AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for a home theater system and considering the Klipsch Palladium® P-39F Home Theater System.

The store Sound Advice sells it for $31,500.

Two separate third-party sellers on Amazon.com with excellent customer reviews are selling them for $21,996.

Here's the listing after you remove the spaces: www . amazon . com / gp / product / B00MMHOLMM /

The third-party Amazon.com sellers identify themselves as being authorized sellers, the systems as brand new, and that the Klipsch warranty is intact.

Is buying from a third-party Amazon.com seller online a bad idea?

I realize that since I'm a brand new member, this post might be mistaken as being from one of the sellers. Please know that I'm legitimately a prospective customer trying to figure out if saving 33% off the full retail price by buying online is a good or bad idea.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
It is fine. You will receive the same product regardless of who ships it to you. Unlike Ebay, Amazon sellers are mostly pros. In other words they are companies that sell products to companies for a living. I'm one of them in another industry. Amazon puts up with no nonsense from them and has all the consumer protection policies you could want.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I've had great experiences with third parties through Amazon, including warranty issues. I'm pretty sure that if a third party doesn't honor a warranty or something, that Amazon wouldn't hesitate to bring the hammer down on them.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
I've had great experiences with third parties through Amazon, including warranty issues. I'm pretty sure that if a third party doesn't honor a warranty or something, that Amazon wouldn't hesitate to bring the hammer down on them.
Not necessarily. There are 3rd party sellers of Sony projectors on Amazon that are specifically listed as not authorized Sony dealers - if you are missing a spare lamp coupon or 3D glasses, Sony will not send those to you if you bought from a dealer that is not authorized. Nothing Amazon can do about that. Warranty could also be an issue.

Always check with us at AV Science for pricing - we are authorized dealers for many brands ( although Klipsch is no longer one of those brands ).

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Not necessarily. There are 3rd party sellers of Sony projectors on Amazon that are specifically listed as not authorized Sony dealers - if you are missing a spare lamp coupon or 3D glasses, Sony will not send those to you if you bought from a dealer that is not authorized. Nothing Amazon can do about that. Warranty could also be an issue.
Good to know. So I guess 3rd party isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but unauthorized would be. Definitely something to watch out for. So if they're an authorized dealer per the manufacturer, then we should be good to go, right?

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
Good to know. So I guess 3rd party isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but unauthorized would be. Definitely something to watch out for. So if they're an authorized dealer per the manufacturer, then we should be good to go, right?
Don't know about the Klipsch 3rd party sellers on Amazon, but most of the 3rd party Sony sellers were not authorized dealers.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
It can get pretty complicated. Last time I bought a name brand audio product on Amazon (Samsung Blu Ray player) the order was placed with a company I had never heard of but the fulfillment was from Walmart. I don't explain it. I just report it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can get pretty complicated. Last time I bought a name brand audio product on Amazon (Samsung Blu Ray player) the order was placed with a company I had never heard of but the fulfillment was from Walmart. I don't explain it. I just report it.
Sounds like drop shipping: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts

Always check with us at AV Science for pricing - we are authorized dealers for many brands ( although Klipsch is no longer one of those brands ).
Don't know about the Klipsch 3rd party sellers on Amazon, but most of the 3rd party Sony sellers were not authorized dealers.

Good info to share:)

I got my Marantz AV8801 through you guy's and would have bought my JVC front projector too if you have been alloyed but JVC policy said no to that.

For small stuff, I think 3rd party could be fine and did it often.
For expensive stuff, I rather deal with ID that have earn a good reputation for good and reputable customer service.

AVS is one of them!!!
Just a little story about them.

When I was looking to replace my front projector and end-up talking to Mike G.
In the early stage of the conversation he found out that I was leaving in Canada and could not sell me a JVC unit due to JVC policies.
So I said sorry to waist your time and his replied was, ask away and we spend another 20 minutes on the phone.
My point is, He could have tried to sell me something he could sell, instead he ask for what would be better for my need:D
So I bought from a Canadian distributer, and when it came to the Audio/video processor. I went with them.

Sorry if I derailed a little.

Ray

·
Registered
84 Posts
How about open box/used projectors. I've seen insane low prices from 3rd parties. Some are "just launched" sellers with zero feedback. The Amazon rep said it is a risk but that it's covered under A to Z guarantee. Refund after a 2 week claim process. Also said Amazon provides warranty coverage, 3 years for just $18.

Sounds to good to be true.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
How about open box/used projectors. I've seen insane low prices from 3rd parties. Some are "just launched" sellers with zero feedback. The Amazon rep said it is a risk but that it's covered under A to Z guarantee. Refund after a 2 week claim process. Also said Amazon provides warranty coverage, 3 years for just $18.

Sounds to good to be true.
The old saying goes, when it sounds too good to be true...

I would check on that warranty. I suspect it is either not $18 or it is not what you are thinking it is. As in maybe it starts out at $18 for a used $100 projector. Even then it sounds too good to be true. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts

I would check on that warranty. I suspect it is either not $18 or it is not what you are thinking it is. As in maybe it starts out at $18 for a used $100 projector. Even then it sounds too good to be true. :)
I cannot speak for the legitimacy of the warranty (Fair Trade) but both Amazon third party sellers have either disappeared or sold their items. I'm guessing the former, considering they had three units left just a few hours ago. An Rs-500 for $3300 "open box". Right!

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Never had a problem with Amazon.

That said, I also bought from AVS and when, I had a problem, they were very quick to help, even if it was many years later.
I dough, you would get the same service has Amazon.

Amazon is great for now and near problem, DI are better for long time relationship.

Ray

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
I cannot speak for the legitimacy of the warranty (Fair Trade) but both Amazon third party sellers have either disappeared or sold their items. I'm guessing the former, considering they had three units left just a few hours ago. An Rs-500 for $3300 "open box". Right!
That price does not make any sense at all. That price is way below cost for a new RS500. You knock a $100 or so off for an open box, you do not sell it at a huge loss, when it is a new product that is selling well. Like I said, if it sounds too good to be true, then you better becareful.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts

Completely agree about the "if it sounds too good to be true" comment. I have been around cars and AV gear a long time and many times I watch people get bit by the "too good to be true" deals. There is almost always a catch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts