Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(2) C-500 tower speakers

(2) C-50 rear

(1) C-C100 center

(1) S8.3 sub

375$

They are supposed to be around 4 years of age.

I think even if their remaining life is short, that this is a good price.

However this would be my first ever home theater speaker purchase and it's all very sudden. I wasn't planning to buy anything until yesterday when I jumped on a Denon AVR-1713 that was on sale at 200$ (liquidation, demo unit).

What is YOUR opinion?

Pass and wait?

Jump?

or none of the above?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I think that's a good deal, the sub is probably a litte weak for a medium or large room, but when it was offered it was popular. 4 year old speakers are pretty new in the grand scheme of things, well cared for speakers will last decades. I say go for it, you will get a matching set which is often hard to do when buying used. That is a very good deal on that receiver, I bought one not to long ago for $300 when Best Buy was clearing them out, it has Audyssey MultEQ XT which makes a world of difference.

In that price range, you could get the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, but you won't have anything left for a sub, it's hard to beat the value of used. I think the Energys should sound as good if not better, just make sure to listen to them first with different material and at different volumes to make sure you like them!

Reactions: insthink

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your very useful reply!

I have a curveball to throw in...

I just found out that the seller is also selling the Energy 5.1 Take II Classic Home Theater System, claiming it is a few months old, for 350$ as well.

Now, aside from me having to ask him why is he seller two different sets of speakers, I wonder if I should consider the Energy Take II, or the older kit.

The sub is stronger on the Take II, but the front speakers on the older kit are better.

But the front speakers on the older kit are huge and I havent figured out how to place them next to the TV since I have no floor space on either side.

If it's any help regarding the subwoofer's power necessity.... the TV room is a basement room that is about 15'x12', but with an opening of 6' to a bigger room (20'x12', the opening is on the long side)

edit - Just to clarify: The Energy 5.1 Take II is NOT available for 350$ in stores in Canada, more like 600$, because we suck

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
The Energy take system is a satellite system, and as such you face certain limitations. Speakers obey the laws of physics so there is only so much a tiny little speaker can do. I personally would go with the first system you described, those Energy speakers should perform pretty well, and you can always upgrade the sub at a later date. However, if placement is an issue, maybe you want to keep searching. I think you can do better than the Energy Takes. What else is for sale in your area?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Yea, if you live in the USA, you can get the Energy Take classic 5.1 for under 200 dollars on sale. Either way, the Take classic is a small bedroom set up. As Trans says, the first system has way better speakers, the HEART of any HT system and the sub can be upgraded later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i will get the first system. I didnt know the energy take 2 were so weak.

For the tower speaker placement, i will just move a glass door book shelf away since we never really use it.

Thank you both!

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
Definitely get the first system. Nice large floorstanding speakers will trump little satellites, especially with a 20 x 12 room.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
The energy c-500 theater system was my first energy system ,this speakers sound best for movies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all.

I bought the speakers on my lunch break. Wow are the towers bigger in person (and quite heavy too).

I cant wait to try them in my basement and watch some movies, but i think i will only have time to get the two fronts and the sub working tonight :p

This is my first HT system, so i cant be disappointed, i knew nothing better than my childhood logitech z560.

any suggestions for the lfe and bass crossover setting on the avr to best use these speakers?

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
Plug in the microphone and run Audyssey on your 1713.

It'll probably set your speakers to Large. Set them to Small and crossover at 60hz or 80hz.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insthink  /t/1499555/buying-used-set-of-energy-speakers-is-this-a-steal-good-deal-i-mean#post_23949012

Thank you all.

I bought the speakers on my lunch break. Wow are the towers bigger in person (and quite heavy too).

I cant wait to try them in my basement and watch some movies, but i think i will only have time to get the two fronts and the sub working tonight :p

This is my first HT system, so i cant be disappointed, i knew nothing better than my childhood logitech z560.

any suggestions for the lfe and bass crossover setting on the avr to best use these speakers?

Enjoy! You are in a for a treat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts