AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just at that stage where im looking for a really good DVD player and i dont know what i should get so im asking you guys what you think.

My brother told me to come on here to ask the question because he bought a Panasonic DVD RP82 and he said its a very good player. (DAC)

I have a nice T.V, its a Loewe and thats why i want a good DVD player to go with it. Im not sure if i should buy a Loewe Xemix 5106 DO, because there might be something better then that for the money and you might be just buying the name.

Could you guys give me some ideas and answers on this, that would be a great help.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Mate - With all the chatter on this forum recently about new models of DVD players (Denon, Panasonic, etc...) I'd suggest you get a tall, cool, drink (or maybe a warm cup of coffee since your seasons are opposite ours) and just spend a few hours reading this forum. You'll get a wealth of background info and things to consider. Then, come back with some specific ?s and it will be more beneficial for you, I think. :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The first decision you need to make is whether to go for a player with just component output or one with DVI as well. Does your TV have DVI input?

You can find a lot of posts here on DVI players, but this is bleeding edge so there may be a few quirks along the way.

For traditional component output players, we're at an impasse now as the previous crops of high value/PQ players are becoming harder to find:

Panny RP82, XP30, XP50, and to a lesser degree RP62, and also Denon 1600. Follow this link to see DVD players shootout:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5

I guess a lot of people are eagerly waiting for the 2004 version of the shootout. Sooner or later we need to let go of the above players and move on.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
If you want a brand new model, the only choice now is the Devon DVD-1600 for around $300 at stores like Crutchfield - but you have to hurry because they are selling out fast and it will be discontinued soon. The excellent Panasonic models (RP82,XP30,XP50) were discontinued months ago and now you can only buy them on EBAY for $200-400 mostly used. The new model Panasonic are cheaper and lower quality - forget them.

There are some slightly lesser quality new model Faroudja-based DVD players in stores now. The Denon DVD-910 ($299), Denon DVD-1200 ($399) and the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($250 at Tweeter). These are all the same basic design with or without DVD-Audio. They have a softer picture than the older Denon DVD-1600 and Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 and also they have a color flicker on the top/bottom edges of saturated color areas that the older models lack, but most likely not noticeable on most regular DVD video material.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.....

Does the Denon DVD-1600 have RGB cause iv been told the picture quality is better then component and my Loewe only has scrat connections?

I wonder if they have these players in Australia yet. Might have to ask my GF to get me the player in USA :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have a Loewe (Aconda) TV, and although I love the TV, I didn't even consider getting a Loewe DVD player. Because of space limitations, I wound up with a Yamaha DVD-CX1. It is their "flagship" 5 disk changer, and is basically a beefed-up version of the Panasonic RP82. It has much better audio (Burr-Brown DACs) and is built like a tank (double top and bottom plates, 23lbs!). It is currently selling here for $499, after originally listing for $1,299 with a street price of $899. I have it hooked up to the Loewe via component, since like most players in the US, it doesn't support RGB.

By the way, I don't think a player picked up in the US would do you any good, because it would play region 1 DVDs only, and you need region 4 in Australia.

Peter

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcb
Because of space limitations, I wound up with a Yamaha DVD-CX1. It is their "flagship" 5 disk changer, and is basically a beefed-up version of the Panasonic RP82.
Quote:
From Secret's

This player has the cross-color suppressor in the FLI2200 on, so you may see some flicker on saturated colors like those found in Toy Story.
I almost ordered one from bandnamez.com, but CCS is a showstopper for me.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The format of MPEG2 video used on all DVDs is component (YUV) video, so conversion to RGB isn't going to enhance video quality. You could use an external component to RGB transcoder device, but I would say component video is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea what i am doing is trying my brothers Panasonic DVD RP82 up against the Loewe Xemix 5106 DO, there both pretty damn good. But with one good thing about the loewe you can use one remote with it. :D

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased the Denon 1600 and am extremely pleased with the unit. My only complaint is with the unit's construction - it feels rather cheaply made. This is my first DVD player after comming over from Laserdiscs so I'm somewhat used to the more substantial feel and weight of the larger players. In retrospect, it is probably a step up construction-wise from the very lost cost (US ~$100.00) players but I have no other point of reference to say definitively.

From what I understand, the version of the 1600 sold in Austrailia does not have component outputs which would probably be a show-stopper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ok where did you find out about that? Im sure it would be the same as the one made in the states and what was the price for the player in the usa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.