AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem a laughably simple question but here goes:

I have been a D*TV subscriber for 14 years with threee receivers. I get my local TV OTA as well as my HD. I have a clear shot to the broadcast towers, so I feel no need to pay for HD.

I have a couple of TV's that are not digital in my basement, one of which is used frequently in front of the treadmill.

I have ordered local programming @$6/month to continue to use these two non-digital sets for local service. I might keep an eye out for repalcement TV's but while one is only a 15" unit, the other is 50", so the $6/month seems a cheap alternative to spending around a grand or more for two replacements.

Two of the D*TV boxes are original RCA's . The third is a replacement for one of the RCA's that failed about two years ago. I have asked D*TV to get me new boxes for improved software features (Autotune, progrma information, mini-program guide, etc). D*TV told me that as there was nothing really wrong with my ancient boxes, they couldn't just send two replacements. They are literally going to "think about it, and get back to me". Keep in mind that I have paid about $1,000 each in rental fees over the years for the use of these two ancient pieces of junk.

How do you go about buying a box that is yours? More specifically, where do you get the access cards? I see ads on eBay for receivers that say they come with a card, new and unused. Will D*TV let me use one of these? Do I need their permission? Do I have to call them up and marry the new card to my existing service?

Need some guidance. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yes, you should be able to use new/unused cards that come with receivers from sites like ebay. Worst case is, if you don't have a card, D* will send you one, last time I checked I believe the cost was $20. Even if the card was used, as long as it's de-activated, you can re-activate it no problem. Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I confirm what oktoberrust11 said..I too had d tv forever...since NFL ticket came out..price came up too much for that and I just dropped them and went cable last year. I may go back though.

Your concern...D TV will send you (FedEx) a card for $20. I think I got mine in a day or so...it was either overnight or 2/3 day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts