AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know buzzing is an old topic, but the Panny 500U is a new unit.

I bought it at TVA in Santa Monica and the purchasing of the PDP was a pleasant experience.

But when I'm sitting ten feet away with the mute on, buzz is audible. It's masked if the volume is about 12-15. The unit is brand new, manufactured in July 2005.

Does anyone have a 500U and if so, does anyone notice buzzing?

Could it have anything to do with grounding or cables, or anything else that would avoid me taking the trouble to get a new unit?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a PX50U that's a week old. I love it, it's perfect - PQ is amazing for games/DVDs/HD broadcasts, and it's SILENT.

I just muted it and shut off the AC to listen more closely, and even with my ear up to the back panel, there's virtually no audible buzz.

If it's that noticeable on your 500 I'd consider exchanging for a new unit if I were you.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNett
I have a PX50U that's a week old. I love it, it's perfect - PQ is amazing for games/DVDs/HD broadcasts, and it's SILENT.

I just muted it and shut off the AC to listen more closely, and even with my ear up to the back panel, there's virtually no audible buzz.

If it's that noticeable on your 500 I'd consider exchanging for a new unit if I were you.
same for me, i have a 50px500u though. Also have a 37px50. No buzz at all from even 1 foot, if you can hear it from 10 feet away theres a problem

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Yet another owner with no audible buzz at any time, unless i put my ear behind the panel. It's completely silent at 1 foot in a completely quiet room. This should be the norm.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Buzz from TVA Panny 500U... when I'm sitting ten feet away with the mute on, buzz is audible...
Some factors that may contribute to Plasma Buzz:

“Plasma ‘buzz’ and leakage: The discharge of voltage through each plasma pixel not only creates a burst of ultraviolet light (and a broad spectrum of electromagnetic ‘garbage’); it also causes a small mechanical vibration. Ever been close to a neighborhood power transformer when it shorted out? Remember that big ‘thump’ you heard and felt in the ground? Same principle. We really don’t notice this mechanical vibration or ‘buzz’ at low altitudes because the air pressure is high enough on the glass surfaces to minimize it. But go up in altitude where air pressure is lower, and you will definitely hear it. The glass is not separating: it’s just free to vibrate more vigorouslyâ€

“What is the buzzing problem? How do I know if I have it? You'll know. It's loud. In one instance, it was reported as loud as 72dB just above the display. There will always be some audible hum (60 Hz) if you listen right next to the display. If it's irritating from 10' away, you probably have the problem. The problem was with two capacitors used in the power supply. The power supply board can be swapped out by a service technician and should be covered under warranty.â€

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, I'm really hoping it's something that can be fixed with an in-house visit. It'll be a pain in the neck to take it back, but I'm doing it if I can't rid of this buzz.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.