AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was finally the day I have been waiting for and at 3pm my new 57swx arrived. I must admit that even though I know that there is no 65 inch by any other company that has acceptable analog, and also the 65 inch versions of the Hitachi aren't acceptable in HD, when I saw the size of the new box, for a brief moment I already regreted having to go down in screen size.

After the defective 65 was taken away and I got everything set up with my new set, the moment I put it on HD cable, all my concern just vanished. I wasn't planning on being really critical at first because all my bigscreens in the past haven't looked top drawer until 150 to 200 hours of use, but this thing looked so 3D and so brilliant,even before I changed any of the settings, I knew right then that I had made a very good decision and 57 inches is no problem going forward. Once I set down the contrast and sharpness the picture got even better yet, and the DVD picture now looks better compared to the 65xwx in High definition. I had forgot how dark that XWX screen really is, and that I will miss, but since I never used the decoder hardly at all on that set, it really isn't worth a grand for a darker screen cover. I am also very suprised that I only notice the missed 10 inches of width, and not the 6 inches of height going down in sizes, and this makes the actual 30 percent reduction in screen size feel much less signifigant than I had imagined. I already have my Calibration scheduled for next month, and given how incredible the picture is right out of the box, the sky is the limit for how this thing will look after everything is set just right. I have never seen a better HD picture on any set, of any size or cost, and there is no way the people at Hitachi could look at these 2 sets and find them related, much less identical, but since it finally worked out for me, I am just going to focus on the positive of my 57swx.

If I were faced with getting my set retail, and CC was running that incredible special on the XWX, than I would have bought the XWX 57, but in my circumstances, it was still over a grand difference. I have particularly enjoyed watching the channel 8 with the loop that has repetative scenary because that really displays how night and day the 57 is to the 65. I can hardly wait for a sporting event on ABC because when I was in Conn's a month ago I noticed that the Laker game didn't have that huge haze over it, which was the case on the other model, and I thought was just a 720p on a 1080 set problem, but on that day, I didn't see any haze on the 57 inch at all, and the 65swx right next to it appeared to be looking through a huge bank of fog. I hope in 3 years,when 1080p and LCOS and all the other things currently new on the horizon are worked out,and digital is common place, and analog the exception, that all digital sets will be good in analog, and Hitachi's 65 and bigger hopefully, will all have a picture extremely similar to that of the 57 inch in overall briliance and 3-D effect.

One thing that I haven't been able to figure out is why the LCOS at the same screen size at the Hitachi SWX looks to be bigger when you watch it? I saw it today, and it gave me that perception. It could be the nicer cabinet or maybe the screen begins a little higher, but whatever it is, for some reason it gives me that perception.

For anybody considering an HD set in the near future; if you can use a 57 inch model as your screen size, than there is no real negative to the XWX model other than cost, and with Circuit City running their $1,000 off retail, or a $100 and something over pure wholesale, you may want to take advantage of this one week insane pricing. Last time they ran this it was for only one week, and according to the store I was in this week, it actually started on Tuesday, but in some locations the tags weren't displayed until Wednesday.

Sincerely Yours

A Very Happy HD set owner

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now that everything is perfect and beautiful in your world and you no longer have that abominable 65XWX, can you please, for the love of God, please stop whining about it? Some of us love our 65XWX in all its HD and 3D glory.

Brian

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Buckstead
Now that everything is perfect and beautiful in your world and you no longer have that abominable 65XWX, can you please, for the love of God, please stop whining about it? Some of us love our 65XWX in all its HD and 3D glory.

Brian
Yes I am really enjoying the new set, and I appreciate you taking the time to notice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.