AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is possible? I've tried setting up a 1024x768 and a 1280x720 signal out from my computer (uses an ATI Rage Fury video card) to Input 1 RGB, and set the projector to true and have tried adjusting the pixel info in the projector, but so far all my images still appear to have some scaling applied to them. I'm using Powerstrip 3 to adjust the signal from the computer.

Has anyone tried this and been successful with it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
As an educated guess, it would seem to me that the only way to bypass the scaler is to send a native resolution signal through the VGA port (i.e. 1366X768).

·
Registered
45 Posts
You need to use powerstrip to set the resolution at 1360x768, for example this timing works (60Hz):

1360x768=1360,104,144,216,768,129,3,160,115892,336

Unfortunately, the projector cannot sync to this automatically. On the projector, you need to set:

total pixels = 1824

total lines = 1060

visible pixels = 1360

visible lines = 768

and adjust the horizontal/vertical offsets. Finally, adjust the fine sync using a test pattern such as:
http://marky.com/misc/testpatterns/D...ern_ByMark.bmp

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I see. I also see that I'll need a video card capable of this kind of custom resolution, since my Rage Fury won't do it. I'm going to have to look into a GeForce or an 8500 or something to get this, I guess. It seems in some previous threads in the HTPC forum that people had better luck setting this custom resolution with the GeForce cards, so I'll probably go that route.

I found this thread in the HTPC forum, in case any one is interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...oto=nextoldest

I find it interesting that the last reply in that thread indicates that there still seemed to be a problem with text looking a little fuzzy, which sounds to me like the scaler was still not being bypassed. If anyone can comment, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmmmbo!
I also see that I'll need a video card capable of this kind of custom resolution, since my Rage Fury won't do it. I'm going to have to look into a GeForce or an 8500 or something to get this, I guess. It seems in some previous threads in the HTPC forum that people had better luck setting this custom resolution with the GeForce cards, so I'll probably go that route.
Any Radeon should work fine, I have a Radeon LE. You'll be happier with the PQ, and the 8500 costs much more if you don't need the 3D performance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard that people are more satified with the Radeon's PQ performance, but some people have complained about getting it to work well with Powerstrip to generate a 1366 x 768 image (or something close to it). If anyone can tell me about their success with a Radeon / Powerstrip setup, then I would consider this card for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmmmbo!
I heard that people are more satified with the Radeon's PQ performance, but some people have complained about getting it to work well with Powerstrip to generate a 1366 x 768 image (or something close to it). If anyone can tell me about their success with a Radeon / Powerstrip setup, then I would consider this card for sure.
You won't get 1366x768 on almost any video card, most require dimensions to be a multiple of 8. You can do 1368x768 and have 1 pixels cut off of each side, or like most people run at 1360x768 and have 3 blank pixels on each side. In either case, you should still be driving pixels directly and bypassing the projector's scaler.

The Radeon will have no problem with either of these 2 custom resolutions. I have a Radeon LE and run at 1360x768 under win98se and win2k.

I believe older versions of the driver have had issues, but not current ones. There are problems with current drivers for interlaced resolutions, but this is only an issue if you need 1080i for HDTV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.