elsewhere, but you like that store and want to give them the business if they're willing to work with you. You also want to make sure the salesman knows that you've done your research on this product and you know everything about it. One last thing to keep in mind is if you need cables or a power surger or anything like that. Again, salespeople ar emore willing to negotiate on price if you bundle your purchase with a few more accessories and all.

When I negotiated a price for my home theater setup, the salesman asked me what it would take for me to walk out with it then and there and I said to knock off a couple hundred bucks and I'd take it. He discussed things with his manager and came back willing to knock off $180, and I felt that was pretty reasonable, so I took it. In all honesty I was just hoping to save $150, but I did a little better. All you need to have is a set number in your mind and tell the salesman that if they can't give you that price you can easily take your business elsewhere.

I also own a 34xbr800 and I bought mine for $2250. Now, I got mine as soon as they came out and the list price on them was $2499. So, I managed to get mine for $2250 when they first came out, which aint bad. I'd say $2000 is a pretty good number to shoot for.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I live in the SF Bay area also (in San Mateo area). I am also about to start shopping for 34xbr800. Do you want to pool our 2 purchases to potentially get a better deal? So far, I've talked to Anderson's TV in Redwood city/Sunnyvale & a local Circuit City. Anderson's quoted me $2399 on the phone. Circuit City in San Mateo was willing to give me $2300 delivered, FYI. If you want to do the pooling thing, send me a private message. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
What timing! I just negotiated a deal on this set in San Francisco, but have yet to go and purchase it.

I got the Good Guys on Van Ness to sell it for $2099, with financing through at least 2004. It is also available for $2199 (+ $100 giftcard) from Circuit City on Van Ness, but I prefer Good Guys.

I bet we could get them to lower the price even further if we get THREE. PM me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Circuit City

I went in to CC with a list of four on-line retailers with a range from $1849-$2,199, and told the sales rep. if he could get me $1900 I'd buy the TV "right now", he spoke with his manager and we settled @ $1999. I just finished getting the xbr setup, and I can't believe the quality of the picture. I'm very pleased with it's performance out of the box, so whatever price you negotiate, it'll be worth you $$. The HD programming is spectacular. Good luck.

·
Registered
952 Posts
What retailers did you find online that were selling that set? I'm buying the 36xbr800 at the beginning of next month (maybe the 40 depending on room). The only local place for me is Circuit City. I'd like to go in there with some ammo myself.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Circuit City in notoriusly slow on their repair work especially on warranty work.

Most of the big chains will have poor to shoddy repairs. The best place to buy to be sure your warranty will be #1 is your local retailer, that will fix your expensive TV somewhere down the road.

I know Sears is okay, but the big ones only want your money, tell you sell your old one some where else; and buy another one from us type of thinking. The retailer on the other hand takes your TV as a trade in on a new TV and that service is what the retailer is known for, that you may save now but pay later; the choice is yours make it a right choice.

I of course bought my trouble free HDTV from our families RCA dealer from 1956, that's 46 years in the last century. They have a strong work force, they know from going to factory school; just how to fix a old, modern, TV or HDTV.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
logicbomb, mhr and needmoresleep I too am ready to get the 34xbr800 and live in SF. My research have so far lead me to circuit city or good guys when you want to get this locally. During their after thanksgiving sale CC had it for 1999.99 plus tax with free delivery. I would guess that on their next sale they will again offer the same deal which might be after x'mas day. Good guys will be willing to match this and give maybe $25.00 less--just so you will buy it from them. On the other hand the e-tailer is express audio/video.com located in butler, NJ offers it for 1848.00 plus 184.36 SH with 2 year in-house warranty and will deliver up to the first flight of stairs. I would be willing to go for a 4 set purchase at CC if only we could strike a better deal than what we already know. But separate receipts will be necessary to get warranty down the road. I wonder how they gonna treat that kind of sale to get a discount. Delivery to different address and all. they might hit us with a technicality...I wonder....What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why don't we just buy them all, and open our own store :D

i'd send this in a pm, but now there are too many people involved..

i'm ok, on a group purchase and i'm sure that any of the stores would write us separate reciepts. they are excited to just be selling the units, i don't think they mind ringing it up 4 different times. we need to figure out what kind of deal we want (price? free shipping? accessories? etc.). Can we all pm each other our email, and try and organize?

regarding Hobs point; what's the difference between a retailer & the good guys? Hobs, do you mean we should buy it from the Sony store and pay the list price? that sounds like crazy talk :confused:

anyway if we can all get each others emails we can start coordinating this effort.

-j

·
Registered
952 Posts
Don't listen to hob...first off he has a hard enough time speaking (or typing at least) the English language. Place on top of that his poor taste in television and you have the worst combination.....I suggest if he's going to throw his opinion around (which is always the same points...he's like a broken Barney record...annoying as well as having no content) that he first learn our language.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
debennett2..

This is not a forum on the personality of individuals who visit here, but, rather on the subject at hand! In the future, just do not read Hobs' messages if you find them objectable.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
By the way, I bought from a authorized Sony dealer (Sony Showcase in Lansing, Mi). I know I can get good service in the future in my home and I paid (back in August) $1925 delivered and set up in my home. I believe it always better to do business with a 'local business' if you can get a good price. You can feel confident the service will be there when your set needs it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
logicbomb,

First, I own this TV. The 34" 800 is indeed a fine TV, but don't pay any more than $2200 for it, anywhere. I'm not going to lecture you on the pro's and con's of buying from e-tailers v's B&M stores but, like you, I went back and forth on this issue for weeks before I bought mine. Because, this was a very new product when I was looking to buy it, there weren't many places offering good deals on it. I believe Sony's MSRP was 2999, but in many Internet and B&M stores, it was on sale for 2499.

I ended up buying from a local PC Richard B&M store in NJ. They have a great reputation and I have bought stuff from them before and their tech support is excellent. That said, I suspect you don't have PC Richard in the bay area. However, there must be plenty of other "family owned" chain stores. While Best Buy, CC and and the likes are really nice stores, with lots of fun gadgets and fancy displays, they are not likely to negotiate their prices. When I was shopping for mine, thats what they told me! their prices were non negotiable.

So, here's how I got my deal. I first convinced the sales guy I was serious about buying the TV that day and that I was working within a specified budget that had the WAF. I paid $2000 even, for the TV but also told the sales guy straight up, that i was going to buy the 5 yr extended warranty for $199.00 so he didn't have to try and sell me that. He was back and forth to his manager a few times and finally agreed on the TV price, including a good set of Component Video cables thrown in. Delivery and setup was negligible.

So, how did I get such a good price? well, I think when the sales guy figured I was serious about the purchase, then and there, plus he didn't have to convince me to buy the warranty. I had already figured that if spending that much on a TV, I will need the 5 yr warranty. This is always a "carrot" for the sales guys, because the store makes a 100% profit from it, so maybe this is something you should consider buying. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Mr. Mayor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by debennett2
Don't listen to hob...first off he has a hard enough time speaking (or typing at least) the English language. Place on top of that his poor taste in television and you have the worst combination.....I suggest if he's going to throw his opinion around (which is always the same points...he's like a broken Barney record...annoying as well as having no content) that he first learn our language.
UPDATE:

Good Guys told me that they are unwilling to do anything less than $2099, regardless of the number of sets. Bummer.

I am going to get it there and then watch the prices -- they have a 2 month price match guarantee.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the XBR's have 2 year parts and labor covered anyhow? I know sony sends an authorized repairer to your home. I don't know about you but if it lasts 2 years without problems it usually doesn't run into any problems until you are sick of the set anyhow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The XBR does have 2 yrs parts/labor. But 5 yrs is better than 2 yrs and these repair techs know what they are doing.

Mr. Mayor

·
Registered
125 Posts
hi san francisco prospective buyers: i just got a set from the van ness good guys. i dealt with a salesman who was knowledgeable, honest and willing to make a fair deal... i was stunned! if you'd like his name, email me off list

[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.