AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lutron lighting setup with ceiling cans and when I dim the lights, my speakers produce an annoying buzz.

I am using a high end preamp-amp setup and a monster cable power conditioner. I am not sure how the house is wired, but I fear that the lights are somehow on the same circuit as my amps and when dimmed introduces this buzz. When the lights are either full off or on there is no noise. I did a little searching but didnt see a similar problem. I think lutron sells a buzz reduction box, but I think thats for buzzing lights (filaments), not buzz heard through amps/speakers.

Is there an easy fix for this? Perhaps this is a grounding issue? Would putting the lights on a different phase of the circuit box fix this?

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
I fear that the lights are somehow on the same circuit as my amps and when dimmed introduces this buzz

Circuit breakers don't provide any circuit isolation unles they've tripped open.

All circuits in your home are in parallel with each other.

Having said that, the most common type of interference from a lamp dimmer is RF noise. When the triac in the dimmer switches on in the middle of the waveform, a huge burst of RF is created.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.. so how does one alleviate this issue?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts