AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't buy the SONY HD100. Clean picture but thats all.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
779 Posts
As a owner of a hd100 and lots of other sony AV equipment, I would recommend that you do not purchase one right now as it has a serious bug with dropouts on HDTV and some say non hdtv sources off of directv. Sony has been of little help in assisting us with resolving this problem. I am considering returning the unit next week. Perhaps someone else can make a recommendation on a good alternative to the Sony.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
425 Posts
For what it is worth, I have had the HD-100 "up and running" for several weeks now and have not experienced any major problems with the unit. It's mated with a SONY XBR400 which makes the unit (and it's remote) multi-functional and rather easy to use. I have not had the oft-described drop outs others have described here, at least not while watching Directv HBOHD programming or standard definition programming. It does, however, do a lousy job of trying to pass cable channel signals to the XBR through component inputs. But I just switch sources to take care of that probem. I paid for a professional installation of the dish and receiver. Maybe things will change when I go OTA in a few months. I hope not....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,

New to this forum. Just called local Wiz and they have few Sony HD100 in stock. I have Sony XBR300 53" TV. Any suggestions If I buy HD100 and what Kinda things I have to keep in mind. Thank You All!!!!!!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just got the HD100, and I'd say it's doing a fine job...

I have not seen any off the droputs mentioned in other threads...and I've

made sure to check on the hour, and the half hour, as they have been

reported to happen then...

My only HD signal is from DirecTv.. The demo loop, and HBO HD...

So I can't say if it will work as well with over the air HD

I can only hope it does......

I'm in south Florida... I think only 1 station has any HD so far... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

But I'll be ready when they do...

My .02

Shelly

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have the HD100 and a Sony 61HS10 and like the features of the HD100 very much. I works well with the Sony 4:3 RPTV's. It has a variable mode on the component outs that will output a 480i 4:3 signal if the source is non-HD. If the source is HD, then is switches to a 1080i 16:9 signal, which your XBR should recognize and automatically switch to it's squeezed 16:9 mode. I don't think any other STB has this feature. It allows me to watch all channels without doing anything but hitting the channel button on the HD100 remote. (even my wife can do it)

Now, having said that, it is true that the HD100 has some bugs. The drop out problem on DTV is very common as is a lip sync problem on OTA HD. My suggestion is to wait for a little while. I am pretty sure Sony will fix these things, and if they do, then this set is one of the best, feature wise, out there.

None of the new STB's seem to be bug free right now. Look at the threads on this forum and you will see what I mean. All of the manufacturers need to do some work on their sets. That is the reason I would just wait a while. If you wait and still decide on another brand, you haven't really lost anything, and the chances of whatever set you get being better then right now is pretty good.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
731 Posts
Except for the fan noise, I'm very happy with my HD100. I don't seem to have the drop-out problems on my box. I'm also in South Florida and don't have OTA stations yet, so can't comment on lip sync or drop-outs with OTA stations.

Roger

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I too have not had the dropout problems with the Sony box. However, I have seen occasional lip synch issues on OTA HD. I'm still not sure how much of this has to do with the box (I've seen it on the RCA too) as opposed to the station itself. On the other hand, I've only seen it VERY rarely on my built-in OTA HD tuner on my Zenith HDTV, which I still consider to be the best tuner I've tried.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Zenith STB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.