AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at relatively inexpensive subs as a first sub for my new house (i've never had a sub before, so I may or may not really even be able to tell the difference between a $200 and $500 unit...).

For the moment it will be going with a pair of Speakercraft AIM8 Threes (in ceiling) and be mainly used for music.

My budget is around $200, $250 might work if it's really worth it.

I'm mainly wondering if I should go with something new and 'budget', like a BIC F12 or dayton or if maybe I should go the ebay route and try to find something a little better but older for the same price. So far my possibilities are looking like:

M&K V75 MKII,

RBH SW-12W

Jamo E8Sub.5

NHT SW3S

Polk PSW505

Cerwin-Vega LW-15

I like vintage/used stuff, but know very little about what to look for in a used sub.

The room is my living room - which is essentially the entire 20x48 first floor of the house and includes the kitchen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstudios /forum/post/20891244

So I'm looking at relatively inexpensive subs as a first sub for my new house (i've never had a sub before, so I may or may not really even be able to tell the difference between a $200 and $500 unit...).

For the moment it will be going with a pair of Speakercraft AIM8 Threes (in ceiling) and be mainly used for music.

My budget is around $200, $250 might work if it's really worth it.

I'm mainly wondering if I should go with something new and 'budget', like a BIC F12 or dayton or if maybe I should go the ebay route and try to find something a little better but older for the same price. So far my possibilities are looking like:

M&K V75 MKII,

RBH SW-12W

Jamo E8Sub.5

NHT SW3S

Polk PSW505

Cerwin-Vega LW-15

I like vintage/used stuff, but know very little about what to look for in a used sub.

The room is my living room - which is essentially the entire 20x48 first floor of the house and includes the kitchen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hate to break it to you, but you aren't going to be able to get a sub that can handle a room that size for under $800

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
that's a HUGE space!

He'll be able to find a sub that'll handle it at 40 or 50hz and up for that price, but you won't feel it like a proper sub should be felt, unless you step up to something like a JTR Captivator or DTS-10 -- which is oh say -6 times your budget.

I guess it depends on what you are expecting. With that small of a budget you might as well just pick up an F12 and have a room filled of reasonably loud 35-40hz and up bass --- realize it won't do anything at 20hz, nor will any of the other budget subs in that much airspace.

For comparison two HSU VTF-15H's in a 1500 cubic foot room open to the rest of the house are loud enough to nearly rattle your teeth and physically move your clothing. When we moved one of those subs to my 3500 cubic foot room (more or less open to the rest of the basement) I personally didn't feel anything tactile at all. you are talking about ~7500 cubic foot -- assuming you have 8 foot ceilings.

You are either going to have to

1)dramatically up the budget if you want tactile room filling bass

2)consider nearfield placement of your subwoofer (right next to your couch)

3)just forget about low hz reproduction

4)consider buying two subs for smoother room coverage (even something like two BIC F12s)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys. i guess i don't care much about feeling the bass, i'd just prefer to be able to hear it and make up somewhat for the very thin sound of the in-ceiling speakers. it doesn't even have to be super loud - the living room is directly under my 1 year old's bedroom...i realize its a big space, but in actuality the main listening area is less than half - about 20x20.

so am i to understand that the amount of air the sub has to move is related to how low it will go?

the main reason i was looking away from the BIC is that i've read it's not ideal for music and can be somewhat boomy. would any of these other used models be more musical that the BIC, even if not quite as loud?

thanks again

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
Most of us enthusiasts" want to "pressurize our space. That is to say we want to feel the subs sound in a very tactile way. To do that the sub has to progressively more powerful as the size of the airspace gets larger. Since that doesn't seem to be your intention than the sub can be much less capable. The bicf12 is not the most musical option for the price but is one of the best movie watching subs for that price category. For a clean sounding sub the hsu or lava subs are usually recommended. But don't expect much for this price range in your tremendous airspace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have any recommendations, then, for a sub that might be in the $200-250 range that is more suited to music? are there older subs designed more for music since home theater is a slightly newer concept?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also just found a definitive technologies super cube III for $200...but would it be way too small for the space?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Lava lsp12 can be had for $280 with 15% AVS forum member discount( just call customer service and they will give you a personalized discount code)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Since none of the subs in, or above your price range will do the job, I'm going to recommend a cheaper sub with some pretty good output capability. This way you can see what you're dealing with, and only be out a small amount of money, so you wont feel bad if you decide you need to upgrade to something like an ED A5-350 .

Check out the Dayton SUB-120 for $150 shipped. I see no reason for you to spend $100 more.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstudios /forum/post/20892205

i realize its a big space, but in actuality the main listening area is less than half - about 20x20.

The problem is that the sub "sees" the entire 20x48 area, so that's what is working against it, both in terms of pressurizing the room and in terms of how loud the sub can get.

Acoustical physics don't seem to respect arbitrary human definitions of room boundaries for some odd reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, guys. i'll see what i can find on the cheap. the main reason i might avoid a dayton sub-120 is that it would not be particularly useful in any other room, either, since it doesn't seem particularly well-liked for music. it would be worth it to me to get something like a BIC v1220 or F12 and feel good about using it in a smaller space if i need to at a later date.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20894007

The problem is that the sub "sees" the entire 20x48 area, so that's what is working against it, both in terms of pressurizing the room and in terms of how loud the sub can get.

Acoustical physics don't seem to respect arbitrary human definitions of room boundaries for some odd reason.

Not to mention 20x20 is still huge lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts