AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I properly examine a used screen before buying? I mean beyond obvious rips, stains, or wrinkles, what should I look for?

Details of the screen in question if that helps:

Stewart Studiotek 130 Gen 1
100" diagonal 16:9
$200 on Craigslist

this would be my first screen purchase so I have no frame of reference. Any tips, or guidelines are appreciated. Going this Sat. to view/purchase. Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How do I properly examine a used screen before buying? I mean beyond obvious rips, stains, or wrinkles, what should I look for?

$200 on Craigslist

this would be my first screen purchase so I have no frame of reference. Any tips, or guidelines are appreciated. Going this Sat. to view/purchase. Thanks.
Pretty easy to make your own screen really. I made my own for 125 bux. Painted the wall a white, silver and a metallic paint from Michaels Art store. Mixed it all up and painted 6 coats on wall. Used some 2x2 wood and built frame and painted it black. 163 inch screen for 125 bux for materials, that simple.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

$200 on Craigslist

Ideally, I would want to see the screen mounted on the wall. For examining the screen, I would want an all white image projected on the screen so I could notice any stains or surface defects. If that's not possible, I would take a flashlight to shine over the screen to do a close up viewing (not the best way, but maybe the only way).

If the screen is not mounted I would have some concern before making a purchase. By not seeing the screen mounted or put together, you not only are missing the obvious flaws on the surface, but can it be properly mounted to the frame, so there aren't any waves or wrinkles due a defect in the screen to frame mount? The good think is Stewart's are well built screens and the way they attach to the frame usually creates perfect tension vs other companies methods.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty easy to make your own screen really. I made my own for 125 bux. Painted the wall a white, silver and a metallic paint from Michaels Art store. Mixed it all up and painted 6 coats on wall. Used some 2x2 wood and built frame and painted it black. 163 inch screen for 125 bux for materials, that simple.
Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly that sounds anything but simple especially when considering the time involved. I will gladly pay $175 (negotiated the price down) for an off the shelf screen from a top tier manufacturer. While I can appreciate the DIY approach, it doesn't make sense to me in this situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts