AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching for a few weeks now and have visited Circuit City and Best Buy several times. I'm buying a flat panel for our bedroom, and I want to order it tomorrow. The viewing distance will be about 10-11' and the room will usually be pretty dark. Since it's in the bedroom, we usually watch a sitcom or two in SD or the end of the Yankee game during baseball season. We do watch the occasional DVD and I will be getting another HD DVR cable box for the bedroom. So I need it to look good for both SD and HD. We hate stretched images, so that is a consideration for SD. We don't mind the black bars but would be worried about burn in on the Plasma.

Whenever I go to a B&M the displays that invariably catch my eye are the LCD's. I figure this is because they are brighter and in the brightly lit store, they just stand out. I also like the sharpness of the LCD's.

So, Here's what I'm thinking.

Panasonic 37pd25u/p. What I like about it is it's 5 inches bigger and about 500 cheaper. People seems to absolutely love it. I might even consider going with the 42 inch model. I worry about burn in if we watch too much SD. How much is too much?

Sharp LC-32G4U

I like the sharpness and brightness and the fact that burn in is not an issue. I'm worried that it might be too small and too bright for the bedroom.

I would really appreciate any help with this decision. I don't know why I'm agonizing over it. I'm sure I'll be happy with either one, but I'm on the fence and I need to be tipped to one side or the other.

Oh and lastly, should I buy an extended warranty? I never have before and , knock on wood, have never regretted it.

Thanks much.

Jason

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
In a dark room you are going to notice the LCD's not so black blacks. And of course, 37" is a lot bigger than 30" (the actual area difference is bigger than the ratio of these two numbers).

Here is what I would say. Anytime you can't decide, buy the cheaper one! It doesn't matter what it is. Car, etc. The difference in cost should tip the scales if you are stuck in the middle.

Me? For a bedroom set I would not spend a lot of money and burn-in is not an issue since it won't get as much use anyway. For SD, just zoom the image and you have no burn-in chance.

Amir

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonDono
Sharp LC-32G4U

I like the sharpness and brightness and the fact that burn in is not an issue. I'm worried that it might be too small and too bright for the bedroom.
FYI, the Sharp has an auto brightness control (called OPC) that, if activated, will automatically adjust screen backlighting to compensate for ambient lighting. I find it works very well for my LC-37G4U which is in my master bedroom. It has been a very welcome addition, whether watching TV during the day (next to a bay window), or DVD's at night. I have never had to adjust backlighting since using OPC.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
All I can say is I own the LC-32G4U and its in a completely dark room.No light at all in my bedroom because I work nights and need dark when its light out. Let me just tell you its just awesome in a very dark room.Believe it pretty much out does anything I've seen in a long time.I just watched Braveheart today on it and my god it was breathtaking.I said to myself several times "it looks HD". All I can say is you can't go wrong with this LCD.By the way HDTV looks like your looking out of a window.Like you can touch whats on the screen. Hope that helps J.H.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.