AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the Details are not quite worked out as far as dates but a plan is in place for an upcoming CART race to be broadcast by HD Net.

This took a cooperative effort between Speedvision, CART & HD Net so let them know that their efforts are appreciated & that we would like this to move beyond the "trial" phase.

I will give updates as they become available, Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Awesome! Wow! When I saw the thread I thought it was another one that forgot the question mark!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I heard that CBS was going to carry some races later this year. I hope CBSHD gets some HD races too because I have Dish and will not spend $$$ for another receiver and service.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Way to go, HDnet! Glenn, I'm with you, I wish CBS would step up, but I doubt they will do so without some type of sponsorship (ala SEC football). And, let's face it, coming up with a sponsor for HD Cart race coverage will not be an easy task.

·
Registered
304 Posts
any idea which tracks will be covered?

A road track would be nice, but I have a feeling that an oval track will win out since it's easier to produce (less HD cameras needed & it's a better use of distant widescreen panning)

I would *LOVE* to see an onboard camera at 720p/60fps; it would capture the sensation of speed unlike any other broadcast standard.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Very interesting. Fox owns Speed, but HDNet has obviously worked out deals with Fox Sports in the past. Makes a guy really think that Fox is only clinging to 480p because of the relative "newness" of the network, and thusly it's equipment.:confused:

But yeah, if that comes through, that will ROCK!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in. This would rock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW, this would be GREAT. My favorite racing in my favorite format. This is NOT something I would have expected, but a friend of mine suggested that CART would be really sharp to push for some HDTV coverage just to get it in front of some more people. He may have to drive out here from LA just to watch it! Haha. Hope it happens!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do have to say Joseph.............CART, IRL, and NASCAR are all about sponsorship...........you would think that some of these sponsors would want you to see their car in even better..........In NASCAR its pretty easy to see some of the big sponsorships but not some of the smaller ones.........still makes me laugh weekly that the big advertising sports arent HD when it would only help the sponsors..........course this could be the silly ramblings of a huge NASCAR fan

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is great news! Open wheel racing deserves this kind of attention. The fan base and sponsors will surely benefit from HDNET's efforts. Way to go Mark, thanks soooo much. Randy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
I would *LOVE* to see an onboard camera at 720p/60fps; it would capture the sensation of speed unlike any other broadcast standard
That would be awesome. Its about time someone decided to cover some racing.

Chris

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm thinking of those cool in car shots - they really add to the broadcast, as mentioned earlier in this thread, but how realistic is it for us to expect true HD shots from inside the cars? How small could an HD camera be made to be? I doubt if any company has even tried it yet, but would there be any technical hurdles to overcome using current technology?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I hope that they just windowbox the expensive NTSC cameras they already have and combine it with telemetry or such.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
I'm thinking of those cool in car shots - they really add to the broadcast, as mentioned earlier in this thread, but how realistic is it for us to expect true HD shots from inside the cars? How small could an HD camera be made to be? I doubt if any company has even tried it yet, but would there be any technical hurdles to overcome using current technology?
A quick search found a few cameras that could possibly work:

http://www.siliconimaging.com/
http://www.ikegami.com/hdl101.html
http://www.ikegami.com/hdl20.html
http://bpgprod.sel.sony.com/bpcnav/a...oduct.BPC.html

I suspect that even the smallest of these are slightly larger than the typical on car camera currently used though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I previously placed this post in the wrong place:

This is a quote from Autoracing1.com, I have been to this track and can attest that this has been in the installation process for the past year and is now up and running:

Road America has installed a new closed-circuit TV surveillance system that offers a view of about 95 percent of the 4-mile track from one seat in race control. There are 16 cameras right now. Each corner has a stationary camera looking upstream and a pan/zoom/tilt camera next to it that looks downstream. If they see something upstream, they can zoom in on it with the downstream camera.

The cameras are supported by a fiber-optic network communications backbone they installed last year, stated George Bruggenthies, the track President. The fiber network has the capability of supporting a variety of other services including a communication system for track and corner workers (future).

The computerized surveillance system has the capability to record and play back everything seen by every camera for up to 72 hours. Their intent is to eventually put a signal (green/yellow/red) light at all the flagging stations so corner workers can be a bit further back out of harms way. The lights would be controlled by race control.

Today the corner workers are trying to flag with one hand, and talk on the radio with the other. Now they would just have to use the radio. The fiber-optic network is also for broadcast TV. The TV companies now have plugins for their digital cameras. You can do HDTV broadcasts instead of dragging numerous miles of cable all around the track. It also supports the public address system that goes all around the track.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I hope the covered race is Road America. It is one of the most scenic tracks CART races on. It would truely be gorgeous in HDTV.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.