AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30" CRT 1080i sony that i am getting rid of and going to buy a flat panel to put on my wall. I've been to a few stores and wast looking at LCD's I had decided that the Samsung LN46A650 was the best of the bunch for the price. Now a friend of mine told me for around the same Money I could get a Plasma (either the PZ800U or the PN50A650) and i'd be SOOO much happier with that over the 120hz LCD especially since I love watching Sports.. So now I am all confused again. I mainly watch SD and HD tv through my HD cable box, I play a ton of XBOX 360 and I want to hook my PC into my new TV so I can watch Blu-Ray movies and hopefully use it as a PC monitor to surf the web and such (not all the time but some of the time).

The room it's going in is 13ft x 8.5ft while viewing distance will be 8-10 ft on avg. The TV will be mounted on the North wall, there are 2 windows west wall but the TV will be recessed about 19 inches from the window so glare should be too much of an issue.

So my issue is how do I decide if I should go with LCD or Plasma being price is nearly the same and for what i'd mainly want to use the TV for?

·
Registered
282 Posts
With your setup, might want to stick with your initial suggestion and get the LN46a650. While burn-in is not that big of a deal with modern plasma HDTV, I still would advise against it with your setup, which seems to involve a lot of static images for long periods of times. This way you won't need to constantly babysit your set, and just enjoy it.

But if you're willing to comprise, you should certainly give plasma a try. It'll be fantastic for sports (120hz not needed).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's personal preference. Also you may want to check online stores and forum sponsors cause I can guarantee that no store will be able to beat their prices, not to mention the level of customer service.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylez777 /forum/post/15553840

I have a 30" CRT 1080i sony that i am getting rid of and going to buy a flat panel to put on my wall. I've been to a few stores and wast looking at LCD's I had decided that the Samsung LN46A650 was the best of the bunch for the price. Now a friend of mine told me for around the same Money I could get a Plasma (either the PZ800U or the PN50A650) and i'd be SOOO much happier with that over the 120hz LCD especially since I love watching Sports.. So now I am all confused again. I mainly watch SD and HD tv through my HD cable box, I play a ton of XBOX 360 and I want to hook my PC into my new TV so I can watch Blu-Ray movies and hopefully use it as a PC monitor to surf the web and such (not all the time but some of the time).

The room it's going in is 13ft x 8.5ft while viewing distance will be 8-10 ft on avg. The TV will be mounted on the North wall, there are 2 windows west wall but the TV will be recessed about 19 inches from the window so glare should be too much of an issue.

So my issue is how do I decide if I should go with LCD or Plasma being price is nearly the same and for what i'd mainly want to use the TV for?

I will give you my two cents. Having come from an LCD, I thought that Plasmas weren't going to be good in well lit rooms. I took a chance and bought the Panny 850U. Boy was I surprised how bright the TV was. And I haven't found any LCD who's picture can compete with the Panny. Don't get me wrong. The Samsung LCD is a great TV, but It still doesn't compare to the Panny. These days you do NOT have to worry about burn in. You will have to decide yourself, but I will guarantee you that you won't have to worry about lighting conditions or burn in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have to use my TV as PC monitor. I def want to output my PC blu-ray to the TV. So a Plasma is not good to use for Xbox 360 gaming cause of the possible still images? Though in theory the Plasma TV looks better then the LCD?

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylez777 /forum/post/15555842

I don't have to use my TV as PC monitor. I def want to output my PC blu-ray to the TV. So a Plasma is not good to use for Xbox 360 gaming cause of the possible still images? Though in theory the Plasma TV looks better then the LCD?

I have a plasma. My friends have plasmas. I own a PS3, XBOX 360 and a Wii my kids are HUGE gamers. You will be fine playing games on it. Burn in was an issue in the past. You will be fine. Let your eyes be the judge, but I just sold my LCD and bought a plasma and as of now, I personally believe Plasmas have a better picture hands down.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gaming on a panasonic plasma will be fine...just got done with 3 hours of fifa, and not the slightest IR and certainly no Burn in

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I game on my plasma with the thing set to Vivid. That's how worried I am about burn in.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/15553926

It's personal preference.

+1. I like the Panny plasmas, but I like the picture quality of the Samsung A650 LCD sets more.

If you love sports though, best thing would be to view both sets extensively in-store, while watching... sports.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylez777 /forum/post/15553840

If you do allot of computer and games on it I would go LCD.

Despite what plasma fans say you CAN get burn-in on a plasma. That "break-in" period for plasmas is a euphamism for controlled burn-in. The screen loses more of it's brightness in the beginning so more of a chance to burn-in an image. If you want to see Ammo=888 and Health = 888 permanently etched in the corner of your screen after gaming get a plasma.

You also get distracting banding and moving dither on plasma sets that make dark games look bad. Plasmas make good mirrors too, if you want to see the rest of the room as much as your game get a plasma.

Just make sure the TV has a VGA PC-input so you can display your PC even Xbox 360 (has VGA out too) at 1:1 pixel mapping. Reading text scaled is very bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts