AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I've been researching subs for the past 2 weeks, I notice my budget keeps going up.....oh well.

Anyway, After at various points leanings toward HSU, CHT and Rythmik I think I've finally narrowed it down to the ed A5s-300 and the SVS SB12-NSD. (HSU got axed as they dont accept paypal....don't ask; CHT got axed for WAF; Rythmik was out of my 600-ish budget).

SO between these two i'm torn -- both are sealed subs with good reputations, equal WAF, and good specs.

SInce they are both ID companies I unfortunately cant audition them locally (can't pay the $100 shipping to send them back), so wanted to get one last opinion of the board regarding these finalists.

budget: $600 +/- 50

size: no requirments

room: 15x10x10

Uses: HT mainly, at medium to soft levels (light sleeping toddler in the house)

timeframe: flexable

TIA

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Have you looked at the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus? It is pretty much the Hsu VTF2 mk3's twin, except with a slightly more powerful amp.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I haven't listened to either sub but if you ever should need it, the SVS customer service is unbeatable. On the other hand, the eD specs look a little bit stronger, but the sub is backordered so you might be waiting a while for that one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was in a similar boat - looking for a smallish decent sub, and I was down to the ED A5s-300 and the Epik Legend (about the same price, shipped). The SVS was more expensive and I wasn't sure that I wanted to pay the extra bucks for it. I looked at Outlaw and Hsu, but they were pretty big subs, and I wasn't looking for an end table. I was planning on the Epik (better for music, so I am informed), until I chanced upon a used Rythmik and my plans went sideways. The question is whether you want to pay an extra amount for the SVS or stay at a lower cost with the ED (or the Legend, even though it's not on your list). If you do like Outlaw (size not being a factor), and can afford to wait, they usually have a sale around the holidays with 10% off and free shipping.

From what I can gather from various forums, everyone who buys a sub that they like ends up swearing that it is the best make and recommending it to others. I found very few comparison between subs and those are usually for larger models.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The best cure for "light sleeping toddlers" is to make noise. They get more and more tired and after a few days noise stops bothering them.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply's. I'm going with the eD for a few reasons:

1) given I don't play loud (thank you again toddler!) I don't think i'll notice much difference in sound quality

2) eD is $100 cheaper

3) eD desnt use MDF in its construction

thanks for the replies everyone!

till the next ugrade.........

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski /forum/post/0

thanks for the reply's. I'm going with the eD for a few reasons:

1) given I don't play loud (thank you again toddler!) I don't think i'll notice much difference in sound quality

2) eD is $100 cheaper

3) eD desnt use MDF in its construction

thanks for the replies everyone!

till the next ugrade.........

What's wrong with MDF?

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20803066

What's wrong with MDF?

Probably nothing, but since formaldehyde can be on of the binding agents used in it, I guess I wouldn't want my toddler around it. (I know, it's not aerosolized but why take the risk of potentially having a carcinogen around if you don't need to)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski /forum/post/0

Probably nothing, but since formaldehyde can be on of the binding agents used in it, I guess I wouldn't want my toddler around it. (I know, it's not aerosolized but why take the risk of potentially having a carcinogen around if you don't need to)

They don't use formaldehyde in MDF anymore.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I wonder if eD is using Wonderboard, Uniboard or Woodstalk...

All of which introduce different problems...

Specifically, if you are allergic to wheat, you shouldn't be around Woodstalk. (although buying something finished/painted is not the same as buying the board yourself and working with it)

Then, if they really want to be "environmentally friendly" they could use Hempboard.

What do Hempboard/Wonderboard/Woodstalk/Uniboard all have in common?

They all fall under this "EFS" moniker that eD is using.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
I wonder if eD is using Wonderboard, Uniboard or Woodstalk...

All of which introduce different problems...

specifically, if you are allergic to wheat, you shouldn't be around Woodstalk. (although buying something finished/painted is not the same as buying the board yourself and working with it)
Well if they aren't using formaldehyde in MDF that's one thing, but I wouldn't assume MDF finished with formaldehyde is perfectly safe until enough time has passed to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski /forum/post/20803389

Well if they aren't using formaldehyde in MDF that's one thing, but I wouldn't assume MDF finished with formaldehyde is perfectly safe until enough time has passed to know for sure.

eD doesn't use MDF any longer

they use EFS This material is an Environmentally Friendly Substrate, herein known as EFS, that is not only healthier for the environment but also for their employees that work with EFS. EFS does not release the added carcinogens commonly found in MDF.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/elementaldesigns_efs.php

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Question, since i see you bought the A5s...

Can smaller subs like this compare with their larger brethren, given the same/close specifications?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/20803793

Question, since i see you bought the A5s...

Can smaller subs like this compare with their larger brethren, given the same/close specifications?

Absolutely not. Size rules.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/20803852

Absolutely not. Size rules.

Ah, thats what i figured, thanks. I just kept getting a weird feeling that something wasnt quite right with these small guys.
Glad i have no wife/gf...maybe not so glad actually.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
A good small sub can sound pretty good if the maker makes some wise compromises, but you gotta give up something. It might be depth. It might be output. It's a tradeoff.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
IF you want to drool...I have both of these...one in the living room, the other in the basement...

Von Schweikert VR-9S

Velodyne DD18

Both bought used. The VS on a private local sale. The DD18 via Audiogon.

And yes...size rules.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input.

After speaking to Alex I ended up deciding on the ed A3-300. I was waiting for the backorder to end before placing my order, but in the meantime kept perusing audiogone, and the B-stock's, and ended up ordering a SVS pcs12 nsd that appeared on B-stock.

I would have liked to wait for the eD, but figured I needed to end this sub-quest and get back to my life!

thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts