AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have opinions on buying a new versus factory refurbished reciever. In particular, I'm looking at a Harmon kardon avr 1700.

[ebay links are not permitted - mod]

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you are talking about a factory refurbished unit, that can certainly be a reasonable option.

The question is how much are you saving and do you have an Amex card to buy the refurb end unit with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The receiver is on eBay. From Harmon kardon eBay store. Has same warranty as new unit. 199 instead of 299 new

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ordered my reciever. i know this is may sound like a dumb question but what type of plug does the ave 1700 take for speaker wire connections. Just a typical banana plug?

·
Registered
28,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzy1990  /t/1523943/buying-refurbished#post_24575027

Don't have it yet. Didn't look like it would accept bare wire

they all accept bare wire. You just unscrew the speaker terminal a little and insert the bare wire and then tighten back down. You'll figure it out when the receiver gets there.

Look at page 11 of the manual.
http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/AVR1700_OM_EN-1.pdf

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Another question. Does the AVR 1700 have a audio setting that would allow me to run the tv/video through it still, but not using the speakers connected to the receiver and utilize the speakers on the television still?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody have a clue how to run the avr 1700 without having the speakers running connected to the receiver. I'd like to find a way to run just the video through and use speakers from tv

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Bought a new Sony TV like that in Feb. saved a ton . it was actually a new set still had the plastic film on it and the energy sticker just some minor box damage . Lots of factory refurbish are new just out of the new sales channel for one reason or another cancelled orders ,EOL models returned from retailers,items with only package damage ,overstock etc ofc some are consumer returns . If they take them out of the box and only test them

they have to sell as refurbished or open box.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've had very a very good experience from harmanaudio (hk avr 354). Solid for 5 years

Recently ordered 3650 from them, I was without an avr for almost two months sending and receiving two 3650's, and finally getting upgraded to a 3700.

The prices are very good, and from my experience eventually you will be taken care of. Vu from customer service was very nice, I just wish I didn't know him on a first name basis from dealing with 3 units over 2-3 months.

Also on the two units I sent back, the problems presented themselves within ten minutes of setting - - - - so I question how we'll the refurbished are tested

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzy1990  /t/1523943/buying-refurbished#post_24580692

Anybody have a clue how to run the avr 1700 without having the speakers running connected to the receiver. I'd like to find a way to run just the video through and use speakers from tv

Should be just plug and play. Normally if you didn't want sound coming out of the tv speakers you'd have to turn them off in the tv menu. Do you not have enough HDMI ports on the tv to just plug into it? I was about to buy the 1700 of Ebay but noticed that that thing is getting TONS of complaints about going bad quickly. It really put me off when I saw that just the Ebay refurb listing had sold over 400 units that had to be refurbished.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts