AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THanks in advance to anyone kind enough to direct me:

Can someone explain to me step by step or direct me to a diagram for the best way to hook up the following, using the highest quality connections, TV, RECEIVER, and Blue Ray will be brand new.

I'm a newbie and I'm going to attempt this on my own.

Receiver

Plasma HDTV

DIRECT TV BOx

5 channel Speakers

Power SUB

Blue Ray player

VCR

Cd Changer

I see some diagrams recommend the HDMI run from DIRECTV box to receiver, where others show HDMI from DIRECTV box straight to TV.

Is Digital Fiber optical best for Audio?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depending on how many HDMI's your receiver has, you could have the Direct TV, BluRay, and TV all going into the Receiver, that way you just need to use your receivers controller to switch between tv, bluray, and i guess music. Thats how I have my system set up currently

·
Premium Member
20x22 dedicated space, BenQ HT3550, 150" 16x9 screen, Yamaha RX-A3070 5.2.4
140 Posts
Ideally, I would suggest making the receiver the hub for all connections if at all possible - that way you only change sources in one place. Without the model information of your receiver, we can't make an official recommendation. You want to minimize the number of cables/connections going to your TV if you have a decent receiver. If your receiver is able to convert any of your signals from your non-HDMI sources to HDMI, it would be simple. Otherwise, you'll need multiple connections from your receiver to your TV if you insist on keeping a VCR in the loop. I wouldn't. Cut the cord and see how long you can go...
Your CD changer only needs 2 channels - I chose optical or digital coax. You shouldn't be running audio out of your TV here since you have DirecTV. HDMI audio is still the best assuming there aren't any hiccups in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guys thanks for the info, the receivers I am deciding between are Denon avr 1910, yamaha 665 and onkyo txsr706, leaning towards the denon. Open to thoughts on those, thanks With this Denon model, they advertise the following advice:

"run just one HDMI cable from the receiver to your HDTV with no other cables required"

Is this ideal?

Thanks in advance for the additional opinions.

Best,

J

·
Premium Member
20x22 dedicated space, BenQ HT3550, 150" 16x9 screen, Yamaha RX-A3070 5.2.4
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreenhed39 /forum/post/17046122

guys thanks for the info, the receivers I am deciding between are Denon avr 1910, yamaha 665 and onkyo txsr706, leaning towards the denon.

J

Yes. This is a receiver that does what it says. You can have everything plugged in to the receiver, run 1 HDMI cable to the TV and switch all video/audio sources through the assignable inputs of the AVR 1910. Apparently the only knock on that AVR unit is its remote layout. Who really cares about that? People who buy these usually end up getting a Harmony remote. Connecting your components is easy. You can see on the back of the receiver that things are labeled quite simply. Inputs are inputs, your subwoofer preout is labeled clearly, and you have room for growth for more HDMI sources if you ever need them. I personally have a Yamaha, but I think I like the Denon better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts