AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Flame retardant suit is on, so I can ask typical newbie questions. And I have searched the site...honest!

I'm using a Pioneer VSX-821 (I think...I'm away from home right now) as the power for my home theater. The speakers are cobbled together from accumulation over the last thirty years. Huge floor speakers for fronts and rears, and a cheap JVC set for center and extra surrounds. I've got a 100 W Yahama sub that I bought from Future Shop.

We're doing some rearranging in a 20 by 10 foot room, and I'd like to replace the entire set of speakers with something better and considerably smaller. The fronts are15"x30"x10" (great end tables); the rears are only slightly smaller. I don't mind keeping the sub. I've got between $500 and $1000 to spend. The new Pioneers I've been reading about on here sound fantastic...but not easily available up here (at least not at anything resembling the prices I've seen posted here!)

I'd love any recommendations for a 5.0 or 5.1 setup I could get in this price range. My room doesn't lend itself well to the 7.1 setup I'm using. The extra surrounds do no harm, but don't do much good, either.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to provide input.

Steve

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if it was me, I'd think about spending that budget on a decent pair of speakers and work your way up gradually to a full surround system. You will be making serious compromises to quality trying to get 5.1 in that price range, whereas there are any number of speakers in the $1000 per pair range that could last you a lifetime. Having said that, if you're determined to go the full HT route all at once, you might want to consider one of the internet direct companies like Aperion or Axiom (there are threads on this forum for both so you can talk to owners) and keep an eye out for sales or promotional packages. Another option (depending on where you live) would be to go the used route. Check out Canuck Audio Mart. Also lurk on the Futureshop site and wait for a sale. You might even get a chance to audition them in a store, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck with your hunt.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
Working with mackiefan's comments, based on another forum member's opinion, a pair of these with a complementing center channel would be a good starting point.

There's a less expensive version in the form of a RX6. I intentionally recommend a step or two up with the intent of leaving it up to the person on the other side of the monitor to make the decision to look down the list. Yes, I'm mean like that.

They also have more reasonably priced bookshelf speakers. These coupled with their matched center channel (RX Centre) and you should be good as for the start of a new beginning.

(And yes, I know the RX8's are way outside your stated price point but you'll find in reality, a reasonable budget is about three or four times a wishfully stated price point.)

-

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1421513/buying-surround-speakers-in-canada/0_100#post_22245859

Working with mackiefan's comments, based on another forum member's opinion, a pair of these with a complementing center channel would be a good starting point.

There's a less expensive version in the form of a RX6. I intentionally recommend a step or two up with the intent of leaving it up to the person on the other side of the monitor to make the decision to look down the list. Yes, I'm mean like that.

They also have more reasonably priced bookshelf speakers. These coupled with their matched center channel (RX Centre) and you should be good as for the start of a new beginning.

(And yes, I know the RX8's are way outside your stated price point but you'll find in reality, a reasonable budget is about three or four times a wishfully stated price point.)

-

how much are those?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hell's Bells that's a good deal! It's too bad we Canucks don't get the same selection of electronics on Amazon.ca (not sure why that is)
. To continue with this idea, Monitor Audio makes excellent speakers at just about every price point. The Bronze BX & MX lines are really good value for the price. I have the older Bronze BR in 5.0 and just love it.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
What I meant was, he could = go with the 6's. if he's getting any sort of sub, the 8's loose their advantage. I've had both and kept my 6's with a sub for very close to the same price. You can't expect many places to give a deal straight off to a new customer.

But for his budget, I'd be looking at some axiom stuff. Good speakers and you'd almost be able to get a 5 channels without a sub for your budget. www.axiomaudio.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts