AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a DTC-100 (Proscan version) for OTA in Palo Alto, near San Francisco.

I plan to use it with my existing antenna, which is on a 30 foot mast with rotor and on-mast pre-amp. The setup was great when it was new but is very old and not working that well, I have been using cable for some years but am now moving away from cable. (Can you guess why?)

I will be feeding the signal into VGA monitors and (via S-video) an Infocus LP400.

If this goes well, I will attempt DirectTV installation. Plan to put up my own dish.

Any suggestions about things to watch out for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Your question is kind of open... what are you wanting to know? HDTV setup or Dish setup? On the dish just make sure you have line of sight to where the sats are...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Go for it!

For my money, OTA HDTV via DTC-100 rocks (it's free)! Here's what I've got: a cheap ($35) Radio Shack antenna (VHF-UHF) in the attic, pointed toward Sutro (I'm in Fremont, 1-story). I get digital channels 2-1 (ch 2, FOX); 57-1, 57-2 (ch 4 NBC (for now) + BAYTV); 19-1 (ch 20 WB); 24-1, (ch 7 ABC); 29-1, (ch 5 CBS!!!); 30-1 (HDTV 30-2) (ch 9 KQED PBS); 45-1 (ch 44 UPN). The digital channels blow away the analog channels and cable for SD broadcasts. For HD broadcasts, CBS has the most (75% of primetime + sports, Superbowl, Final Four). ABC is trying with NYPD Blue, Disney, movies. NBC has Leno every week-night. Some Fox programs are in 480p (widescreen), Dark Angel, Malcom...

I've got DirecTv and Dish. The premier HD provider is HBO (on both). You get Sopranos in HDTV, and about 5-10 movies per week in HDTV, Showtime HDTV is only available on Dish (for now), and shows a few quality movies per week in HDTV (and in 5.1 Dolby, OAR (sweet), HBO hasn't perfected Dolby 5.1 yet), but Showtime via Dish satellite is not reachable by most locations out here (the satellite is low on the horizon). Rumors have it that Showtime may be on DirecTv soon.

The self-install for HDTV on DirecTV is a little tricky (you need an oval, 2-LNB, dish), but do-able.

------------------

Carl

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
I am about to buy a DTC-100 (Proscan version) for OTA in Palo Alto, near San Francisco
I live in PA near Cubberly and have a DTC100 hooked up for both OTA and DirecTV reception. My super-duper local antenna is a $40 ChannelMaster Stealth minimal wing looking thing attached to a 3 foot tall mast. The mast is mounted on a CM tripod that isn't even bolted down.

I'm getting all of the Sutro channels well. A 2nd Stealth antenna pointed 180 degrees from the other captures the San Jose digitals.

I suspect that your old, tired antenna may work very well for you. At least give it a try giving special attention to aiming the UHF section towards Sutro.

Curtis

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mike,

Go here:

http://www.mapblast.com

Type in your address and click on get map. When the map of your area comes back, it will include a very accurate long/lat at the top. Post that, it has more significant figures that the ones you posted.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mike,

I have looked along the way from your location to Sutro and there is nothing in your line of sight, save perhaps a neighboring home. You are 33 miles from Sutro with a bearing or 320 degrees(re true N). All the DT stations at Sutro deliver hefty signals to your neighborhood. If y ou were to mount a CM 4228 antenna outside and above the local roof lines, you could capture enough signal to receive all those stations without a preamp. And quite easily. However, when you take that antenna into your attic, you will suffer some losses. Losses depending on your own home construction, plus losses, perhaps, due to getting into and out of your neighbors'home. I don't like attics because I have to get subjective, but I generally allow 10 dB for your house loss and 20 dB to get into and out of your neighbors'. Therefore ake the CM 4228 antenna point 319 deg. attach a CM7775 preamp up close. All for now.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
871 Posts
John,

How about:

Longitude: -121.732617

Latitude: 37.023509

Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
tmitchmd

It appears that you are a fellow mountaineer. You are at 1890 feet in the Santa Cruz mountains. Unfortunately , though, your line of sight goes right over Loma Prieta at about 3000 feet. I would say your prospects are slim unless you can catch a reflection of the eastern mountains. If you want to try that, I have been brainstorming a way to kluge a really high gain antenna. Your case would appear to be perfect for trying something out of the ordinary. Meanwhile, good luck.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wow John, I am sure you are pleased to see that your model works wonders! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I am curious, how long did you take to develop it? And how did you do it?

Also, Can you check mine? I live in Daly City, CA.

Lat: 37.664741

Lon: -122.463877

Cheers,

Kishore

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 03-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
870 Posts
Robert_W,

The Web is rich, but not this rich. There are many aspects to what I am doing. I'm not able to go into details here. Suffice it to say, it's a lot of blodd sweat and tears.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mike,

The 4228 is not large, has a gain of 12 dB re dipole, very directional. Take that and mount it in your attic. Add a high gain, low noise preamp to it and we will see. Don't give up just yet, I think there is a chance here.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
870 Posts
Kishore,

You have a clear line of sight to the transmitters. There are lots of potential obstacles but your line of sight clears them. The transmitters are 6.3 miles, bearing 6.1 degrees. Reception should be easy with the simplest of UHF antennas, perhaps a double bow tie or some such. Have you tried and failed or just checking to be sure?

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
636 Posts
John,

Thank you for your response http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif BTW I live in an apt complex full of trees and other apts in between. I will be checking this out with my new TV and RCA DTC 100 this weekend. I shall let you know.

Cheers,

Kishore

[This message has been edited by Kishore (edited 03-13-2001).]

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
John -

Since everyone else is imposing on you, why should I be different.<G>

Have decided to wait til summer to get a 50" Panasonic Plasma - but, after reading posts here, I have learned that watching OTA via digital signals will improve what we now get via cable. So, my first purchase will be a OTA digital rcvr. (RCA dtc100?) and an appropriate antenna. We have DTV but only points at the main bird at 101. Thinking of getting BEV for HDTV sat. viewing in addition to their other offerings.

Now to the chase. Am on the Bkly/Okld. line at Lat. 37.852037

Long. 122.244549. We are much taller than the houses to the west of us - between us and Sutro. However, there is a tall hill blocking a direct view of SF and the tower. The east bay hills (Caldecott tunnel) are directly to our east and, i assume will cause much in the way of multi-path. We don't quite have a direct view to San Jose, i don't think. FYI, our roof line as just over 30 feet above the street.

Any recommendations?

BTW, do you install systems for a living or is this a hobby?

Thanks for all you do here.

Mike Thaler

·
Registered
870 Posts
snidely,

Your property is at 298 feet ASL and that hill west of you is 42 feet above you and very close. It appears, though, that if you can mount your antenna, 12 feet above your 30 feet high roof line, you can get line of sight to Sutro. You are correct in your guess that that there will be lots of reflections off the hills east of you. You need to use an antenna with good front to back ratio on this account. You are 13.1 miles from sutro, bearing 239.5 degrees. Remember the FCC rules allow for 12 feet above roof line, use it all and I think you' ll be fine. Assuming you are high enough, antenna gain is not an issue but F/B ratio needs to be good. A CM 3921 might be fine in this regard.

Regarding San Jose KNTV reception, it appears to me that you do, in fact, have a clear line to Loma Prieta. It's 56 miles, bearing 156.6 degrees.

Regards,

John Stephens

·
Registered
870 Posts
Tom Fries

You are only slightly above the noise threshold, not surprisingly in the attic. You need to use a higher gain antenna. I recommend a CM 4228, gain 12 dB re dipole. This will provide you 5, 6 dB additional margin. Do that and I think you' ll get ch 57.

Regards,

John Stephens

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.