AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in Law is buying an HDTV television for the new house and asked for my help. The guys at the store seem to have the same opinion: Hitachi, Toshiba, or Panasonic. I claim that Sony has some of the best TVs on the market but they say to stay away from Sony for big screens. RCA is a pioneer in the television industry but I just don't know about the quality of their current products.

I can get a good deal on a Panasonic PT47WX51 47" Widescreen Projection TV. It also comes with a free Panasonic DVDRP56 DVD Player worth $400 Canadian. This is a progressive scan DVD player and he does't have a DVD player yet so this may be a good deal for him.

I am tending to shy away from Hitachi because I know people who have had their Hitachi TVs and VCRs break in the past and need frequent repairs. I have had excellent experiences with Panasonic and want to know if this TV is good? Sony is way over priced no matter how good they are.

For now I am considering widescreen, but my brother in LAW says he wants nothing smaller than 55 inches but widescreen is too expensive at 55". He also says he would rather have the black bars on top and bottom when watching movies then have bars on the left and right when watching television so he doesn't want widescreen. He claims that cable is only 4:3 so why buy a widescreen when you can have a much larger 4:3 television for the same price.

I love watching DVDs at my house in widescreen. As far as TV goes, what is the quality like if you stretch a 4:3 signal to 16:9? Within 5 years most stations willl be broadcast in HDTV, and a good TV should last over 20 years, so why not buy the widescreen TV and be prepared for it. Can somebody help me convince the brother in LAW that it would be better to buy a 47" widescreen than a 55" 4:3 HDTV.

I also need help in finding the right TV? Which brand and model. On his budget he's considering either a 47" widescreen or a 55" 4:3 but leaning towards the 55". He's looking at a 55" Toshiba 4:3 but I just don't know. Personally I'd buy a widescreen.

I need some advice for him. Widescreen or not, brands to stick to or stay away from, features to look for, features that he'll never used but are used as a sales pitch, etc... Any info is greatly appreciated and being an communications electronics engineer I am also interested on any good advice on the market for my own curiosity....stuff such as my reading that RCA TVs are made by Pioneer. Mitsubishi TVs catch on fire. Is this stuff true? I am pretty much a novice when it comes to the details of TVs and need some advice? I'm the audio guy...not the video.

I just checked on the free Panasonic DVD player that comes with the TV. My brother in LAW has a Yamaha Dolby surround receiver with all the speakers but the receiver doesn't have a Dolby Digital or DTS decoder built in. But the receiver does have the audio inputs for an external Dolby Digital decoder. He bought it to be upgradable for DVD. So he needs a DVD player with a Dolby Digital Decoder built in and that one doesn't have it. So forget about the deal with the Panasonic. It may still be a good TV though. Or it may be cheaper for him to keep that DVD player and upgrade to a new receiver, or maybe trade that DVD player in for a non progressive scan one that has a dolby digital decoder. Any opinions on this subject?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
866 Posts
Widescreen is the future ..... 4:3 is the past!

It is best if you use the "search" button up above and search out keywords ( panasonic or mitsubishi or widescreen ect ect) and see what people have said about those TV's or issues over the years rather than just spur of the moment today.

Bernie

·
Registered
395 Posts

You'll find plenty of folks here that will offer advice, but to get good results, provide this information:

1. Budget

2. How much will it be used for movies? dvd's? regular tv? hdtv?

3. What other components will you use with the display?

4. Is the user a "hands-on" type that won't mind tweaking and adjusting from time to time?

5. Describe the space that you will use this monitor. Windows, size, etc...

With what you've provided so far though, we can narrow it down a bit. With the high minimum size of 55" you have the choice between rear and front projection systems. Plasma displays (if its in your budget) generally stop around 50" for consumer models.

I just went through my research and went with plasma, but I learned a lot about what people favor in these forums along the way. For rear projection, Pioneer (Elite) and Mitsubishi seem to be the most favored systems. I never seriously considered front projection, and if your space and budget allows, you may want to look at this option; these types of projectors can provide a more "theatre" like experience.

Good luck. --Karl

------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...p?alias=krbuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.