AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, these things are re-hashed once a week and I know it all depends on personal taste, but I'm going to ask for opinions on this anyway :)

I am going to be re-building my theater that was in the house I just sold. One of the things I had to leave behind was my Dwin HD-700 projector so I need to get a new one.

I don't want to go back with the Dwin because you can't find them used and I want to only spend about $3-$5k this time. Plus, with the advances in the digital world (at least from a marketing perspective) good re-built CRTs of higher quality than my Dwin can probably be had in my price range.

So, let 'em fly -- any and all opinions on what you would go with. My point of reference is the Dwin for PQ, brightness (I had a 90" wide 16:9 and will probably step that down to 85), and noise (that's going to be the trickiest part).

Any former Dwin owners out there that "upgraded"?

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I would go with a SONY 127X somthing or another. I beleive these things blow away DWIN projectors by far.

Heck, I have a SONY 1031Q thats doing as good a job as an HD-700. My opinion of course.

The SONY 127X series can be had for what your looking to spend and are pretty easy to set up. I think they are a bit noisier then the DWIN however? I know the DWIN had a single fan deep inside of it where the SONY I think has a few fans. It would be worth asking someone who has a 12er'. My 1031Q has 2 fans and it is vertually silent.

Why did you have to leave the HD-700 behind? couldnt you have pulled it out and installed a DLP in its place so at least the theater was operational for then new owner or did you get a good price for leaving it behind?

By the way, That theater is gourgouse! I bet you could do it again, even better! I hope you didnt have to leave all those amps behind especially the QSC..........:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My experience is limited to the Sony 12xx, Barco 808s and Barco 1208. The sony has a very nice picture but is way to loud. It ether needs fan mods or a hush box. The pq of the barcos are better and after the Sony i don't even hear them, I actually like the 808 better because of the size.

good luck Mike

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VR -

I left the Dwin because the buyer had already seen it and because it would give me an excuse (with the wife) to upgrade to an 8" model :)

I took everything in the rack with me replacing them with a prog-scan dvd and integrated amplifier.

Also, fyi, I'm not using the transcanner anymore. I've replaced that with an NR @ 720p.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ebr,

The Barcos are a very nice upgrade to the 8" models. The S version is particularly nice if you can find one.

Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.