AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to replace my eight year old JBL Studio S38 fronts and JBL Studio SII-Center in my home theater room. The room measures 20 x 14 x 9. I already have a nice SVS Plus sub. I recently bought a Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver and a pair of Axiom QS8 surrounds. It all sounds pretty good, but my older JBL speakers sound a little less clear and not as detailed as I would like.

I use the audio system about 80% for TV/movies and 20% music. I prefer monitor/bookshelf size fronts. My budget for the three LCR speakers is around $1,500. I've been considering and reading good reviews about speakers such as:

-PSB Imagine B & Imagine C Center

-Monitor Audio Silver RX-2 and Silver RX Center

-Ascend Sierra-1 and Sierra-1 Center

-Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf & Center

-Paradigm Studio 20 and CC-490

I'm thinking that perhaps I should focus first on the center channel speaker given that I mostly listen to TV/movies and clear dialogue and sound detail is very important to me. Does this make sense? If so, and you were buying all three fronts (with a $1,500 budget) what would be the top two or three center speakers on your list?

Thanks very much, Joe

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,228 Posts
Agreed. I would buy the front three speakers at the same time. You want to try them out at the same time to make sure the setup works for you. You want to check for tonal match and dialogue volume.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Focal suggestion. To be clear, I want to buy all three fronts together, I'm just wondering if I should make the decision based on the quality of the center. If so, is there a center speaker that is considered to be much better than the others?

Thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD999 /forum/post/20906569

To be clear, I want to buy all three fronts together, I'm just wondering if I should make the decision based on the quality of the center. If so, is there a center speaker that is considered to be much better than the others?

The decision is yours to make - I like to anchor my system with the

left and right channel speakers - and then balance it with the timbre

(voice) matched center channel. I look for a system, that is going to

be big enough to fill a room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.