AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have two NR818's already. They are working great but my bedroom AVR is going out to service. The 727 is $600 and the 818 is $649. I am leaning to the 818 because XT32 and more power. Any thoughts on the two choices? Thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do a bit of searching for threads about Onkyo and problems with reliability. I would go with Yamaha, but you are free to buy whatever you want, no matter how unreliable it might be.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadcorp  /t/1524544/buying-new-receiver-onkyo-nr727-600-or-nr818-649#post_24536853

First off I have two NR818's already. They are working great but my bedroom AVR is going out to service. The 727 is $600 and the 818 is $649. I am leaning to the 818 because XT32 and more power. Any thoughts on the two choices? Thanks

Doubt you would notice the difference in power.

The 818 when first out seemed to have a few issues. Not so many reported with the 727.

Since I've never used REQ software I can only say that the XT32 is supposed to be a lot better than the Multi EQ that's on the 727.

As for Yamaha, unless you step up to the 2000 or 3000 series, you're limited to a single global crossover and if you're hooked on room correction the lower end Yamahas don't EQ the sub.

Maybe take a look at Denon or Marantz in that range. You won't get XT32 but will get XT.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1524544/buying-new-receiver-onkyo-nr727-600-or-nr818-649/0_100#post_24538090

As for Yamaha, unless you step up to the 2000 or 3000 series, you're limited to a single global crossover ...

If one has picked a balanced set of speakers, it will be fine to use one crossover frequency for all speakers. People who waste money on main channel speakers that can go lower than they need to go when one has a subwoofer may feel differently, but an ideal system will require only one crossover frequency for all speakers, because one will select identical speakers for all channels and consequently their bass response will be the same.

For the OP, what do you want for your money? Features or reliability? Or do you want to compromise between these two? Or is there something else you are wanting? You should think carefully about what matters to you, and buy accordingly. Neither I nor anyone else here will live with the consequences of your decision. But you will.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1524544/buying-new-receiver-onkyo-nr727-600-or-nr818-649#post_24538286

If one has picked a balanced set of speakers, it will be fine to use one crossover frequency for all speakers. People who waste money on main channel speakers that can go lower than they need to go when one has a subwoofer may feel differently, but an ideal system will require only one crossover frequency for all speakers, because one will select identical speakers for all channels and consequently their bass response will be the same.

Not everyone can have the same speaker for every channel. Most surround speakers or speakers used as surrounds don't have the same capabilities as the mains. Often the center channel is compromised in some way.

For my current setup for things to sound right to me with a single crossover it would require me to run a 120hz crossover.

It's about the only reason I would not consider a Yamaha or Pioneer AVR. Even if I ran all the same speakers I don't want to be limited to that single choice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The receiver I am sending in for service is a Denon. I have two of the 818 and have not had any problems with them. For my bedroom setup all I need is 5.1. Most of the AVR's now have tons of features. I do like the Xt32 on my 818's. But with my system in the bedroom the standard should be fine. All I have in there are some old Def Tech Pro Monitor 100's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts