AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started looking at the RPTV's. Iwant to buy one, and looking to spend around $3,000.00. It seems all the major players have one for around that price. I don't know "JACK" about these RPTV's. But here's what I would like and what I have:

My great room is big, size is not a problem, the viewing area will be from 60 to 120 degrees.

We watch 90% digital cable, 10% DVD's and VHS

Must have PIP

I have a 40 inch tube Mits. now and love it.(moving it to the bedroom)

Which one is going to give me the best pic, and most bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
there are a number of really good rptv's out there. i have the 51swx20b and love it. it was a toss-up between the toshiba 50hdx but in the end i chose the hitachi. with the larger size of your room you should go with the 57" of which ever brand you choose. go to specialty shops to view the tv's, they are more likely to have the units set-up better than the big box stores. trust your own eyes-see which set looks better for you. and see if you can ask about any service issues for the units you are looking at. i am not a technical expert, but the hitachi swx with the wide neck crt's seem to be the best ones out there. half the fun is looking and demoing the various sets-good luck

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm not extremely experienced with RPTV's as I have only recently purchased my first one (Hitachi 65XWX20b...pleased with it overall so far). I came from a 32" direct view and it is an adjusment for sure.

If you like you 40" tube TV that much and you indeed watch 90% standard television, make sure that you are aware of the tradeoffs that will have to be made if you decide on a widescreen 16:9 set. Read a lot (keeping in mind that it is mostly opinion) and try to view regular 4:3 programing on the sets you are interested in (not just DVD and Hi Def that the stores will want to show you).

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.