AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be looking for DVD-A but I am not ruling out DTS music cds either. What do you think is the best DVD-A you have?

·
Registered
65 Posts
For the wow factor - Blue Man Group

What everyone agrees are well produced discs: Eagles Hell Freezes Over and Hotel California

I'm sure there are others.

There are very few interesting recent releases on DVD-A. Mostly back catalog stuff.

Everyone is waiting for Dark Side of the Moon in March.

EMI is making noises about releasing the Beatles back catalog in DVD-A.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Hotel California has a stereo 192/24 mix. If your gear can get all of that, you will have to change your undies :D The surround mix was interesting, but I preferred the stereo mix.

I also like ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, but I dig their stuff anyway. The surround on this one is excellent. It was originally recorded for quadraphonic, so the format transfer is very good.

I was unimpressed by Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare. It's a very noisy (hissy) recording as I recall. The surround edition sounded like little more than the "hall" processor on my Rotel preamp.

I've heard that the Doobie Brother's The Captain and Me is also 192/24 and sounds great.

I'd like to hear the Blue Man Group's disk too.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E
I've heard that the Doobie Brother's The Captain and Me is also 192/24 and sounds great.
I have this disc and it is outstanding.

Jay

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors". Great original recording, great job cleaning it up, great 5.1 mix and some great additional features:

Dolby Digital compatibility track so you can compare and play it on friend's DVD-Video players.

Optional "audio commentary" about the songs by the band members.

It might not be everyone's favorite album, but it sure is one that everyone knows.

Quote:
There are very few interesting recent releases on DVD-A. Mostly back catalog stuff.
One that I'd like to make a case for is Bjork's "Vespertine". A lot of people have strong opinions about Bjork, but I don't think they realize how varied her music is. This features choirs and has a very "floating away" vibe to it. It was conceived in 5.1, and even was toured in surround. It's an sonic trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really like to hear that one! It's got incredible bass extension on the standard red book cd.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BB King and Eric Clapton: "Ridin witht the King"

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Brain Salad Surgery is the most aggressive mix out of the ones I've heard so far, just in terms of fearlessly manic panning effects and such (which is pretty true to how ELP liked to mix things anyway). I think the best sounding rock surround mix I've heard yet is the album "Toy Matinee" by Kevin Gilbert's duo of the same name- that's a DTS disk.

Fred

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought three new DVD-A's this weekend

1. Queen

2. Lynard Skynard

3. Fleetwood Mac Rumors

There is a problem though with the Rumors disk. I don't have the RP-82 yet until Christmas so I was listening to the 5.1 Video mix. However on the Rumors disk it would not play. It said loading and it recognized it was a DVD but it would never play.

Any thoughts?

The Queen was good on Seaside Rendezvous has good effects that go well with the song.

Lynard Skynard is live and it sounds as if you are at the concert and hear and feel the bass that moves your chest. It is life like and I am sure it will sound even better with the DVD_A decoding.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I just picked up Trey Anastasio (Phish) DVD Audio disc at BB. I don't have a DVD Audio player yet, but the DD 5.1 mix sounds very good...Eric

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael4JBL
I bought three new DVD-A's this weekend

1. Queen

2. Lynard Skynard

3. Fleetwood Mac Rumors
Cool, I have two of those three. I was a bit disappointed that the Queen disk is not more aggressively mixed. I really wanted "Bohemian Rhapsody" to be utterly nuts.

Quote:
There is a problem though with the Rumors disk. I don't have the RP-82 yet until Christmas so I was listening to the 5.1 Video mix. However on the Rumors disk it would not play. It said loading and it recognized it was a DVD but it would never play.
Really? That's odd, because it has played on every DVD-Video player I've tried it on, which includes:

PowerDVD on Windows XP via an LG drive

Sony DVP-NS500V DVD-Video

Apex Piece-0-Crap

My brother's ancient Toshiba

Sony 400 disc changer

Kenwood DV-5050M

...and some others at various friends homes. I suspect it may be your particular disc.

We just picked up another disc, Yes "Fragile". It was mostly a present for Vickie, as I was only familiar with "Roundabout"...and that was from the 45 on the old jukebox - so it turns out I have an distorted sonic memory of the bass on this song. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is just the disk. What do I do? Take it back to the store, or do I have to contact Warner for a replacement?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
R.E.M.'s "Automatic For the People" was my first DVD-A purchase last week and I was floored. "Everybody Hurts" especially blew me away when at some points it seems like Michael Stipe's disembodied head is floating throughout my room singing to me. It's a great disk. I also have "When Hell Freezes Over," Don Henley's "The End of the Innocence" (DTS) and some sampler the name of which already escapes me because although it is a neat demo disc, I just couldn't stomach the content and haven't listened to it more than once. I love DVD-A.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
It seems like Michael Stipe's disembodied head is floating throughout my room singing to me.
Wow.

I want to smoke what you smoke, dude...:)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wojtek
Wow.

I want to smoke what you smoke, dude...:)
Ok, well I don't actually see the head, but I can tell it's there...:D

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
Cool, I have two of those three. I was a bit disappointed that the Queen disk is not more aggressively mixed. I really wanted "Bohemian Rhapsody" to be utterly nuts.
Chris, get Queen Video Hits 1 in DTS (not DVD-A). Crank up your amp and enjoy. This is NOT a conservative mix. I was not thrilled with the surround mix on "The Night at the Opera" (I don't have a DVD-A player). As far as non-hi-resolution mix is concerned, I like Video Hits 1 much better.

w

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the Eagles "WHFO" (as if we don't already have enough acronyms) in DTS on DVD-V. I have used it in the past as a reference music disc, but I was thinking that the DVD-V in DTS would be the same production as the DVD-A playing on a DVD-V player. Final answer: Wait on the Eagles until I have the RP-82 at Christmas.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought I would like the more aggressively mixed DTS music CDs but they seem too gimmicky. Maybe it's my sistem but my copy of 'Fly Like An Eagle' Steve Miller Band doesn't flow around the rooms. It jumps. It's all a matter of taste but for me I really enjoy

Yes - Fragile

David Benoit - American Landscape

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.