AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for anyone who can give me some general advice here. I'm looking at purchasing a home that is approx 9000sq feet. The home is pre-wired for Crestron and has a complete Lutron lighting system already installed. This is my problem, the installation of the crestron system is not done and the builder / seller is not really giving me any information on what was planned or budgeted in his selling price. I know asking how much would it cost is almost funny as its like asking how long is a string. Anyway, since the home is already wired I thought I would throw out some type of wish list and see if anyone could give me some ball park only numbers that I could kick around in my head. I know this isn't exact but I'm hoping what I describe may help.

1) The home is pre wired but all the runs go to one room without any racking.

2) I would like to have a total of 5 or 6 medium size crestron touch screens mounted in different locations throught the house. (wireing is already there just needs to be pulled through)

3) I am estimating that we will have 5 televisions in the home and I would like to have some video distribution gear. (I'm guessing 3 HD-Tivo units etc)

4) A total of 22 speakers (11 pair) to be installed in different rooms for whole house audio. (I assume a speaker of mid price quality, nothing too cheap and nothing over the top needed)

5) The home is pre-wired for security cam's but I will hold off on this but would like the option to add within the next year.

6) The home has a dedicated theater that is prewired for 7.1 surround sound but at this time I would finish this off later as I have more time to really do it correctly.

Misc: I would like the touch screens to be able to control the heat/ac, access the security cam's in the future, whole house audio and it would be great if the lighting system can be worked into this as well.

Thanks again for anyone who might be able to give me some budget numbers to think about. Thanks. . .

·
Registered
236 Posts
First things first.

Do you have a detailed schematic of every cable that is installed? Also, has every cable that has been installed been checked for integrity?

When you say the touch screen locations are already wired what does that mean? How many cables, what type etc...same applies for TV points etc.

The level of functionality that can be achieved will be depend entirely on the structured cable install.

You say you would like to control heating/ac via a Crestron system, again this is possible but heavily dependent on the cable install (type, number and source/destination)

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
It sounds like this project was started for someone else. Your best bet is to find the installer. A good place to start is the builder. He doesn't sound helpfull. Next step, go to the towns building department and check names on all permits accociated whth this house. There should be a Electrical permit for the low voltage wiring. Electrical inspectors tend to be a bit grouchy so be nice.
The installer should have the name of the system designer and or plan. Once you've navigated your way to the system designer, you can better deal with what is there.

Of course there's always the chance that after back-tracking all the way to the integrator hired to do this job that he's still owed money for the incompleted installation and why the builder is less than helpfull

This sounds like a no cooling call I went out on the other night. New house, new home owner calls with a no cooling complaint. We show up to find a complete system minus the condenser units outside and air handlers inside. All the ductwork, vents and thermostats were installed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphon Filter /forum/post/17006144

First things first.

Do you have a detailed schematic of every cable that is installed? Also, has every cable that has been installed been checked for integrity?

When you say the touch screen locations are already wired what does that mean? How many cables, what type etc...same applies for TV points etc.

The level of functionality that can be achieved will be depend entirely on the structured cable install.

You say you would like to control heating/ac via a Crestron system, again this is possible but heavily dependent on the cable install (type, number and source/destination)

The builder has the drawing and will provide that to me later. So he says.. For the sake of my question I will assume that all the cables are checked. I could "what if" this thing to death so I'm assuming the job was wired correctly.

Regarding me saying "already wired" I was meaning the wires are there in the wall ready to be connected to a touch screen.

Each touch panel location has 3xCat5e, 1 x Cresnet, 1 x 16/4

Each location to receive video distribution has 1-2x cat5e, 1 x cresnet and 2 x RG6

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/17006370

It sounds like this project was started for someone else. Your best bet is to find the installer. A good place to start is the builder. He doesn't sound helpfull. Next step, go to the towns building department and check names on all permits accociated whth this house. There should be a Electrical permit for the low voltage wiring. Electrical inspectors tend to be a bit grouchy so be nice.
The installer should have the name of the system designer and or plan. Once you've navigated your way to the system designer, you can better deal with what is there.

Of course there's always the chance that after back-tracking all the way to the integrator hired to do this job that he's still owed money for the incompleted installation and why the builder is less than helpfull

This sounds like a no cooling call I went out on the other night. New house, new home owner calls with a no cooling complaint. We show up to find a complete system minus the condenser units outside and air handlers inside. All the ductwork, vents and thermostats were installed

Thanks Stefuel for the tips... I didn't think about seeing who pulled the permits but thats great idea.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Touch panel pricing is highly dependent on size. What did you have in mind? The smallest is 4 inch and it goes up from there.

What are you doing about lighting by the way? Is that pre-wired for automation too?

The wiring spec seems right to me so you are OK there if the cables are still good.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc12man /forum/post/17005403

This is my problem, the installation of the crestron system is not done and the builder / seller is not really giving me any information on what was planned or budgeted in his selling price.

It is surprising that a builder isn't being helpful about certain things in this housing slump. Tell him that this area is important to you and have him refer you to the company that ran the wiring. He probably isn't being helpful because he doesn't know the answers. You shouldn't have a problem finding his contractor. Odds are they would want to speak to you as they'll want to sell you a system if you buy the home.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc12man /forum/post/17005403

Thank you in advance for anyone who can give me some general advice here. I'm looking at purchasing a home that is approx 9000sq feet. The home is pre-wired for Crestron and has a complete Lutron lighting system already installed. This is my problem, the installation of the crestron system is not done and the builder / seller is not really giving me any information on what was planned or budgeted in his selling price.

What exactly are you getting/buying? A wired house or a wired house and a crestron system? Are you trying to see what the system should cost to see if your being robbed?

Your statement about the builder not being helpful makes no sense. The only reason i can think of that he would withhold information from you is..

A. He doesn't know how the house is wired or what the plan was.This could be because he owes the AV company who pulled the cable money and he doesnt have plans. Or it could be that the AV company went out of business because they started lowering their rates due to the housing slump. Be sure the get the wiring plan into the contract or you will be paying someone hourly to track down each cable.

B. He stands to gain or lose money based on which AV company you choose. Hes not willing to provide a system plan for you to use with another company. Be sure to get the wiring plan into the contract or you will be paying someone hourly to track down each cable.

Never assume anything about the wiring. I can take you to 3 Crestron systems all invoiced at the same amount. You will love one of them, hate the other and be completely confused with the last one because it wont be finished. Until you see the plans they dont exist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.