AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am looking to buy a new entry level projector for my home. Which will eventually go into my home theatre that I am currently building.

I initially want to start in the entry level projectors. Been looking at the hd66, the epson 705 as well as a veiwsonic and acer that fit in this same range of projectors.

There aren't any really local places here for me to go check out the different models and am on the fence about dlp. A friend let me use his Mitsubishi hc3000 that he bought a few years back. I wanted to see if me or the wife saw the rgb effects. I believe the Hc3000 had a six segment color wheel. No matter what I do shake my head move all around I can't see any type of rainbow effect nor my wife or several friends.

So I was wondering if any of these newer projectors have better color wheels or would I likely be more susceptible to these cheaper models. I just dont really get what color wheel tech is better....less segments...more segments..faster speeds etc. Also I would prefer to be able to shelf mount about 10-12 ft from the screen next to all my equipment if possible. My room is easily light controlled. But would like to play in ambient light as well.

Hope this was enough information. Any help in my decision would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I think the Mits. 3000 had a 4x color wheel. Neither of the 2 projectors you listed will work for you, because they don't have lens shift. If you want to put it upright on a shelf, you need an LCD with lens shift. And it sounds like the LCD's will be over your budget.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well besides the mounting issues how do you think these compare pictures wise to a older model like the hc3000. I am mainly concerned to whether I am more likely to see the rgb on these. Eventually I will ceiling mount but I would still prefer to cast a good size screen from 10-12 feet. So do you have any recommendations in this price range? As I said I don't really care about a 1080p if its possible to get something close to the hc3000 in this price range would be sweet.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC
I think the Mits. 3000 had a 4x color wheel. Neither of the 2 projectors you listed will work for you, because they don't have lens shift. If you want to put it upright on a shelf, you need an LCD with lens shift. And it sounds like the LCD's will be over your budget.

Put it on the bottom shelf. You will have to sit on the sides of it though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. But I am really interested in whether I am more or less likely to see rainbows on some of these newer models vs the hc3000. Is color wheel speed the most important or is it the color wheel segments? I have seen some people say the hd66 and similar have bad rainbows possibly because of the high lumen output. I can get pretty creative with mounting but if I am ceiling mounting would prefer to have it at the very back of the room about the couch and my av equipment.

Anyways thanks for the replies I finally found one place in my city that carries a few projectors besides office max etc. So maybe I can just find out for myself tonight.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastie /forum/post/19621700

Is color wheel speed the most important or is it the color wheel segments?

It depends. The chance of rainbow effect lessens as you increase wheel speed as the red, green, and blue (RGB) segments pass any given frame more times than they would on a slower color wheel. So the speed can help in that case.

Or...

Sometimes manufactures simply add 2 sets of the RGB color segments, thus making it a RGBRGB wheel which can achieve the same color refresh rate per frame of a standard wheel with one set of RGB segements, yet running at half the speed.

Its a tad more complicated than that in actuality, but this is in Layman's terms.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative /forum/post/19621839

It depends. The chance of rainbow effect lessens as you increase wheel speed as the red, green, and blue (RGB) segments pass any given frame more times than they would on a slower color wheel. So the speed can help in that case.

Or...

Sometimes manufactures simply add 2 sets of the RGB color segments, thus making it a RGBRGB wheel which can achieve the same color refresh rate per frame of a standard wheel with one set of RGB segements, yet running at half the speed.

Its a tad more complicated than that in actuality, but this is in Layman's terms.

Thanks for the information man there is just so much information to sort through with projectors all the different speeds and color layouts make things confusing. I still cant find exactly what color wheel the mits hc3000 that I am borrowing. I see the 3000u has a six segment rgbrgb at 4x. I wonder if its the same.

Does anyone know the speed and colorwheel layout of the hd66 or hd20?

Also one last question I saw the epson 8350 on sale at a couple of places is this projector worth the extra couple bills over the hd20? Maybe I will just pull the trigger on that one as well though I am concerned about the blacks with a lcd.

Once again thanks for the information guys and if anyone has any ideas on things in my price range 800-1000 that would be great. I keep checking epson clearance as well. Any other online retailers that tend to have deals this time of year?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I believe the HD66 has a 3x color wheel speed.

I'm certain that the HD20 has a 4x

·
Banned
992 Posts
I would wait till February and see what CES brings.

3D should be pushing prices down, as will new model anouncment lower old models.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I was originally thinking about waiting til after xmas and seeing what new models were gonna start rolling out. But last week my downstairs lcd went out which made me decide to go ahead and work on my theater. I don't really watch any television besides football. Everything else is xbox, ps3 and movies.

Maybe I will just move one of my 47's downstairs until I make a decision. I really wish there were more places locally (I am in Indianapolis) to check out projectors. Both places I went to charged crazy restocking fees. Maybe I need to check out an ovation. Havent been there in ages.

As always guys thanks for the information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I wanted to update what I found about the hd66 and hd20

Hd 66 has a 5 segment 4x speed wheel.

hd 20 has a 6 segment 4x wheel.

I called optoma directly to ask them. It took about 10 mins for the guy to find the info on the hd66 because he said there was no service manual.

Anyways I am going to post this in the hd66 forum as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea thats my problem I have no idea if my wife or I are very acceptable. We are borrowing that hc3000 and even if I throw a huge image and sit and shake my head around during credits I see nothing. Same for her. So looking for something with the same layout.

I saw projector central compared the benq 1000 and the hd20 and kinda points back to it in the review of the 1000+ as well.

Sounds like a steal at 799. Now where is this sale????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts