AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy NEW EDTV's these days? My needs call for an EDTV over anything else.

I already have a nice 42" LCD 1080P in my living room, great for the PS3, 360 and Blu-Ray. I also have a den with older game consoles and regular DVD, which I currently have a nice Sony 36" CRT for use. I'm looking to replace this CRT with an EDTV.

Trouble is, I cannot seem to find an EDTV anymore. My choices seem to be as follows:

1. Find a used 480p plasma

2. Find a user/discontinued LCD with 852x480 native resolution

3. Find an EDTV-capable CRT (if these even exist)

Widescreen or 4:3 doesn't really matter. I have a mix of wide and standard content, so I'm ok to deal with pillarboxing or letterboxing. What I'm really concerned with is native resolution and progressive scan.

The following are not an option for me:

1. Just buy an HDTV and deal with upscaling

2. Buy anything that's not exactly *x480 native resolution

So am I basically forced to seek out an old, discontinued EDTV, or are there actual 480 choices out there?

This is a medium-sized den, so if I have to settle down to a 20" TV that's ok, but I could handle a large plasma in there as well. Thing is, those older 480p plasmas are more expensive than new 1080P HDTVs, which is odd. I'd think they would go down in price since only people like me with weird, specific needs want an EDTV.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Care to elaborate on why you need an ED TV? If they exist today it would be in a specialty market, and you might pay dearly for it. You would have to have a pretty unique situation for a 720p set not to work for you.

At this point used is about your best option, but as you know people think their used stuff is golden and seem to want to sell it as such.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I mentioned before, I want a screen with native resolution for SD/EDtv content: progressive scan DVDs, 2000-2006 era game consoles (PS2, GC, Xbox) as well as Wii, and also a PC hooked up with TV-out for my older console emulators (which look good at 640x480 but not any higher res).

I already have a 1080p HDTV for Blu-Ray and high-res content, but I've already hooked up my SD content to the 1080p TV and cannot stand how it looks.

Currently I have a 36" Sony WEGA CRT in which the SD content looks phenomenal (much better than being upscaled on the 1080p) but the TV is getting old, I want something smaller in weight/footprint and the Wega isn't progressive-scan capable.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I think your best alternative in today's technology would be a 720p LCD or plasma in a 32" or 37" or 40" size. Simply pick a brand name with a good deinterlacer/scaler such as Sony or Samsung or Panasonic.

There is one class of game which will NOT be usable on any form of progressive display. That is any shooter game which uses a photo-electric gun - like the original NES and "Duck Hunt" for example. Such games basicly sample the light from the screen and reference it to the position of the electron beam by comparing the photoelectric pulse the video signal. Once the SD image has been scaled and the screen refresh changed to something other than 60Hz interlaced, the timing relationship used to establish the direction the gun muzzle is pointing will be lost. ONLY 480i CRT displays (direct-view or RPTV) work with such games.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.