AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the buzzing problem myself and a few others have noticed on the Panasonic TC-32LZ800 TV, I called up Panasonic and am going to have one of their licensed tech people come over to my house and take a look at it.

I tend to suspect that they won't know whether the buzzing is "within spec" or not, and they'll probably err on the side of Panasonic and say it *is* okay, but I thought it was worth it to have someone check it out anyway.

I'll report back what they say - they're coming over on Monday.

- Tim

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynbiosVyse /forum/post/14209831

How bad is the buzzing? How many people are having this problem?

I'm looking to buy this set. Please let us know how it goes.

FWIW: I have the 37LZ85 and there is no buzzing. Bought it from Amazon

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynbiosVyse /forum/post/14209831

How bad is the buzzing? How many people are having this problem?

I'm looking to buy this set. Please let us know how it goes.

From what I remember, there's only two people in the owners thread that have complained about the buzzing, one of them being tbessie. The other guy accepted damaged goods. So I would not think of this as a major problem in the least.

I ordered my unit from BuyDig.com and I have no buzzing, no dead/stuck pixels, no banding, and no other problems whatsoever with the unit. Though, on my unit there was a small 'flashlight' effect from the LED, at the bottom right corner, at first...but it's no longer there. I guess the TV just needed to be "broken in"...?
My only complaint against the unit is the lack of 1080p support over component. The best it will do over component is 1080i. Other than that though, it's a great set in my opinion and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oihan /forum/post/14214103

From what I remember, there's only two people in the owners thread that have complained about the buzzing, one of them being tbessie. The other guy accepted damaged goods. So I would not think of this as a major problem in the least.

I ordered my unit from BuyDig.com and I have no buzzing, no dead/stuck pixels, no banding, and no other problems whatsoever with the unit.it.

Yeah, I have no other issues with the set; it might just be that I'm particularly sensitive to noise; in a perfectly quiet room with absolutely no background noise, I can hear the buzzing (well, really it's just more of an electronic 'device is on' hum, but louder than I'm used to hearing) from about 3 or 4 feet away.

It wouldn't matter so much, but I've found that the more background hum/whine exists in the multiple devices I'm using at any given time, the more likely I am to get a headache. Combine the TV with the disk/fan noise of my HTPC and the fan noise of my new receiver (surprisingly loud for a little box), and it's just a bit too much for me. So I'd like to knock down as much noise as I can, if possible.

- Tim

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie /forum/post/14214337

Yeah, I have no other issues with the set; it might just be that I'm particularly sensitive to noise; in a perfectly quiet room with absolutely no background noise, I can hear the buzzing (well, really it's just more of an electronic 'device is on' hum, but louder than I'm used to hearing) from about 3 or 4 feet away.

It wouldn't matter so much, but I've found that the more background hum/whine exists in the multiple devices I'm using at any given time, the more likely I am to get a headache. Combine the TV with the disk/fan noise of my HTPC and the fan noise of my new receiver (surprisingly loud for a little box), and it's just a bit too much for me. So I'd like to knock down as much noise as I can, if possible.

- Tim

Well, hopefully the technicians they send over can fix your problem. I don't hear any buzzing on mine so I don't see how it could be "within spec." I would definitely escalate the situation with Panasonic if the technicians don't do anything about it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the tech came over and looked at the TV and opened it up. We identified the noise as coming from the power supply board.

She said that it wasn't an uncommon sound in a lot of sets she sees, but that she's sensitive to that kind of noise too and it would bother her as well.

She replaced the power supply board with a different one, but it made around the same amount of sound - again, it's more of an electronic whine than a deep buzz; if you face the back of the set and put your ear at the top of the middle vent, or directly in the middle back of the set (where the power supply board is attached inside), you should be able to hear it, if it exists on your set.

Since the replacement board made the same sound, I'm guessing that either I was incredibly unlucky, or I'm especially sensitive to this kind of noise.

Anyway, that's the report. I had her put the old board back, since I at least knew that that board didn't make any OTHER sounds besides the ones I'd heard, whereas the new board seemed to have some other, higher-pitched frequencies emanating from it that made it worse to my ear.

Maybe someday Panasonic will put out a replacement board that will be quieter, if I'm lucky.

- Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts