AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Monitor Audio Gold Centre speaker on top of my TV; it is biwired using Cord odyssey4 to a Denon AVC-A11SR.

I have noticed an annoying buzzing noise from it when the TV is on and the sound is muted or there is nothing playing, it even does it if the amp is off, I get no distortion on my TV screen though, the buzz is not very loud, it can be heard in a quiet room if you put an ear close to the speaker as you would using a quiet test on a setup CD or DVD.

This noise disappears if I disconnect the cable from the speaker, however, if I put the links onto the speaker terminals as you would if you were single wiring the noise returns, the noise is sill there even with no cable attached, if I remove the links and connect my biwire the noise returns.

Seven Oaks Hi Fi have found that a Ruark centre also does this, they tell me Monitor Audio don’t know what is causing it, I don’t think it should make any noise before I play music through it, I feel like taking it back, but what do I change it for?

Can you all let me know if your centre speaker does this ?

Many thanks

Regards

Eddie

·
Registered
434 Posts
This may be a "ground loop" hum. I recently hooked up a new amp to my system and heard this kind of hum from my previously silent speakers (no humming). Do a search using the term "ground loop" or something similar and you may find a solution to your problem.

The culprit (according to what I learned here) is usually caused by the tv / satellite cable line. I turned my system on and heard the hum and then disconnected the cable line from my ReplayTV (which is connected to the TV) and found that the hum disappeared.

I could got rid of the hum by making sure that all the components of my system were attached to two electrical sockets that were right next to each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bwooster

Thanks for the tip, I'll do some research and tests and let you know what I find.

Regards

Eddie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.