AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Toshiba 27 inch television (27A14) from a wholesale club. Good price and it has S-Video, Composite, and Component connections.

But I turned it on and it has an annoying buzz which seems to come from behind the glass screen, not the speakers.

Do all Toshibas in this line buzz or did I just get a bad tube? I read on this forum that this set might really be an Orion.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P
I just bought a new Toshiba 27 inch television (27A14) from a wholesale club. Good price and it has S-Video, Composite, and Component connections.

But I turned it on and it has an annoying buzz which seems to come from behind the glass screen, not the speakers.

Do all Toshibas in this line buzz or did I just get a bad tube? I read on this forum that this set might really be an Orion.
No, this problem is not normal. Yes, your Toshiba 27A14 was made by Orion in Thailand. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer.

There is also a loud pop a 1/2 second after I change the channel every time.

I bought this Toshiba 27 inch because I love my Toshiba 42 inch HDTV, but I am very disappointed. I'm going to try to get my money back and perhaps get a Panasonic.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the answer.

There is also a loud pop a 1/2 second after I change the channel every time.

I bought this Toshiba 27 inch because I love my Toshiba 42 inch HDTV, but I am very disappointed. I'm going to try to get my money back and perhaps get a Panasonic.
The Panasonic 27" analog, like your Toshiba 27A14, is also made by Orion, unless it's a HDTV one.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

Are there any good analog 27 inch TVs for under $250?
Sharp 27" flat-screen at Costco for $229.99. It has component input. It's made by Sharp. Very good reliability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you waltchan for recommending the Sharp.

I bought the Sharp 27F540 Flat Screen and it is excellent. It is so much better than the Toshiba 27A14 (Orion). And there is no buzz!!!! :)

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Thank you waltchan for recommending the Sharp.

I bought the Sharp 27F540 Flat Screen and it is excellent. It is so much better than the Toshiba 27A14 (Orion). And there is no buzz!!!! :)
It's common for the defective buzz to occur in some Orion-made Toshiba TVs (you're not the only one). Last year, my friend returned two Toshiba 24AF44 TVs because of the same buzz problem he heard when powering the TV up. It took him three exchanges to not get any buzz sound at all.

I have not told him yet that his TV it's made by Orion :eek:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.