AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presently, front projector technology, like computer ware, is evolving in quantum pace. Revolutionary development occurs annually. The smartest thing is consistently to buy the newest released lower line projector. What you are getting is the state-of-the-art from six months ago, but at one third the price. Good recent examples are the Sharp Z90 (1200:1 CR ratio) and Infocus X1 (2000:1). Such performance was not available a year ago even if money were no object. I don't know about you, but I am always will to lag six month behind the best and save tons of money. The difference between people in this forum and those in the over $5,000 hall, in the long run, is we have all that extra money in the bank.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I picked up a real nice XGA DLP with a MSRP of $5500 for $4200 shipped. The image is truly excellent with a 1080i source and nearly as nice with a decent DVD 480i input.

So, for me... I long for developments in better DVD players. Such as those with DVI/HDCP 1080i output.

I don't see myself jumping at another projector anytime soon and should be able to patiently await a HD native 1080i DLP chip when they come down the road.

Could I have been happy with someting even less expensive? I don't know. I am really impressed with the image quality of the Marantz 12S2, and the HT1000 comes close enough to make me happy. So in this regard, I have definitely kept some money in the bank.

RJ

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Well, I agree with you about getting cheaper projectors since the difference compared to the high priced ones is not worth the 3-4 times price premium. However, I don't think it always makes sense to be behind the technology cycle simply to save money. For me, it really comes down to value and the leading edge products can sometimes have better value than the cheaper products.

All I know is that until all the problems get fully ironed out, I won't be spedning upwards of 5 (hell, even 4) grand on a projector any time soon. It's amazing what you can get these days for under 2 grand.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
tfyk,

I agree with the philosophy of buying the state of the art from 6-mos ago. I'm going to order an X1 and probably get rid of my old Sony CRT. I just can't watch a movie w/o wanting to make an adjustment to something. I visited a high-end store yesterday and was mesmerized by a $16k Runco DLP on a 110" screen. I figure my 80" diy screen and an X1 will hold me for another year or so. Even if I could afford to spend that kind of money ($16k) on a PJ, I probably wouldn't. I'm in the process of upgrading my theater with new PJ, power, speakers and seats. BTW, I like the 3000-hr bulb. I only use the room for movies and 3000-hrs will last a long time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff Hovis - You're making the right move. When you take the 16k Runco home, it is, as a pre-owned, already depreciated to 8k. And you won't really enjoy it, because you are constantly concerned that the mark II, or III of your model would be released (and it will), at which point the 16k "investment" becomes a 4k item on ebay.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree that buying what you're comfortable with is the right choice. Whether that is a cheap and cheerful under 2K pj or a more expensive one should only be of interest to the person buying the machine. I certainly paid under 5K for mine but I would have paid more if I had felt I needed to in order to get to a level of performance that makes watching an enjoyable experience for me.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Nice to see that we're all so smart :)

Obviously, the smart thing to do is become informed and make the best decision for you, whether that is spending $1k, $2k, $4k, $7k, $200k or anything in between (or higher).

--Darin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.