AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a BarcoVision 701 (Manuf 1994) for really good price. It has 12k hours and has a badly burnt blue tube, and it needs a replacement. But this is not the point.

Barco 701 series has two 92mm fans in front, under the lens, next to the power cord recepticle.

I took old fans out, and put 80mm Panaflo fans. The main purpose of those fans appeared to be for cooling PS module, not much more. with 20db panaflo's, Fan noise was virtually eliminated, but consequently other noises showed up. :(

Now I get a buzzing sound coming from ps module. With fan noise gone, this bugs me more than the fan noise. Is there any way of eliminating that? may be changing electrolythic caps with equal or larger value (where suitable) or something?

What I know from audio DIY'ing experience,

1. High Voltage rating is better than low voltage (for reliability)

2. Caps exposed to high voltage are more fragile.

3. Bypassing is good idea

4. Manufacturer does "just good enough" engineering to save $1.

What should I do?

:confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know about electrical modding, but I am going to attach dampening material to the inside of the plastic chassis of my Barco. There is indeed a lot of noise that isn't fan noise, and isolating the chassis further is an easy way to make the PJ its own hushbox I think.

Notice the huge difference in noise level with the case on and off - with additional isolation in the chassis I hope to enlarge this difference even further.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found something interesting the other day.

buzzing Noise seems to be diminishing when I reduce the height of the screen. Should this be enough for me to figure out where to go from here? any help appreciated!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
hmm, not sure I can help you much with the electrical problem. Sounds like something to do with the high voltage side. Can you hear where in the pj it's coming from?

I have a barcodata 701 which I also find much too loud. I have damped the plastic case with that lead-sandwitch-self-adhesive stuff that is used in cars for panel damping and it has help a lot. I also leave the grill off that covers the fans - less air noise. Building the whole pj into a custom box is not out of the question in the future!

I have heard all sorts of negative stories about reducing the cooling so haven't replaced the fans yet but if you are having success I may do that in the new year.

I always find it's better to learn from other peoples mistakes than from ones own!!! Keep us posted...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sometimes if you set your projector way out of the parameters such as the keystone requiring a lot of push rather than keep it toward the zero mark. This can affect the buzzing sound from the power supply. PS is working harder to compensate. I had this same problem till I had had the ISF guru's setup my projector properly. Now no sound.

JohnBoy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.