AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried a Home Theater Reciever with a built in USB port and if you can really bypass the sound card. Some reciever manufactures state that you can play mp3, cd's, etc directly with no sound card needed. wondering if it would work with WinDVD etc also....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I believe that is all you can pass over these...simply mp3 and .wav (simple PCM) files. Stuff like DVD audio will not work. There is a USB -> AC3 part made by Abit, but it only works with WinDVD and is not available in the US.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
AFAIK PCM audio is standardized for USB, but nothing else... Until a standard emerges for the transport of DD/DTS data to a receiver, support in software like WinDVD is unlikely. Check www.usb.org/developers/data/devclass/audio10.pdf for further information. It looks to me like they expect the software to decode the multiple channels of audio to PCM and send them all over the USB interface.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I don't think there are any consumer receivers that take multiple channel PCM in on any port. From what I've read, it is an unused standard.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Edirol UA-1D USB->S/PDIF adapter is available in the USA for ~$95 (plus shipping, etc.) from Edirol themselves, or from http://digitalaudioworks.com/ediua1d0.html or from other vendors.

It comes with a compatible version of WinDVD (that can pass AC3 or DTS bitstream, allegedly). I have NOT tested this device, but I don't know why people in this forum keep saying it isn't available in the USA.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Because the Abit version isn't available here :)

Actually, I had always just read that and assumed people were right. I will start steering people towards this one, but $100 is kinda steep.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm planning on upgrading my reciever and was wondering if the USB port would be worth the extra money. I guess I will stick to a soundcard till the standards improve for moving audio directly to a reciever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.