AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are saving up to get our first HDTV to replace my 1999 Sharp CRT which has seen better days. We're trying to decide between 46" and 52" for starters; we like the idea of the bigger size, but the cost difference is crazy.

Also, we're trying to figure out a good brand. I have this love for Sony TVs (a personal thing), but they tend to run a bit on the spendy side. I've heard good things about Samsung and Toshiba, but wasn't sure what everyone else was using or if there were opinions either way.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Samsung and Sony LED backlit LCDs are excellent tvs: Samsung LN46A950 or Sony KDL-46XBR8. Both highly rated but Samsung is around 2799.99 and Sony is around 4699.99 i think lol. honestly i myself would only consider a LED backlit LCD nowadays. there is also an older LED Samsung LN-T4681F for i think 1599.99 or so on a website i can pm u which website if u like not sure if i am supossed to talk about it on the forum. FYI they have bigger sizes as well for each of these tvs i am just not sure exactly what they are cause i would only consider a 40 or 46 for my bedroom

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Sony is no longer the Sony of old. They have slipped behind Samsung, and Samsung is now the #1 LCD maker and people at the CES show have commented on the lack of innovation Sony is displaying in their 2009 lcd tvs, it's like they are losing interest in these tvs to some extent.

Depending on your price point, Samsung tvs start at the A550 model for 1080p and many prefer the A650 models due to 120hz ability. Either of those models would probably be your best bet for high quality and good price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend Samsung as well. I have owned a LN-T4042H for over a year now and love it - no problems either. It did have an issue with needing new firmware. Samsung's customer support was fantastic, no wait time, knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a Samsung ln52a850.

IMHO even for the price I paid which was 2250 + a free blue ray 2 player was excellent. So far I have been EXTREMELY impressed by the picture quality and would recommend.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would get the desired tv. If you really like a 52 inch but a 46 is more affordable, then I would hold off and save up a little bit more. Nothing worse than getting a tv and thinking I should of gotten the 52 inch. Another brand to check out if you are on a budget is Vizio you can get it bigger and cheaper than Toshiba or Samsung. I am a Sony man myself so I cannot comment on the others I can only say even though my KDL-52XBR6 costs an arm and a leg it was worth it, I know when I buy Sony the sucker is going to last.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/15523954

Sony is no longer the Sony of old. They have slipped behind Samsung, and Samsung is now the #1 LCD maker and people at the CES show have commented on the lack of innovation Sony is displaying in their 2009 lcd tvs, it's like they are losing interest in these tvs to some extent.

Depending on your price point, Samsung tvs start at the A550 model for 1080p and many prefer the A650 models due to 120hz ability. Either of those models would probably be your best bet for high quality and good price.

Are you kidding me? Samsung is a total disappointment this year in CES...

·
Registered
429 Posts
You're shopping in a period where the technology is transitioning from flourescent backlighting, to LED, and finally (soon I hope) OLED.

I want a new 40" LCD but am waiting for someone to release an LED backlit model with local dimming, and lacking that, I'll wait another year or so for a 37" / 40" OLED (the ultimate technology).

Good luck !

TA

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb667 /forum/post/15522895

So my wife and I are saving up to get our first HDTV to replace my 1999 Sharp CRT which has seen better days. We're trying to decide between 46" and 52" for starters; we like the idea of the bigger size, but the cost difference is crazy.

Also, we're trying to figure out a good brand. I have this love for Sony TVs (a personal thing), but they tend to run a bit on the spendy side. I've heard good things about Samsung and Toshiba, but wasn't sure what everyone else was using or if there were opinions either way.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated!

TV size is going to be dependent on your room size and personal preferences. If it's a small room, 52" could be overkill (though there are some that'd be ok with having a 100" screen and sitting only 3 feet way. There's a word for ppl like that- crazy
). For me personally, 46" is about perfect for a 10-12' viewing distance. For anything over 12', I'd probably want the 52".

If it ends up being a toss-up to you, I'd tend to go with the bigger size. The "I bought a little too big" feeling is definitely better than the "I bought too small" feeling.

You also ask about brands. A few will violenty disagree, but this seems to be the way it is right now, in terms of picture quality:

Tier 1 - Sony, Samsung

Tier 2 - LG*, Toshiba, Sharp

Tier 3 - Insignia

* the better LG's are almost Tier 1

Of course, the TV makers know this, and price accordingly.
You get almost nothing for free. Though I'd say that some Samsungs are coming across as a bit of a bargain (like the 6 Series), because they're as good as the Sonys, but cheaper.

That's LCDs. If you like plasmas, Pioneer plasmas are definitely Tier 1, and Panasonic plasmas are Tier 2, almost Tier 1 in some models.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Tier 2 set. You might not be as picky as others in terms of getting the last little bit of image quality, and you will potentially save a lot of money on such a set. Tier 2 sets tend to be the 'good values'.

I wouldn't buy Tier 3. I haven't seen the Westinghouse TVs enough lately to judge, but I strongly suspect they're right down there with Insignia. Basically, the cheap stuff, and you can really tell.

You might dig the price, but once you get the set home, you'll probably have regrets. Unless what you had before was pretty lame, so that the Tier 3 set looks good by comparison.

There's a lot of choices, and lot of opinions, so be sure to a lot of set viewing prior to purchase, and make your mind up for yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbas01 /forum/post/15525586

Lot of sammy lovers here, apparently their marketing is working..... Well they are cheaper than sony.

It's not the marketing, for me, anyway. I ignored all that stuff, and went and evaluated sets for myself, intentionally NOT looking at the name brand or price tag when I did so, so I could evaluate on pic quality alone.

I think that's the only reasonable way to do it.

And that's how I came to my Tiers list. Frankly, the brand name on the set could be "Zeke's Magic Box", and I wouldn't care... if the pic quality is there, so am I.

I'd also say that, speaking for the broader market, I don't think Samsung as a marketing brand is any huge draw... when you think "Samsung", you don't automatically think they're any better than the Toshibas, Panasonics, Sharps, etc. of the world, based on name alone. So you have to be won over by the set itself.

Sony is probably the only company that has any real name-brand edge over the others (and boy do they make you pay for it). Oh, and maybe if Apple started making TVs, ppl would go, "Ooh, gotta see that set."

Those are the only two I can think of that can/could really leverage brand. Pioneer has an incredible rep too, but more in videophile circles, not the mainstream.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input so far! I'm actually going to take a look at the Toshiba A550 today, just for comparison's sake.

Unfortunately, our budget is $1000-ish...low for this sort of technology, I know. That's why we were looking closer at the 46" rigs.

I'm not a "video-phile" by any means; I can tell the difference between BD and DVD, and I appreciate good audio, too.

Here's my "must haves" (which I should have posted before):

1080p

2+ HDMI ports

I'm not being very discriminating, but then I want something that's going to last, too.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15525872

It's not the marketing, for me, anyway. I ignored all that stuff, and went and evaluated sets for myself, intentionally NOT looking at the name brand or price tag when I did so, so I could evaluate on pic quality alone.

I think that's the only reasonable way to do it.

And that's how I came to my Tiers list. Frankly, the brand name on the set could be "Zeke's Magic Box", and I wouldn't care... if the pic quality is there, so am I.

I'd also say that, speaking for the broader market, I don't think Samsung as a marketing brand is any huge draw... when you think "Samsung", you don't automatically think they're any better than the Toshibas, Panasonics, Sharps, etc. of the world, based on name alone. So you have to be won over by the set itself.

Sony is probably the only company that has any real name-brand edge over the others (and boy do they make you pay for it). Oh, and maybe if Apple started making TVs, ppl would go, "Ooh, gotta see that set."

Those are the only two I can think of that can/could really leverage brand. Pioneer has an incredible rep too, but more in videophile circles, not the mainstream.

Actually Samsung has had the most aggresive marketing campaign out of everybody these past couple of years, from signing up to sponser the NFL, to setting up shop over at Cnet where they have a Samsung Store at Cnet and it's own forum on Cnet, and they also have built up a relationship with Sear's as well. Add to the fact they have agressivly pumped out the most models of TV's while continue to produce the older models in order to dominate shelf space in stores. Seriously next time you go the Circuit City, Best Buy etc, just look at how many Samsungs are on the wall, its insane. A very strong marketing trick, litterally squeezing out the competion off shelf space.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15526098

Actually Samsung has had the most aggresive marketing campaign out of everybody these past couple of years, from signing up to sponser the NFL, to setting up shop over at Cnet where they have a Samsung Store at Cnet and it's own forum on Cnet, and they also have built up a relationship with Sear's as well. Add to the fact they have agressivly pumped out the most models of TV's while continue to produce the older models in order to dominate shelf space in stores. Seriously next time you go the Circuit City, Best Buy etc, just look at how many Samsungs are on the wall, its insane. A very strong marketing trick, litterally squeezing out the competion off shelf space.

He said it better than I did.....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15526098

Not saying that they aren't pushing hard- they are- just saying that it hasn't mattered one bit to me in terms of what I think of their sets.

And, there's a difference between mindshare- which is putting your name in front of everyone's face 24-7 - and having a reputation for quality/being the best. Samsung has mindshare. Sony, for whatever reason, has the 'quality' rep.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15526251

Not saying that they aren't pushing hard- they are- just saying that it hasn't mattered one bit to me in terms of what I think of their sets.

And, there's a difference between mindshare- which is putting your name in front of everyone's face 24-7 - and having a reputation for quality/being the best. Samsung has mindshare. Sony, for whatever reason, has the 'quality' rep.

ummm, samsung and quality? come on... To me samsung is like bose, enough said....sony has a quality rep because they do have quality products....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb667 /forum/post/15526059

Unfortunately, our budget is $1000-ish...low for this sort of technology, I know. That's why we were looking closer at the 46" rigs.

I'm not a "video-phile" by any means; I can tell the difference between BD and DVD, and I appreciate good audio, too.

Here's my "must haves" (which I should have posted before):

1080p

2+ HDMI ports

$1000-ish... 1080p... hmm, lots of choices.

Going by Amazon pricing (or a really good sale at a brick & mortar store), lots of good stuff available within your constraints...

- 42" Panasonic plasmas (you could get 50", but you'd have to go 720p)

- 42" and 46" Toshibas LCDs

- 42" and 46" Sharp LCDs (possible banding issues tho', so read up on that)

- 42" LG LCDs

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbas01 /forum/post/15526306

ummm, samsung and quality? come on... To me samsung is like bose, enough said....sony has a quality rep because they do have quality products....

I wouldn't equate Samsung with Bose. Honestly... do you really think Samsung's reputation for quality exceeds most of the other mainstream brands by a lot? For Joe Sixpack? Samsung's just in front of your face all the time, that's all.

And I'm not mocking Sony, I used to work for them in fact. It's just that, considering all the missteps they've made in recent years (not so much in TVs, but elsewhere), it's surprising that their rep has held up as well as it has.

But I've said my peace, and won't belabor the point.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
"sony has a quality rep because they do have quality products...."

Sony is living on it's past reputation and no longer is the same. I was once a Sony fan myself, but they aren't the same company they once were.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and both Samsung and Sony are still the leaders, but in my experience, my Samsung tvs have been excellent and less expensive than Sony. And in my opinion, Samsung has overtaken Sony in LCD tvs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts