AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm buying a new Home Theater System. Not exactly sure which one I want. I already have a CD player, Denon DCM370.

I'm looking for a good sounding system for about or under 500.

So far I'm thinking of getting the Kenwood HTB504 system.

Looking for suggestions.

thanks,

Bob Monteevrde

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Bob,

Sorry, not to be snobby but $500 doesn't cover the 'cost of admission' to the world of home theater systems.

Remember, a system will minimally include 5 speakers and a receiver of some sort. Add a '0' to the budget and we can make some good recomendations. Add two '0's and you'll get more info than you can imagine

However, check Best-Buy or Circuit City. They offer 'Theater in a Box' systems that would satisfy the need and whet the thirst for more................

Let me digress, I got the bug in 1991 working as a sales person at Sears (t.V. dept.). I had just finished dental school and had to make some dough 'til I could get a job. Top gun played all day on the laserdisc player in Dolby Surround and the Bose surround system. The effect was amazing to me.

I quit before I could afford to buy anything but found a demo receiver at Montgomery Wards for $250 and bought it. I added my old college Polk speakers to the front with a Bose center channel and two outdoor Bose speakers for the rears! The whole upgrade to surround sound cost me about $500.

It was nirvana! Iwas hooked!

That was ten years ago. Five systems (and an advanced degree later), I have 10's of thousands into my current system and getting ready to build a dream dedicated theater as an addition to my house. My wife is a big fan to boot!

Bottom line, even a very inexpensive system can bring excitement and wanting for more.

Jeff

·
Registered
305 Posts
Based upon the budget level you referenced, your decision to pursue a Theatre in A Box is a good entry level approach. I have seen great values at COSTCO,and SAMS CLUB well within the budget levels you referenced. Recognize that you are not getting state of the art, and also not spending six digit sums. The price of entry level receivers with Dolby Digital and DTS now sell for less than the sales tax on units with these features a couple of years ago. You will probably be receiving speakers that are entry level in a "box" system, but if it produces enjoyment, and pleases you, the "bug" may not be far behind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Save your money ! No need to spend thousands. If you like Denon, see the new Denon DHT-682XP. I just bought one at Sears for $549 reguarly $699.

I've got S-Video switching, Dolby and DTS, nice set of shielded speakers and a powered sub. I'm plenty happy !

grandpa_tivo

Quote:
Originally posted by bobmont
Well, i'm buying a new Home Theater System. Not exactly sure which one I want. I already have a CD player, Denon DCM370.

I'm looking for a good sounding system for about or under 500.

So far I'm thinking of getting the Kenwood HTB504 system.

Looking for suggestions.

thanks,

Bob Monteevrde

·
Registered
14 Posts
The htb-504 is a great entry-level system if your situation falls into one of these categories:

a)Won't be able to save another $500 to get to a decent $1000 system and just can't wait any longer.

b)Although you can't save any more in the near future, you do expect to be able to upgrade in a few years.

My circumstances covered both cases and I purchased the htb-503 a year ago with 1 year same as cash plan from Circuit City. I have had a DD/DTS system for a year now and will be able to upgrade slowly (starting with speakers!) as $$$ allows. To all those who say wait, I say look at your circumstances first. If waiting for 6 months will provide you the extra cash for a decent entry level system, then that's not untolerable. If it means 18 months to 2 years, I say "why wait?" Get your DD/DTS now, and upgrade over time.

And, yes, a HTIB does qualify as a Home Theater System. Will it sound like a $4000 audio system? No, but you'll be able afford housing and food.

My $.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I can spend like 700... and just a reciever and 2 pretty good speakers would do it. Umm, I was thinking of trying the Magnepan MMG .... but they might me just a bit out of my price range

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, heres my system I'm _getting_:

Denon DCM370

Denon AVR1601

JBL S312

That will be it for now, till I get more money to spend. I figure 2 speakers should do me good for now, especially the S312's

Bob Monteverde

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.