AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be for primarily movies/TV and some gaming/internet fun. 15 by 20ft living room, 7.1 setup.

TV: Panasonic TC-P50G10

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

Surround: Energy C50

Front Towers: Polk Monitor 60's

Sub: Premier Acoustic 120

Any suggestions, critiques, or other advice is always appreciated. I will not be purchasing for a few weeks I think.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Nothing obviously wrong. Get your cables from monoprice.com now so you'll have them when you set up.

·
Premium Member
14,086 Posts
I don't see a center speaker. Unless you're getting a 3rd Polk Tower for the CC.

Craig

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the wiring already, from good ol mono.

Center Speaker is part of the C50 system. I was considering going with Energy towers, but the Polk monitor deal was so good and I liked the reviews.

Unless you had a suggestion of an upgrade in any part? Or some sort of other system I have not heard of yet for comparable price or whatever. I am pretty flexible on that.

I am buying:

Television (plasma) 1200$

Reciever (pioneer seems to be the best bang for buck I can find) 350$

7.1 surround system (2 towers and 4 surrounds and one sub) 480$

PS3 (mainly for the blue ray, games 2nd, I am a Halo guy 1st) 500$

Laptop (HP dv7) 1350$

Right now my total is 4200$ from the various places online I have found everything. Any other options, suggestions are very welcome as you can see I am replacing everything and putting my system in my living room in my bedroom.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hmm. I missed the center issue. Get a center that matches your front speakers.

Personally, I would spend less on the video side and more on speakers. But that is personal taste.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question:

I have a JBL 10in passive sub sitting around that I might like to add to the system in addition to the PA-120 and a JVC rx 6010v reciever ( http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-JVC-RX-6010V ) sitting around.

Could I use that to power the sub and amp any of the speakers I have mentioned if you think they need it? Such as if the Monitor 70's need any extra umph?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Its not that the Polks would be better than the Energy speakers or whatever. Its that if you want Polk monitor 70s or any other monitor series speakers for your front left and right you need to have a center that is from the monitor series and preferrably the surrounds need to be Polk monitors as well for the best sound. It would be that way no matter what speaker brand you get. The Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K is fine to power just about any speakers. Receivers don't power the sub. If you want to use the JBL sub you will need a dedicated sub amp like these http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...AT&srchCat=505 . Also if the JBL isn't in a box designed for home use then you will need to build a box, NO CAR AUDIO BOXES, my option don't mess with the JBL and sell it and the JVC and use that toward getting another PA 120. Ideally, correct me if i'm wrong anyone, if your going to go with multiple subs they too should be the same sub, not a 10in and a 12in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea on the selling, I totally did not even think of that. I will post it up on craigslist immediately.

My preference is for HT surround, from what I have learned from you guys is that the energy speakers are more smooth sounding great for music. Although I love music, this will just be for HT and the Polks being brighter would be better for those lines?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Most all speaker manufacturers don't design speakers for just hometheater or music. A good speaker will play anything equally, doesn't matter if its movies or music. The members on this forum that has Energy speakers for HT and music, it more depends on if you like a speaker that is laid back or forward or neutral. For example, many think Axiom speakers are bright and brittle and they can't listen to them no matter what is playing movie/music, I like them and can listen to them all day will hometheater, rock, jazz, heavy metal and I like them. So it depends on your ears if a speaker is bright or laid back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got a similar setup to what you are looking at with the Polk Monitor 60's up front along with the CS2 center. I'd recommend that center, as it's a pretty good deal right now and goes well with the monitors.

I'm looking to add better surrounds as well and am trying to decide between the Monitor 30's, or the C-50's/C-100's. Is it really so important to match the surround brands? That aside, which is the better speaker?

edit: Also, would you guys consider the Monitor 40 worth a $30 premium over the pair of 30's? They look to be essentially the same speaker, but with one extra mid driver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might be able to save a little money on the TV by going with the Panasonic S1 in stead of the G10. I was set on the G10 but then decided that for me the extra features weren't worth the cost and instead put the money toward a better audio setup. S1 is very close to the G10.

So anyway I went with the S1 and love it, no regrets. I also bought that same Pioneer receiver and it is great so far. Also, I just pre-ordered the new PS3 slim for $299 (finally a decent price). You can pickup some of the old 80GB PS3s for $299 with a movie and a game bundled if you check at retailers like Best Buy which could save you a couple bucks as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I second the fact that you should match brands, at least across the back an the front... All energy's or all polks... And, as a fan, I would suggest the Energy route. What deal are you getting on the monitor 60's? and what energy towers did you look at? You can get the Energy C-300's for $130 each. and the C-50's are $94 a pair shipped... the C-C50 is going to prove to be hard to get a hold of now though... And I believe unless you already ordered it, the C-50 5.0 package is now sold out, at least it is at WWStereo...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe I am going with the Polk Monitor 70's in the front.

Debate on this I guess is between the Polk Monitor 40's or 30's for the surrounds.

I am going all polk for this one as you guys have suggested.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts