AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I hate to add to the clutter that is this forum, but I too am looking into buying an LCD TV. My budget is $700 right now, but I may just wait in order to save up a few more dollars if the cause is good enough. The TV will be used in my bedroom and will replace a 32" Sanyo CRT TV, if anyone's wondering it's about 8-9ft. viewing distance. I was going to get a 37" LCD, but I'd rather not lose any height given I will be viewing quite a few SD programs for a while. At the moment I've only got an HD-DVD player (HD-A3) and I will probably be viewing alot of SD movies until I can cough up the cash for a blu-ray player. How bad is SD going to look on a 42" 1080p LCD? I don't have very many HD movies right now, but I'm also aiming to change that as well.

Onto the choices...

I've been looking at the 42" Dynex 1080p LCD (DX-LCD42HD-09) for $699 at Best Buy long and hard, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me I should go with a more well-known brand. On the other hand I've also been eyeing the 42" Philips 1080p LCD (42PFL3603D) for $797 at Wal-Mart too because it's a better brand and only 100 bucks more. I guess what I'm looking for is someone with experience with either TV to give me some more information before I take the leap. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

I'm aiming to get atleast a 40" LCD, no plasma because I may occassionally hook up my PC for gaming and I don't want to risk burn-in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as much as I use my computer I'm even experiencing image persitance on my 19" LCD, so any plasma would only be worse. Besides, I don't see any painstakingly good deals on plasmas at this size, but if you know where I can pick up a great brand 42" or 46" 1080p plasma in my budget then by all means point me in that direction. Otherwise I think the best choice for me is an LCD and I want atleast 40" of real estate.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
How bad is SD going to look on a 42" 1080p LCD?

From a progressive scan DVD player, your SD movies will look startlingly good compared with your big cathode ray job.

I made the transfer to 37 inch LCD from a 30 inch CRT and found the change most pleasing. Remember, that virtually ALL movies are shown in wide screen format so no height will actually be lost, rather GAINED considering the wide swaths of black on a 4 X 3 screen in letterbox.

A 40-42 inch is also a very good choice and MANY of these sets are already at your price point if you are a good shopper (Costco, Walmart, BJ's, Target etc.)

I was going to upgrade to 40-42" for the LR but hedged around a bit and I think I can visually manage a 46-47" so I'm "shopping." Since I LOVE my Magnavox 37", I'd have already bought a Phillips or a Magnavox 46 but I dislike the fact that their only audio outputs are coax digital. I have an old Pro-Logic receiver and it wants old fashioned L-R audio which most other TV's offer. (I am hanging onto the receiver becasue of 1000 LP's that I treasure.)

You will probably find SONYs and SAMSUNGs still out of your price range unless you settle for the 37 inch and are VERY lucky.

(BJ's has a great looking 37 inch Toshiba for $749. Target has been doing both the 41 inch Phillips and Magnavox for $749 for several weeks. A nicety about the Phillips/Mag is that reflectivity is perhaps the lowest of any LCD's a factor I love with my 37 incher...I cannot bear to see lamps.)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm really not sure what the point is of insisting on 1080p in a 42" if you will be sitting 8-9' away..? You will be able to notice a terrible black level from 8-9' away, but noticing the difference between 720p and 1080p won't be nearly as easy. Anyway, while the 720p TH-42PX80U is still a bargain, you are probably right that there are not fantastic deals on most 1080p models right now. Those were much cheaper a few weeks ago (~$800 for the TH-42PZ85U). Perhaps you should go to Best Buy and look at the TH-42PX80U and DX-LCD42HD-09 from 8-9' away. I wonder which one of them looks better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play /forum/post/15421715

From a progressive scan DVD player, your SD movies will look startlingly good compared with your big cathode ray job.

I made the transfer to 37 inch LCD from a 30 inch CRT and found the change most pleasing. Remember, that virtually ALL movies are shown in wide screen format so no height will actually be lost, rather GAINED considering the wide swaths of black on a 4 X 3 screen in letterbox.

I've heard the A3's aren't very good at upconverting so I'm planning on picking up a Philips unconverting DVD player because they seem to offer the best picture/price ratio. It doesn't hurt that they are also some of the best DivX players you can buy. Some of my DVDs are 4:3 so I'll have to deal with black bars on those, but I can always make it a priority to rebuy those in HD first. The reason I asked is because I've seen a few TVs displaying upconverted DVDs and some look pretty good and others look horrible. I can't afford to rebuy all of my DVDs on blu-ray right away, or anytime soon for that matter. Hopefully sometime in the next few months I'll be able to pick up a blu-ray player, but until then I'll pick up a few more discounted HD-DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15421773

I'm really not sure what the point is of insisting on 1080p in a 42" if you will be sitting 8-9' away..? You will be able to notice a terrible black level from 8-9' away, but noticing the difference between 720p and 1080p won't be nearly as easy. Anyway, while the 720p TH-42PX80U is still a bargain, you are probably right that there are not fantastic deals on most 1080p models right now. Those were much cheaper a few weeks ago (~$800 for the TH-42PZ85U). Perhaps you should go to Best Buy and look at the TH-42PX80U and DX-LCD42HD-09 from 8-9' away. I wonder which one of them looks better.

I'm aware that a plasma TV will have richer colors as well as deeper blacks, but given computer use, burn-in from the start bar and other objects become a much bigger possibility than normal, everyday use. I'm also aware that my 9' viewing distance will make the difference between 1080p and 720p unnoticable at best on a screen smaller than 46"+. My thinking is that it can only be an improvement upon 720p. But the fact of the matter is that I want an LCD for obvious reasons, burn-in is a very real possibility when computer use is considered. If I was looking for a TV that was better for general movie viewing, I agree that a plasma would be better, but during computer use any particular image can be displayed for hours and hours on end. During gaming sessions I may end up less than 5' from the screen so I think that's plenty close enough to spot the difference between 1080p and 720p.

On another note, I was reading into the 60Hz vs 120Hz debate and so far I've gathered that when playing back material that is 24fps, the frame rate will not divide evenly into 60 so it uses the 3:2 pulldown technique. The 3:2 technique can cause artifacts, but is it something that causes artifacts everytime or what? Would it be worth just saving my cash until I could afford a 120Hz set? I watch movies on my 19" LCD monitor sometimes and don't notice anything, it's refresh rate is 75Hz btw. I also read something about input lag, is this something that I should expect?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was really planning on only spending a set amount, but I've decided that I'll just wait a while longer and get something better. I've almost convinced myself to go ahead and get a 720p plasma since I won't be hooking up my PC that often and when I do it will be mostly for games anyway. What do y'all think of the Samsung PN50A400? 50" seems like it would be plenty of real estate for my bedroom. What's this anti-burn-in technology they mention?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a 40" Toshiba. Very good ratings. If you order from Amazon, they have free White Glove Delivery. They have it for $763 right now. It's one of the better buys in this price range.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-REGZA-...0830881&sr=1-1

You might try looking at the 42" Panasonic Plasma too. It's in your price range, but it's only 720P. But, who cares about 1080P on something smaller than 50" anyway? Personally, for the money, I would get this: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier...831190&sr=1-51

And honestly, if you break in your plasma, you won't have problems with burn-in.

Edit: Also, no sales tax in Florida if bought through Amazon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO and experience SD & Upscaling look GREAT on my 32" panny 32lx85 - but @ 46" on my sony XBR4 - SD and Upscaling look TERRIBLE(OK maybe not terrible, but not GREAT!) at the larger size - Both sets are "name" brands with good reps at doing a good job @ both(SD and Upscaling) using good "upscalers" (PS3 w/the 46" XBR & panny DVD-s54k w/the 32" panny) so I'd be a bit nervous about skimping on "name" brand to get the larger screen size -

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I've seen/read around the net the PS3 isn't a very good upscaler, but I don't have one so I can't comment myself. I understand that it won't be half as nice as a true HD picture, but I want it to be atleast bareable. I'm not one of those guys whose going to buy an HDTV just to start comparing the SD PQ from a CRT to the HDTV. I mean you can't expect a 720x480 picture to look perfect after be stretched to 1024x768, 1366x768, or 1920x1080.

I think I'm going to push for either the Panasonic 50PX80U or the Samsung PN50A400, but I'm not sure which yet. After reading around a little the Samsung seems to have better colors, but the Panasonic has better black levels. It's a coin toss for me. I have some time to think about it so I guess that's what I'll do, but if anyone has anything to add I'm all ears.

Yes, I change my mind alot, but atleast I've steered clear of a possible mistake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.