AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a nasty problem w/ c.b. radio interference. Crashes the party any time it feels like it. Yesterday I was at the computer and I thought my plasma display fell, it was so noisy. I jumped out of my chair got to my remote and turned down the volume fast.. Then it pitched so high I thought the tweeters were going to blow.

No doubt someone is illegally "breaker, breaker" braking the law in my neighborhood. I rode around for awhile looking for a mast. I did not find one.

I then went to the local Radio Shack to by 3 RFI filters to try to filter the noise. My outside antenna feeds 2 coax cables to my HDTV STB and then my 3rd cable is my Direct tv feed. After I put the filters on, then I lost some of my hdtv channels. Must have blocked signal too much or something? Maybe those only do analog filtering. So I took them off and got my stations back.

Only problem now is I am back to my unprotected state I started in. I am really afraid it is going to damage my equipment. If you could have heard the sound. It was awful.

Would appreciate any ideas anyone may have on fixes for this.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Over in the speaker forum, someone has about the same problem, but with their subwoofer. With either a CB or HAM doing the interference through the subwoofer amp. Unless you find the guy doing it, you don't have may options. And if he is running illegal power that is scattering all over the frequencies, and thus way out of any legal specs for operation, then even filters won't do you much good. Calling the FCC, more likely than not would be a wast of time, but you'd also have nothing to lose by doing so either. Also the reason you can't find him may be because he is either in a mobile set-up, or is just plain running so much illegal power, that he is not even that close to you as you think he is. But even then, he should be within a few blocks of you, unless he is really running some very high power.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=ham

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
report it to the fcc for one. also check www.qrz.com and you can locate all hams in your area.. next would be to goto www.eham.net i think thats it and you can post requests for help on clearing up the interfearance.. if it is a local ham work with them.. they wont hessitate to work with you to correct it. but usualy its an un terminated coax or loose connection. one othe thing to do is get a cb. when you get the interferance drive around and see if you can find them.. when you find them knock on the door and introduce yourself.. if they are a ham they will work with you.. if its a cb'r youll have to prob report the offender to the fcc and they will take care of the person

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have the same problem from time to time also. It isn't as frequent as it was in the past but it happen yesterday though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wonder if a Monster Power Line Conditioner would help. Some of their higher end units have Coax jack filters for Cable and Satellite.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carmantom
I'm having a nasty problem w/ c.b. radio interference. Crashes the party any time it feels like it. Yesterday I was at the computer and I thought my plasma display fell, it was so noisy. I jumped out of my chair got to my remote and turned down the volume fast.. Then it pitched so high I thought the tweeters were going to blow.

No doubt someone is illegally "breaker, breaker" braking the law in my neighborhood. I rode around for awhile looking for a mast. I did not find one.

I then went to the local Radio Shack to by 3 RFI filters to try to filter the noise. My outside antenna feeds 2 coax cables to my HDTV STB and then my 3rd cable is my Direct tv feed. After I put the filters on, then I lost some of my hdtv channels. Must have blocked signal too much or something? Maybe those only do analog filtering. So I took them off and got my stations back.

Only problem now is I am back to my unprotected state I started in. I am really afraid it is going to damage my equipment. If you could have heard the sound. It was awful.

Would appreciate any ideas anyone may have on fixes for this.

Thanks, Tom
You need to provide more details on your system setup.

1. On what input does it happen? HDTV? Direct TV? Off-the-air TV? DVD? AM/FM? Or all sources?

2. Once you have isolated the source you can try different types of filters.

Note that interference can enter the system in a number of ways and you have to isolate for this. For example:

1. If it is present only on 1 source like Direct TV, then most likely it is coming in through its antenna system.

2. If present on ALL sources then most likely it is coming in through the AC line.

Advise back more details and we will try to give you more possible solutions. Also if the transmitting frequency is known this can help for the solution as well. If it is a CBer, CB is in the 27MHz band which is direct harmonic frequency for the off-the-air channel 2/3.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A couple of points that may be helpful if you end up calling the FCC:

1) CB channels are very close to the 10 Meter ham band. You likely would not be able to tell the difference between CB and Ham interference because of this.

2) CB maximum output power, legally is something like 4 Watts. Not likely to cause you the interference you're talking about.

3) HAM maximum power, legally, for a large percentage of the HAM population is 1500 watts. PLENTY to cause LOTS of interference.

As a ham, in the past, I've caused interference with my own home audio system with just 100 Watts of power. As some have stated, it MAY be, but isn't NECESSARILY coming in on the power line or the antenna input. It may just be coming into the low signal level circuitry inside the amplifier. It's is difficult to tell.

An unlicenced CB operator, illegally pushing high power is not going to be very cooperative. However, the Ham, legally putting out high power, likely does not know he's causing interference, and, if he's a halfway decent guy, should cooperate with you to try to figure out a solution...

Obviously, as previously stated... the most difficult part is trying to find the guy.

Good luck.

- Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.