AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - Thank you to the originators and posters on this forum. Your advice and reviews have made a significant positive difference in this process.

After two months of research and in store viewings have finally decided to pull the trigger on the 50" Panny. Figured this was the biggest bang for the buck until the next generation of sets arrive...hopefully that won't be long...then I'm just going to sell the Panny and move up to my dream machine in the 60" zone. At least this way I'm in the game until then.

Can't deal locals down...Sears, CC, BestBuy...below the 10% off. Adding sales tax (6%) puts me pretty close to the upper range. Have tried the scanned receipts, cash, you name it. I have locked CC into the 10% off price but am seriously considering buying the set online in the low $2000's paying shipping and saving the tax. Saves me another 12% over CC price.

Three basic questions;

Does anyone know the pros and cons of ordering online from one of the discount dealers like PlasmaBay, or PlasmaHouse?

Can I get a local warranty from one of the not so big three?

Would you simply recommend paying the extra $300+ to minimize return hassles in case that becomes necessary?

TIA

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThorsHammer
Would you simply recommend paying the extra $300+ to minimize return hassles in case that becomes necessary?

TIA
Yes! Then on the other hand, yes again! :D

You may find that you want to return the set for some reason other than failure. That's not possible through Internet dealers. The service contract at Sears is supposed to be cheaper than CC. Have you check that out? They both have good return policies but I think Sears gives you 60 days instead of the 30 you get at CC.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Same dilemma here with my purchase of a Samsung HLN437W. Not only can I cannot get much of a deal with CC, BB or Sears but supplies at those three are scarce. Best price I can get is 3,450 where online I've seen it as low as 2,800. Plus shipping would be another $50 less then paying tax. Works out to a 20% savings... but still, such a high ticket item I hate to think of the what ifs in problems or returns..... Has anyone tried to get CC or Sears to match an online price???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinger
Has anyone tried to get CC or Sears to match an online price???
I recently tried to get Sears (Chicago - Loop) to match the price on the panny 50" LCD. I went in armed with scanned receipts, a printout of the datavision ordering page, and my checkbook.

The manager wanted nothing to do with me. He would only match something that originated locally. He was kind of intrigued by the sears reciept that I brought in, but ultimately, he said no.

I was pretty disappointed that he would not even offer me some sort of a deal. The best he could do was the open a sears card and get 10% off that they were already running.

ymmv.

Michael

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had basically the same experience at Sears...which is too bad because they do have an excellent return policy and I would prefer to buy from a B+M for the service support...especially with a relatively new technology.

It looks like it all comes down to this;

yes I can get a local warranty even if I buy online...but it won't have the same flexibility on a return. So, does the extra savings balance out the risk? Unfortunately not much empirical evidence to make a decision with as not many people have bought this set from an online dealer.

I have one more local option to try today. I'll report back.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThorsHammer
So, does the extra savings balance out the risk? Unfortunately not much empirical evidence to make a decision with as not many people have bought this set from an on-line dealer.
Risk is the reason you don't find many people buying expensive items on-line. The best on-line stores do NOT offer the amazing discounts either.

As for risk, good luck. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.