AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I missed an earlier comparo - sorry, I did look for one.

I will be buying one of these units by Sunday 10/17 - can you help me?

I have a Denon 3805 AVR with the Denon-link. The only real difference I can see between the 2910 and the 3910 is the Denon-link and some bass management. The Denon website 2004 features chart indicates that the 3910 has selectable 40/60/80/100/120 bass management for DVD-A/MLP - whatever that is, and SACD. Also Delay time control for SACD.

Other than the convience of having a single wire (Denon-Link) over having multiple component and multi-channel audio (which since Denon-link doesn't support SACD yet) cables, what is the major benefit??? So bass is fixed at 80Hz for the 2910, is it really worth $600 more for these two features?? I could add a DVD recorder/Tivo unit for what I would save!!

Please clue me in - in a hurry - if I would really be missing out on going with the 2910 and using the extra $600 for other stuff!!

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Paul,

I too own the Denon 3805. I just purchased a 2910 tonight - it didn't hurt that The Great Indoors let me use a 15% off coupon either..

I never really considered the 3910 - seemed to me to be a better DVD-A/SACD player for a LOT more money. You've need to decide which is more important to you in the player - audio or video. Quite frankly, I don't listen to much music myself and would enjoy spending the extra on other things. I'll probably buy one or two DVD-A or SACD discs just to have around to show off the system, but otherwise don't see the player being used much for the audio section. I believe the video sections of the players will turn out to be quite similar and if that's what you think you'll be using the 2910 for, pocket the money..

I purchased the 2910 to fit into my home theater, which I think it will do nicely..

Mike

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
If you are mainly interested in video PQ, than go with he 2910. It has pretty much the same PQ as the 3910. However, if you're also interested in audio, the audio DACs in the 3910 are much better than in the 2910 and in the 3805. So if you are a critical listener to music (redbook CDs, SACD, and DVD-A), yes, the 3910 is worth the extra $$, using the 3910's DACs.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Strictly a money issue. If you have the beans, get the 3910.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
If you are mainly interested in video PQ, than go with he 2910. It has pretty much the same PQ as the 3910. However, if you're also interested in audio, the audio DACs in the 3910 are much better than in the 2910 and in the 3805. So if you are a critical listener to music (redbook CDs, SACD, and DVD-A), yes, the 3910 is worth the extra $$, using the 3910's DACs.
Bill covers it pretty well.

But beware when/if you decide that video is more important than audio. I felt initially that I was more interested in the video side and since owning the 3910 for the last month + I can't tell you how much more the audio portion of the player has influenced/changed my opinion.

Lets put it this way. I now own more SACD's than I thought I ever would.

Bill

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
DVD-3910 has more connectivity, better audio if you are very much into hi-rez music, better bass cross-over/speaker distance options, a very good DVD-transport (drive/tray mechanism), and a good build quality. If money permits, 3910 could be a better option.

However, in real life, if your speakers would work well with 80Hz crossover or if you have an Outlaw ICBM, if you don't care about speaker distance settings (i.e., if your room is small enough and your seating arrangement permits it), if you don't have too many SACD/DVD-A discs (anyway there's very limited selection available outside classical and jazz; and some even question future of hi-rez music), DVD-2910 can serve you well. Even if any bug or major glitch is discovered later with these new Denons, it will hurt you less having spent less on 2910. Though I haven't heard, 2910 audio wouldn't be bad as AVR-3805 uses the same DACs if I am not mistaken, and people seem to like 3805's audio in most cases. DVD-3910 is in stock almost at all places currently, while DVD-2910 is on back order at many places if this indicates anything (not conclusively though because 2910 was released later). Also, since 3910 has better DACs than your AVR-3805, in theory, you are served well by 5.1 analog connection for the hi-rez music.

Did I make it more difficult to decide?

Disclaimer: I am a satisfied customer of DVD-3910 having owned it for close to a month now. I also own AVR-3805.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for all the input - I am interested in audio on DVD-A and SACD. Here's what the Denon website actually says about each unit:

2910:

DVD-Audio and SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1791 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no cross-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio, featuring Analog Devices Melody 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time(0-15ms)and Channel Levels • Full Digital Bass Management for SACD; 80Hz crossover with 6/12dB slopes on all channels; Adjustable channel levels • Bass Management avaialble for all formats on the HDMI output • MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Playback

3910:

Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1796 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no cross-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio/SACD (optional), featuring dual Analog Devices Melody 100 'HammerHead' processors (DSD signals are converted to PCM) • 40/60/80/100/120Hz crossover points with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time and Channel Levels • Bass Management avaialble for all formats on the HDMI output • Source Direct Mode for PCM or SACD, bypasses Bass Management Speaker Configuration, but permits Channel Level and Delay Time adjustments (No conversion of DSD signals to PCM) • MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Playback

So the big differences I can see in the 3910 over the 2910 are:

1 - Full digital bass mgmt for DVD-A/SACD(optional - what does optional mean?)

2 - Dual instead of a single Analog Devices Melody 100's

3 - Multiple x-over points instead of one (80Hz)

4 - Adj time delay and channel levels (how does this differ from what the Denon 3805 AVR does?)

5 - PCM -1796 Burr-Brown 24/192 Audio DACs

These seem like fairly minor differences, but I will take your word for them that they make a BIG difference. I just wanted to be fairly certain that it was worth almost DOUBLE the price of the 2910. I also just wanted to try and make sure that I wasn't purchasing processing capabilities that were already covered in my 3805 AVR with those extra $600. If they were in the 3910 so it could work well with an AVR without the capabilities of the 3805, I could see the value to some other peoples systems.

Thanks again for anymore light you all can shed!!

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
The 3910 is the successor to the 2900. The 2910 is the successor to the 2200. The 2900 was and is a superior unit to both the 2200 and the 2910. (Even though it doesn't have DVI or HDMI, it's still better.) Therefore, I definitely consider the 3910 the king of that entire pack.

If you have the beans, I'd go over the top and get the 3910 myself. Don't overthink like I do. The extra money puts you over the top. You'll never look back. Do it!

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
As noted above, the biggest difference, other than DenonLink, is the BB 1791 audio DACs in the 2910 (same DACs as in the 3805 and the older 2200 DVD player model) versus the BB 1796 DACs in the 3910 - they are just better DACs. Specs alone can't tell you how much of a difference they make to the audio quality, again assuming you are going to use the player's DACs (if you use the DACs in the 3805, then it is a moot point; just go with the 2910).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
2910 doesn't have Denon's AL24 (don't know what it is) audio signal processing; 3910 has it. So apart from better DACs, may be this also is a contributor to "good" sound on 3910. Many don't like AL24 (and most of them are Pioneer fans based on what I read on various forums). 3910 also has more picture tweaking options if needed for your display.

·
Premium Member
26,557 Posts

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Depends on your needs. The 3910 is a signifigant step forward audio and video from the otherwise excellent 2900. I see the heirarchy of Denon players like this:

You just have to chose which one hits your needs and suits your budget.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mangopony
Looking at all the information above, seems the one to buy would be....Denon 2900...which I am considering. And can buy it for 50 percent of cost of 3910.
Most would disagree. The 2900 is probably a better value, but the 3910 is a better player.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Scott B: I have seen both 2900 and 3910 and really doubt if I could tell the difference (video) on most DVDs. And, as mentioned, the price is much less! You always have to balance performance against cost. The 2900 was a $1000; now selling 40 percent off.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
If you only plan on outputing audio as a digital rather than analog signal, what are the advantages of higher end DACs and audio stages in the DVD player?
If you have the 3805 receiver, then you will get better audio performance with analog output from the 3910 to the receiver, using the player's DACs, than digital output, using the receiver's DACs, since the 3910's DACs are better than the 3805's DACs. If you are going to only output audio digitally to the receiver, then you are correct that you do not need the 3910, but you are sacrificing audio performance.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
That is assuming that you the DACs in the A/V receiver or processor are inferior to those in the 3910. That may be the case for the Denon 3805 which I am unfamiliar with, however, as I have a Lexicon MC-1, I would only be outputing a digital audio signal. In my case, I guess I really only need to concern myself with the video quality of the DVD player. Is the 2910 comparable to the 3910 in video quality?

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Scott,

You are correct, then. If your receiver has high end audio DACs, then the 2910 will be fine (video reportedly almost indistinguishable from the 3910). However, I believe you need to output analog for true SACD.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
You are correct in that for SACD, the DVD would have to output analog as the MC-1 does not have 5.1 digital audio inputs. This is not a concern for me given that I only use my home theater for watching movies.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.