AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying overseas & VOLTAGE CONVERTERS?

Without listing priceslet's just say I can purchase an AV unit from overseas for less than half the price I can get it here in AUSTRALIA! However in Australia we use 240Volts to run our appliances unlike the 110Volts from where I would like to purchase from.

Could I successfully run a sensitive device such as an AV Receiver via the use of a Voltage Converter without problems? Would I end up with static hum/clicks and so forth, that may damage the unit or impede its performance?

Also, this may sound ridiculous, but knowing nothing about AV units, would I have to worry about things like NTFS or other regional settings for video playback when it comes to an AV unit & purchasing from overseas.

Any help would be great...

Thanks.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think you can get away with doing that with pre-amps and disc players, but I wouldn't try it with a receiver or power amp. I use a step-down transformer with a couple of imported units, but despite being heavily over-rated, it still gets worryingly hot. Power amps will use a lot more juice, and my thoughts are that they are designed to be connected to the mains, and a second transformer in series with the power supply will inevitably affect the sound quality. In some cases you may be able to change the jumpers or wiring internally, but I know for a fact that with SOny amps at least, you would need to change the transformer, and I expect that's not unusual.

Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I thought so. I also read somewhere...The cleaner the power, the Better!

I'll search elswhere like honkong or something for a 240Volt.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some further investigation and found that the "Yamaha RX-V663" comes in two models, "Asia and General".

Page 4 of the Manual
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../022RXV663.PDF

Indicates that the general model has a Vlotage Selector on the rear panel!

This kind of reminds me when the power supplys of OLD PCs used to have the same thing...I blew a couple up
LOL

Anyways...seems to be good news...I still wonder if this will impede on its performance, but the fact that a switch is provided already built in does make me feel a whole lot better than using a voltage converter.

I should read more on the warranty side in reference to this, just to make sure...I'm off to email the guy on ebay to see what model he is selling.

For those interested I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
I still wonder if this will impede on its performance, but the fact that a switch is provided already built in does make me feel a whole lot better than using a voltage converter.

Nah man if it has the switch from the factory it'll be just about the same either way. Sometimes equipment like this is rated for a hair more output capability in countries utilizing 240VAC as opposed to 120VAC. Usually equipment like this will have a special transformer in the power supply that has dual primary windings. The windings are switched to series for 120VAC and switched to parallel for 240VAC. Works great either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts