AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on how to do this:

I want my HTPC to auto login on when I power up. Basically so I do not need to enter a password. Although I "DO" need a password on the PC so I can remote in etc... Now I did accomplish this using some procedures on the interent... however I basically locked myself out of the ADMIN account when I did this. I was unable to update any program, edit the registry etc !!! The only fix was to restore the image I had of the HTPC. Now I did build 2 admin accounts so I hope this would help in a situation like the one I got myself into...

My question is this... What procedures do people recommend for me to accomplish this as I have found a couple floating around out there.

One Idea I have is if I have 2 admin accounts one password protected and the other is not... when the PC boots up How do I tell it to load admin profile B instead of A?

This is what I had done... http://www.w7forums.com/automatic-login-t420.html

FsChris

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Easy as pie, unlesss I'm missing something??

- Have two accounts, both with passwords.

- Login directly (not via remote) into the HTPC using one of them, use the "control userpasswords2" method and set the HTPC to auto logon using that ID.

- Whenever you need to remote login, use the other account.

What am I missing??

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
start > netplwiz

Select the account you want to "Autologin" and on the top it the box will be checked for the user needing to enter the password, uncheck it.

Press "Apply". It'll ask you for your password twice and then hit all the ok's and restart your computer to make sure it does what it's supposed to do.

If you are on a domain, let me know, there are instructions for this that involve changes to the registry to make Auto-login work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Additional to these two methods, you can go one step further and avoid the need for two accounts by enabling concurrent logon sessions (like on a Windows Server).

Depending on the version of Windows you're running, you could setup Account#1 to autologon, and while the family is watching Media Centre you can RDP into it also using Account#1 - without kicking the current session off. Details here .

Also, if you use the MCE Standby Tool - some people find it invaluable - it has the ability to set the username/password for autologon (same as "control userpasswords2").

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I just set the account to have no password or one not needed to logon. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay... all very good places for me to start. I will try some out. Thanks for the help !

·
Registered
62 Posts
goto RUN, type 'control userpasswords2'

you can then select the account you want to log in and uncheck the box that says 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'

It will then prompt you to enter the password twice, bam. When the computer powers up, it won't need you to enter the password anymore to logon

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester /forum/post/19594153

Additional to these two methods, you can go one step further and avoid the need for two accounts by enabling concurrent logon sessions (like on a Windows Server).

Depending on the version of Windows you're running, you could setup Account#1 to autologon, and while the family is watching Media Centre you can RDP into it also using Account#1 - without kicking the current session off. Details here .

i got windows 7 ult. running,

but when trying to install it i got a error saying that my version isn't correct

would be nice if i could login to my HTPC todo some stuff while my wife or kid is watching something on the HTPC

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoX /forum/post/19596193

goto RUN, type 'control userpasswords2'

you can then select the account you want to log in and uncheck the box that says 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'

It will then prompt you to enter the password twice, bam. When the computer powers up, it won't need you to enter the password anymore to logon

Mox... I did that earlier with only one admin account on the computer that caused big issues! There was no way to then regain admin features when you had to login to something.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
would be nice if i could login to my HTPC todo some stuff while my wife or kid is watching something on the HTPC

There's all the information you need on this Green Button thread . It's quite lengthy so I'll summarize here.

This will let you log into a separate account on the HTPC at the same time, and won't interrupt or prompt the user account currently logged in:

1. Setup the local user accounts on the HTPC as you want them.

2. Download the patcher [Concurrent_RDP_Win7_RTM_patcher_v1.1.zip] on the first post of the thread . It's also hosted here .

3. Run the patch on the HTPC while logged in locally - not when you're RDP'd in because it has to stop and restart remote services.

4. Test logging into your HTPC via RDP with your separate account.

Essentially, what this patch does is to modify the termserv.dll in \\System32\\. This patch has been around since early Vista days but needs to be updated whenever a new service pack is released. The guys in the thread mentioned above are the real experts. I seem to recall it appearing on MissingRemote originally.

Now if you want to log into the same 'session' (where both you, as the RDP snooper, and the user logged in at the same time, like in VNC where you fight over control of the mouse!), we need to make some changes to local Group Policy:

1. Type 'gpedit.msc' into the Start Search bar.

2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Connections.

3. Double click on "Set rules for remote control of terminal services user sessions", set to Enabled.

4. On the section below under Options, choose "Full control without users permissions".

5. Reboot (or run gpupdate /force at a Command Prompt.

6. Now log into the HTPC with your separate account as before.

7. When logged in, open a command prompt with admin priviledges and type "shadow console".

8. After a few seconds you should be connected to the same session as the main user.

This works for me on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, so if you have problems just shout for help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.