AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story:

I bought a 42" Toshiba LCD HDTV back in the summer. I loved everything about The Toshiba TV after i got it excpet for its horrid viewing angles and black levels. So im going to sell that TV within the month.

So im starting to look for a replacement ($1,000-$1,500) and im looking for another LCD. Now my requests are listed below. Are there any LCDs that would work for me? Or should i wait for 2009 LCds with LED baclighting?

1. Great Black Levels in dark room

2. 1080p

3. 42" 40" Possibly even 37"

4. Good Viewing Angles

5. 120hz

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/15538446

Either you go A950, XBR8 but these are expensive. Your better off going with a Plasma.

I thought about plasma too, but i just cant risk the burn in factor as i really like to play video games.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A950 is beyond the OP's budget, and doesn't have good viewing angles. XBR8 is silly expensive.

Better to look at things like Samsung A650/750, Sony XBR6.

In 40", you'd have to either buy online (Amazon, NewEgg) or at a pretty good big-box store sale to stay within your budget, though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok ive narrowed it down to 3 choices:

1. Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85U 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

2. Sony Bravia XBR KDL-40XBR6 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

3. Samsung LN40A650 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

Now I have concerns with all three sets:

For set #1, my concerns are glare, burn in and not as sharp looking picture as LCD. For set #2 they are the price (about $1,600 off amazon) and fluctuating black levels as descrived in its CNET review. And for the Set #3 my concerns is glare and the purple haze.

So as you see, im stuck and need help. So PLEASE can you guys help lead me in the right direction or give me your honest opinion of those 3 TVs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For your concerns with #3, Samsung makes a set, the LN40A630, which is almost exactly the same as the 650, but has a semi-matte screen, i.e. isn't near as glossy, so less of a reflection/glare problem.

The downside of the less reflective screen is that the colors 'pop' a bit less, and the contrast ratio might slightly diminished. Side-by-side, I prefer the 650, but it's close.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15539681

For your concerns with #3, Samsung makes a set, the LN40A630, which is almost exactly the same as the 650, but has a semi-matte screen, i.e. isn't near as glossy, so less of a reflection/glare problem.

The downside of the less reflective screen is that the colors 'pop' a bit less, and the contrast ratio might slightly diminished. Side-by-side, I prefer the 650, but it's close.

Hope that helps.

I looked into that set and its dedicated thread to that and people say the Blacks on the 630 are a lot worse than the 650. Blacks are pretty important to me now after my first LCD so i just dont think i can go with the 630.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's true to a point, but it's best to view the sets for yourself and be your own judge.

Well-intentioned folks on forums can point you in the right general direction and give you a lot of good general info, but nailing down the specifics is always best left to the buyer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15539761

That's true to a point, but it's best to view the sets for yourself and be your own judge.

Well-intentioned folks on forums can point you in the right general direction and give you a lot of good general info, but nailing down the specifics is always best left to the buyer.

The problem is that I live in a small town of about 20 thousand people so I only have two stores that specialize is tv and audio. And out of those two I don't think they even have the plasma or the xbr 6 on display so it's kinda hard to judge for myyself. I'll check tomorow and see if they have those two models, but chances are that they do not.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/15538446

You're better off going with a Plasma.

+1...

Your dislikes of your current display vastly out weigh the negatives of owning a plasma; especially when the dislikes of the LCD are enough to warrant selling it

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman /forum/post/15539878

+1...

Your dislikes of your current display vastly out weigh the negatives of owning a plasma; especially when the dislikes of the LCD are enough to warrant selling it

I would love to go with plasma but I'm terrified of burn in. I. Ant risk it with all the games I play and movies that don't fill the whole screen or just accidentally leaving it on for hours.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelearth /forum/post/15539910

I would love to go with plasma but I'm terrified of burn in. I. Ant risk it with all the games I play and movies that don't fill the whole screen or just accidentally leaving it on for hours.

the only risk you would have is on games... even then it would be minimal.

What type of gaming routine do you have?

I have left my 2 yr old panny on for over 24hrs with no burn in. Most inputs will go blank after an hour or two if left on. And concern about letterbox black burning in is just flat out not going to happen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman /forum/post/15540083

the only risk you would have is on games... even then it would be minimal.

What type of gaming routine do you have?

I have left my 2 yr old panny on for over 24hrs with no burn in. Most inputs

will go blank after an hour or two if left on.

And concern about letterbox black burning in

is just flat out not going to

happen.

I probably game about 2 hours a day and the

games I play have graphics that stay on tv

For the whole time play.

Does panasonic offer any warranties against burn in?

Also does breaking in your plasma pretty much garrantee no burn in at normal picture settings?

Thanks

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelearth /forum/post/15540124

I probably game about 2 hours a day and the

games I play have graphics that stay on tv

For the whole time play.

Does panasonic offer any warranties against burn in?

Also does breaking in your plasma pretty much garrantee no burn in at normal picture settings?

Thanks

I am sure there are plenty of plasma owners that game more than you do without burn in...

To my knowledge, no manufacturer warranties against burn in

Breaking in the plasma does not garauntee anything other than you broke your plasma in.

If you only game 2 hrs, I wouldn't worry about it. Heck, last night, my kid left the intro screen of 'Cars' on my plasma for 4 hrs and it is just fine

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman /forum/post/15541177

I am sure there are plenty of plasma owners that game more than you do without burn in...

To my knowledge, no manufacturer warranties against burn in

Breaking in the plasma does not garauntee anything other than you broke your plasma in.

If you only game 2 hrs, I wouldn't worry about it. Heck, last night, my kid left the intro screen of 'Cars' on my plasma for 4 hrs and it is just fine

I just feel like it would be better i went with an LCD. Even if the chance is very small of burn in, i still dont want to take that chance.

So with that said, I think im going to go with XBR6 as it has the deepest black levels of any LCD (no led) and does not have a shiny screen.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
1. Plasma. You won't get burn-in from playing video games. If you want to buy a CCFL LCD, that's fine, but don't expect to get good blacks. It's not going to happen.

4. The Panasonic LCDs (IPS) have very good viewing angles, but 37" is the largest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelearth /forum/post/15546268

Even if the chance is very small of burn in, i still dont want to take that chance.
Link

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you can, go check the XBR6 for it's screen reflectiveness.

It's semi-matte screen at best, not matte. A matte screen is like what some old LG LCD's have.

I compared the XBR6 with the Samsung A750 (identical screen with A650) and the "intensity" of reflection is similar, it's just the reflections are more "blur" on the Sony.

I personally went with the A750 and have no reflection problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I have now swayed back on over to maybe getting a Panasonic Plasma. My brother has 50" Th-50px60u and i could play games on it and hd content to get a feel for waht a panasoniuc plasma would be like today. He also says that he somtimes plays madden with the sports ticker in the corner of the screen for 3-4 hours at a time and has no problem with burn in.

Also, if anyone is intersted in buying a Like new, perfect condition Toshiba 42" XV540, just email me at [email protected]

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts