AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and it looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that could probably help me out. I've finally decided to take the plunge and buy my first big screen plasma and (blue ray). Right now I have a 32 inch tube so anything will be better.

I've narrowed my choice down to the Panasonic Viera TC-P58S2, Panasonic Viera TC-P50G25 and the Samsung PN50C550. In the store I was at the G25 was kind of set off to its own and had a better picture than the other two but it also seemed to have its own feed. I really like the size of the S2 but the picture didn't seem that clear. It was sharing a feed with several other TV's. The 58" S2 and 50" G25 were priced the same. I had them play a demo disc on the G25 and the Samsung and the G25 still seemed to have a better picture. Not that the Samsung was bad at all but the G25 just seemed nicer than the other two. The only reason I include the Samsung is it was on sale for about $400 less. Will the source have that big of an effect on the picture?

I'm not a video guy. I don't do a lot of gaming just play a little wii with the kids. We watch some movies and the only sport I really watch is football. So my question is given the above does the picture quality outweigh the size for what I would call a casual viewer (viewing area about 12')? Also it necessary to break in or calibrate a Plasma? I have to have help setting up a vcr so I'm sure calibrating could be trouble for me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hello, and welcome!

Yes, the source has EVERYTHING to do with the picture quality.

Yes a plasma will tend to improve during the first couple hundred hours of break-in, and yes a calibrated plasma will look better.

I have a 50" S1. I love it. Personally, I'd go with the 58" S2 and do some research on setting the brightness, contrast, and color correctly. Some people think these settings are only "personal preference" but that's not true at all. There are optimal settings for these that have nothing to do with personal preference. This is the AV SCIENCE board, after all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found out I get an employee discount if I order through panasonic's website. I also get one at sony. Any idea how the BRAVIA NX800 compares to the G25. I could probably get them for close to the same price.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 /forum/post/19571984

I just found out I get an employee discount if I order through panasonic's website. I also get one at sony. Any idea how the BRAVIA NX800 compares to the G25. I could probably get them for close to the same price.

Tough choice. Both are great tv's. I happen to have both in the house. My dad bought the 60NX810 and I bought the tc-p42g25. NX800 is usually way overpriced. I like the smoother and more colorful images of the G25 but you will probably have to see for yourself. Switch to THX Mode for Panasonic to compare. The NX800 has great settings as their standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts